• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Men's Shoes

Reaction score
Hi,
I am an advocate of style and sustainability. I sent two pairs of my goodyear shoes one from carmina the other one from andres sendra to a cobbler in Canada for resole I was charged More than 1000 CAD including tax. I did some research for example potter and sons they are around the same price. I understand that inflation in north america impacted all of the trades but with 500 dollars I can get a pair of Carminas . I was wondering are there cheaper cobblers in China or Asia that can do resoles for a more reasonable price ? Or since my shoes are in mid range of brand and price I am better off buying new pairs and only resole when I have Edward Green and Gazianos ?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a lot indeed. Do you live in Canada? If not, how much of the $1000 price was for shipping (one or both ways)?

GaiusM

Reaction score
You got scammed. Will probably never see those shoes again. Sorry, do some more research next time.

Reaction score
That is a lot indeed. Do you live in Canada? If not, how much of the $1000 price was for shipping (one or both ways)?
Approximately 900 including close chanel stitching metal toe taps Jr Soles and heels one of the shoes needed a welt change. I am positive there is not any scam the gentleman is very descent and in potter and sons website if you change the rate to CAD it would be the same (Jr close channels, metal toe taps would be 370 jsd).
I live in the Caribbean and no I did not consider the cost of shipping

Reaction score
You got scammed. Will probably never see those shoes again. Sorry, do some more research next time.
No sir I am almost positive there is not any scam involved I have read about the gentleman in the forums may I know which cobblers you use for resoling ?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Approximately 900 including close chanel stitching metal toe taps Jr Soles and heels one of the shoes needed a welt change. I am positive there is not any scam the gentleman is very descent and in potter and sons website if you change the rate to CAD it would be the same (Jr close channels, metal toe taps would be 370 jsd).
I live in the Caribbean and no I did not consider the cost of shipping
Yeah, with all of those extras I could see you getting to 400 CAD pretty easily for one pair of shoes. I’d have skipped the closed channel stitching. If you needed a new welt, I am guessing this isn’t the first resole either? And assuming that $900 includes shipping back to your country (guessing easily 150 CAD for two pairs, if not more) then I don’t think the price is out of line. I’d probably add a Topy to try to stretch out the life of your new soles.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Can you name a few please

As we both mentioned, Potter and Sons. Much, much, much cheaper than 500 per pair.

But generally, I'd either find a local cobbler or go to the brand you bought from (I don't think Carmina does it, and I've never heard of Andres Sena before now). Are you near a big city? Do you want to tell us where you are?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As we both mentioned, Potter and Sons. Much, much, much cheaper than 500 per pair.
No, if you price out on their own website all of the options the OP got, I ended up around $435 CAD (or so, don’t remember exactly).

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
No, if you price out on their own website all of the options the OP got, I ended up around $435 CAD (or so, don’t remember exactly).

I managed to get to $400 CAD with JR Soles, JR Heels, and toe taps... I guess all the options stack up, with the exchange rate, to get close to OP's $500, but still $100 short. And... yeah, that's OP's choice, he could have gone with the $170 sole + heel combo, which I'm sure is great, but he chose to spend $260 on JR (which is probably still high, you can probably get that for less elsewhere, but still, even for JR soles and heels, spending as much as the shoes themselves cost is... not right).

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I managed to get to $400 CAD with JR Soles, JR Heels, and toe taps... I guess all the options stack up, with the exchange rate, to get close to OP's $500, but still $100 short. And... yeah, that's OP's choice, he could have gone with the $170 sole + heel combo, which I'm sure is great, but he chose to spend $260 on JR (which is probably still high, you can probably get that for less elsewhere, but still, even for JR soles and heels, spending as much as the shoes themselves cost is... not right).
Think the main issue here is that the OP started off with “is it okay to pay $1000 to resole two pairs of shoes” and then only later mentions all of the additional options that drove up the price. I think if OP chose all of those options then why complain about the price? Not clear whether metal toe taps are needed (some people benefit, most don’t), not clear why a new welt was needed. If the shoes needed a new welt because they were on their fourth or fifth resole then OP got good use out of them and maybe should have purchased a new pair of shoes instead.

Reaction score

But generally, I'd either find a local cobbler or go to the brand you bought from (I don't think Carmina does it, and I've never heard of Andres Sena before now). Are you near a big city? Do you want to tell us where you are?
Sorry for the spelling mistake it's Andres Sendra, I am a medical student I live in the Caribbean and people barely wear dress shoes here so I am almost there is not any cobbler who can repair goodyear shoes.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Sorry for the spelling mistake it's Andres Sendra, I am a medical student I live in the Caribbean and people barely wear dress shoes here so I am almost there is not any cobbler who can repair goodyear shoes.

I think most cobblers can do it, but if you want to make sure it's done well, just go to Potter & Sons. Don't worry about JR soles and heels, they add like $90 per pair, you don't need to spend that much extra on Carminas. Don't worry about metal toe taps unless your toes are always getting banged up. $340 US for two pairs sounds a lot more reasonable, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads