• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Flight Hat

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of hat/cap would one recommend to go well with my classic Cooper brown leather G-1 flight jacket?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
c_t_photo_webpg-home_54.jpg

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These examples are certainly "flight-ee" anyway....
Come on now, guys....
bounce2.gif

Eagle

Reaction score
I used to wear my garrison cap with my A2 Flight Jacket. These day, as often as not, I will wear a Stetson Temple hat with my (naturally aged) A2.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the G1 was originally military gear, all hats that are "supposed" to be worn with it will make you look like you're playing soldier.

You might look at some ivy or newsboy caps.

David V

Reaction score
Get a crusher and complete the look.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a "crusher?"
My original intention was somewhat academic - I just wondered what Navy guys actually wore with these jackets - though I'd consider actually trying to find such hats. But I guess I'm also quite interested in what civilians wear with these jackets, which is situation with most of us who wear them now anyway.
Recently I have worn the Aquascutum cap shown here with my jacket and it seems to work quite well. I might also wear, if it's colder, my Brooks Brothers pintstripe wool cap. Not sure yet how cold it might get for me to still feel quite comfortable wearing the flight jacket, as I didn't have it last winter.

David V

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
What's a "crusher?"
My original intention was somewhat academic - I just wondered what Navy guys actually wore with these jackets - though I'd consider actually trying to find such hats. But I guess I'm also quite interested in what civilians wear with these jackets, which is situation with most of us who wear them now anyway.
Recently I have worn the Aquascutum cap shown here with my jacket and it seems to work quite well. I might also wear, if it's colder, my Brooks Brothers pintstripe wool cap. Not sure yet how cold it might get for me to still feel quite comfortable wearing the flight jacket, as I didn't have it last winter.

USAAF Crusher: http://www.bellsaviation.com/catalog...p?itemid=19062

navy pilots would have worn an overseas cap. http://www.bellsaviation.com/catalog...6_Nov7_600.jpg

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Why, this is course! From US Wings
Or any type of really beaten up baseball cap, old caps always look good with leather jackets
usaf-symbol_capRD.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads