• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic evening wear cufflinks

PHV

Reaction score
When my violin case got stolen, so did my one and only set of cufflinks that I wear for performances. They were very valuable, and I don't think I'm going to quite replace them. What do you guys recommend looking at for some cufflinks? I wear a tux (not full tails), and usually with a SS tank/w black strap. Please post some suggestions, as I will probably have to make it an internet purchase, given I won't have time for any brick and morter adventures. I looked at www.birks.ca and they seem to have some nice ones. Thanks guys. PS. For now I'll consider the price range up to $500.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When my violin case got stolen, so did my one and only set of cufflinks that I wear for performances. They were very valuable, and I don't think I'm going to quite replace them. What do you guys recommend looking at for some cufflinks? I wear a tux (not full tails), and usually with a SS tank/w black strap. Please post some suggestions, as I will probably have to make it an internet purchase, given I won't have time for any brick and morter adventures. I looked at www.birks.ca and they seem to have some nice ones. Thanks guys. PS. For now I'll consider the price range up to $500.
No links, but I envision a square Sterling / 18kt WG with either a MOP center or some other white-colored material, enamel perhaps? Jon.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Unless you're just up to spend that much, I would think you could find a pair of double sided sterling, onyx or MOP links for much less. Tiffany's has some nice options, btw.

Terrible about your case being stolen. I assume the violin itself wasn't? I surely hope not. My daughter's 1/10 size came this week for her Suzuki lessons. She's very excited.

acole

Reaction score
http://www.ctshirts.com/block search terms: OVAONP STUONP With the discount it's $117.50 for links and studs; the links alone are $60. Â Sterling silver, real onyx + MOP. Â I mean, if you WANT to spend $500, I'm sure you could, but I'm pretty happy with mine...

PHV

Reaction score
Unless you're just up to spend that much, I would think you could find a pair of double sided sterling, onyx or MOP links for much less. Tiffany's has some nice options, btw.

Terrible about your case being stolen. I assume the violin itself wasn't? I surely hope not. My daughter's 1/10 size came this week for her Suzuki lessons. She's very excited.
Well, what good is a case if the violin and bows aren't in it.

They are gone too.

Should I rule out any gold accents, and stick with sterling?

O, and I meant I will spend up to $500. If I find something I like, I definately do not have to spend that.

uppercase

Reaction score
Just when you feel better about hearing about the generosity of Canadian police (in a another post by Linux), you get dealt another blow with a story of a stolen violin. Sad. Just sad.

Are you a professional musician?

I think that we should at least buy you a pair of cufflinks.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Well, I had hoped that since you said "case" and not violin that the unthinkable might have been avoided. I pray your insurance was good.

What kind of violin, if you don't mind my asking?

uppercase

Reaction score
That theft is despicable.
Real low life move.
I hope that it wasn't a fellow musician, rather a random theft.
Bastards.

PHV

Reaction score
Well, I had hoped that since you said "case" and not violin that the unthinkable might have been avoided. I pray your insurance was good.

What kind of violin, if you don't mind my asking?
It was a Morassi, with an Albert Nurnburger bow (Oistrakh's favourite)...

yea when it happened I was very shaken. It really takes time to come to grips with someone else having something you're so intimately familiar with.

I am still debating whether or not to claim it on insurance, since it is on "remote" or whatever they call it on our house. Given the value of the loss, it could sky rocket my parent's home insurance, which given their love of antiques and art is already too high. My new instruments are insured separately by a company that does instruments, and it costs next to nothing. How stupid I was not to look into that beforehand.

Well with regards to the cufflinks, I like some of what has been shown here. I definately don't like anything to be too "blinged" out, and I think sterling/onyx combo would be lovely.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Do you ever get to London?  Benson & Clegg has some lovely double-sided enamel links that cost way less than $500.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No, the links I have are the same pattern but double-sided (chain links). I wear gold colored screw-top studs. I have an old-style formal shirt with a thick pique bib. Regular studs will not get through it. So studs and links don't match, but I like the look all the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads