• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic dress watch for £2-3k

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe in getting a lower end watch in an 18k case. "Lipstick on a pig" would be the unkind way of expressing it - and the Tissot is certainly not a pig - but you likely have my point.

I'd sooner purchase a gold vintage IWC, Omega or Longines than a gold Tissot. Of course you can't just pop into your nearest mall and get one, I do understand.

There's not a thing wrong with a steel case and an ETA movement - the latter offer proven reliability on comparative ease of service when the time comes.

What do you think of this Hamilton?

Nomos is also a brand worth considering - I used to own this one:

katastrofa

Reaction score

For that price range, you can still go for a classic: the Rolex Datejust. I think it checks all of your requirements. Not the best dress watch out there, but for that price range it's truly a classic.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i just don't like the Rolex design.

katastrofa

Reaction score

10mm is really a pretty reasonable height for a dress watch. I have a JLC that's 39 mm x 10.9 mm tall and it fits perfectly under a shirt cuff.

Thanks, this is valuable info. Do you know of any place in the City where I could see this FC? I work such hours that travelling to West End during the week is not an option :(

katastrofa

Reaction score
For that price range, you can still go for a classic: the Rolex Datejust. I think it checks all of your requirements. Not the best dress watch out there, but for that price range it's truly a classic.

Thanks, but I don't like the Rolex design (I guess it's a "love it or hate it" thing) and it's got a steel bracelet anyway.

I don't believe in getting a lower end watch in an 18k case. "Lipstick on a pig" would be the unkind way of expressing it - and the Tissot is certainly not a pig - but you likely have my point.

I do. Another reason why I'm not keen on buying a gold watch is that now gold is seriously overpriced, IMHO. I don't want to subsidize other people's obsessions. (But that's a topic for a different discussion...)

I'd sooner purchase a gold vintage IWC, Omega or Longines than a gold Tissot. Of course you can't just pop into your nearest mall and get one, I do understand.

There's not a thing wrong with a steel case and an ETA movement - the latter offer proven reliability on comparative ease of service when the time comes.

What do you think of this Hamilton?

Nomos is also a brand worth considering - I used to own this one:

I like the design of the Hamilton's dials and numerals, but the inner small dial reminds me of a sports watch a bit. When I look at the watch, I see the dashboard of a vintage racing car ;-) The Nomos is also VERY pretty and quite distinctive, but a bit too modern-looking for the intended use (and there is the same small dial issue as with the Hamilton). If I were to buy a second steel watch, it'd likely be Nomos or some other German brand (Stowa? similar design, don't know about they quality - they are cheaper than Nomos).

katastrofa

Reaction score
Last edited:

OTM

Reaction score
Nice looking examples everybody, I will follow this thread with interest.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not arguing with your preference - we like what we like - but the sub-second dial at 6 o'clock is an absolutely classic design element of a man's dress watch and not sporty at all. This was by far the rule, rather than the exception, until the indirect central sweep second hand was invented. Just look at any classic pocket watch.

Consider that there likely is no more certain definition of traditional elegance in a man's dress watch than the Patek Phillipe Calatrava:

Last edited:

minervau

Reaction score

Thanks, this is valuable info. Do you know of any place in the City where I could see this FC? I work such hours that travelling to West End during the week is not an option :(

Unfortunately not a city dweller so not sure. Best of luck!

katastrofa

Reaction score
Not arguing with your preference - we like what we like - but the sub-second dial at 6 o'clock is an absolutely classic design element of a man's dress watch and not sporty at all. This was by far the rule, rather than the exception, until the indirect central sweep second hand was invented. Just look at any classic pocket watch.

Consider that there likely is no more certain definition of traditional elegance in a man's dress watch than the Patek Phillipe Calatrava:

True, but note that it's much more understated in the Patek! But I take your point about the historical origin.

jshastings

Reaction score
I disagree, go with a JLC if you can afford it. Everyone has a Rolex. Get something a little bit more unique; the movements in JLC's are exceptional.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The inner dial thing. But I like it as a watch, I think Nomos watches are very tasteful and I might get one in the future.

What do you think about this Longines? Is the movement quality, finish etc. better or worse than in Frederique Constant?

http://www.mappinandwebb.com/product/heritage-gents-mechanical-watch-17350026

I like both myself. The Longines is quite small, doesn't have numbers (you said numbers right?) and I don't care for the date placement.

Has anyone mentioned the Portafino? Meets all of your criteria.

VicEnriq

Reaction score

If only it was to be had for the OP's budget (or mine, to be perfectly honest). The Calatrava is the standard for what the OP needs, just 10x more expensive.

I think the NOMOS is a good choice for the price range. I also agree that should stay away from Tissot and Longines.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you shop around, you can get a JLC Reverso around $3500. Admittedly, just outside your stated budget, but a much better choice than most watches in this price range. This is a tricky price point. It's easy to pay too much or not enough for something much better. If you must stay in budget, I suggest an Omega De Ville.

katastrofa

Reaction score
[...] What do you think of this Hamilton?

Coming back to it, what model is that? I can't find it anywhere.
I think the NOMOS is a good choice for the price range. I also agree that should stay away from Tissot and Longines.

I understand why Tissot in 18k gold is a bit of a weird thing, but why should I stay away from their steel case offerings? And from Longines?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads