• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic, casual wardrobe help

voyaging

Reaction score
I need a wardrobe for attending high school (therefore, not too formal).

However, I want it to be as traditional as possible. Minimalistic and traditional, I want to buy as little clothes as possible that are the highest quality.

What pieces are necessary? I was thinking maybe brown loafers, some jeans, maybe chinos, flannels, or cords, some button-downs, a cashmere sweater, maybe a few t-shirts.

I am really inexperienced with style, though, so those are just ideas.

BASICALLY: If you had to build a minimalist, traditional wardrobe for a high school student, what would it include?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some light colored button down shirts (stay away from dark colors. White and light blue are safe), 1-2 sweaters, 1-2 cardigans, slim dark denim in charcoal or blue, slim chinos in grey dark brown and blue/navy, black and brown cap toes (you might as well get these now, you will need them in the future), moccasins, and a couple of neutral colored ties and socks(grey, navy, black, etc.)

emptym

Reaction score
Your list looks good. It's smart to buy high quality classics. But I wouldn't go for the "highest" quality. Your body and taste will change.

Plus, high school is a good time to experiment imo, and I don't think it's ideal to spend a lot of money on experiments. You don't want to bow to trends and have everything be disposable, but a nod to trends here and there is a good idea.

I suggest frequenting thrift stores, outlets, etc., and saving for a few good purchases of things that will last for a long time and/or get better with use, such as leather goods.

The best thing to invest in now is knowledge.

voyaging

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Your list looks good. It's smart to buy high quality classics. But I wouldn't go for the "highest" quality. Your body and taste will change.

Plus, high school is a good time to experiment imo, and I don't think it's ideal to spend a lot of money on experiments. You don't want to bow to trends and have everything be disposable, but a nod to trends here and there is a good idea.

I suggest frequenting thrift stores, outlets, etc., and saving for a few good purchases of things that will last for a long time and/or get better with use, such as leather goods.

The best thing to invest in now is knowledge.

I definitely wasn't going for the highest quality, not like I can afford that anyway. I only have about half a year of school left anyway. I'm just looking for a basic wardrobe that I can upgrade as I go along. Currently I have ZERO quality clothes.

Lark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voyaging
I definitely wasn't going for the highest quality, not like I can afford that anyway. I only have about half a year of school left anyway. I'm just looking for a basic wardrobe that I can upgrade as I go along. Currently I have ZERO quality clothes.

My best advice is to spend on your outerwear and your shoes. You can make cheaper clothes look good with a good quality pair of shoes, but if you get cheap shoes and expensive clothes you'll likely just make the clothes look cheap. A good winter coat is essential, I recommend Gloverall if you are into British classics. For a French classic I would say a St James peacoat would be perfect.

I would avoid cashmere until you've graduated and are in a position where you can be a little more spendy. It's an amazing fibre, but it does tend to pile, and good cashmere is not inexpensive. I would go for a merino wool pullover. The highest quality you can buy is made by John Smedley.

Cords look great but they often wear out pretty quickly so you may want to try some wool trousers for the winter and chinos for the summer, they'll last longer.

Are you sorry you asked!! I could totally go on, I love classics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads