Classic Car Collectors

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mm84321, Mar 18, 2011.

1. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Anyone on here a classic car collector, or have an interest in classic cars?

2. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

Define classic. I just sold my 1969 Firebird convertible and am in the market for a new 60's muscle car.

3. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I'd define classic cars as 20-50 years or older. My dad had a 58' Thunderbird growing up. It was always a blast riding around town in it and seeing the expressions on everyone's face. The nostalgia of older cars is something that I really enjoy.

4. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior member

My grandfather, uncle and I used to go to classic car shows when I was a kid. I got away from it for a little while but now I'm starting to get back into it. Hope to get to a few shows this summer. My grandfather had a '64 Buick that was beautiful. I didn't talk to my mom for a week or so after she encouraged him to sell it.

5. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I've always wanted to go to the annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The Greenwich one is nice as well, but Monterey is just such a gorgeous setting for a car show.

6. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

Yup. I have a '65 Thunderbird and a '73 Mustang Mach 1 that was in Hot Rod Mag back in '89. [​IMG] [​IMG] Pops has '56 and '57 Thunderbirds and a '65 Mustang. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Took my classic car out for Irish food last night.

I've been trying to get ahold of a classic jag forever now. Problem is I cannot seem to sell any of my current cars. Market is shit. Cannot buy without selling something first.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Someday, when I have the space.... I plan on bringing a lot of my favorite cars over from Japan. Great prices on a lot of rarities that didn't even make it to America, because they can't get them registered eventually, without mega restoration and overhaul. I plan to use the 25 years and older clause for importing classics without much extra red tape. Used cars in Japan I've browsed recently: 280SE cabrio with like 60K km's on the clock, all original, $40K pristine euro-spec E24 M6, like $15K this Alfa GTV is great, it's like $12K http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/detail...0CU0005641811/

9. epb

epb Senior member

Took my classic car out for Irish food last night.

I've been trying to get ahold of a classic jag forever now. Problem is I cannot seem to sell any of my current cars. Market is shit. Cannot buy without selling something first.

Which Jag? I've been looking at Series II E-type coupes (not the 2+2, though), hoping to snag one sometime this year. The target is to have two classic Jags by the time I'm 50 (a few years from now) - an E-type coupe and an early XJ6. Ideally both would be from 1970 and nice drivers rather than concourse/trailer queens.

10. roycel

roycel Member

imployt_one: get an E24 M635csi (instead of the M6) if you can. I believe those are considered more desirable. ...I drive an E24 635csi. Will never really amount to much, so I'll probably turbo the M30. [​IMG]

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I have a 67' plymouth satellite

12. Snoopysniffer

Snoopysniffer New Member

Any one know where I can find a Lamborghini Miura,1972,P400 SV? There's one in Hong Kong for $900,000, but that's a bit out of my range. Also Series II Jags are the way to go. Try out Eagle E Types on the net to see some beauties. How about the big Healy's? MK 3000?

13. suited

suited Senior member

My Uncle has a garage filled with a collection of somewhere around 15. A few have never been in the rain. Some of my favorites are his 59' Cadillac and his Yenko/COPO Camaros.

14. impolyt_one

Any one know where I can find a Lamborghini Miura,1972,P400 SV? There's one in Hong Kong for $900,000, but that's a bit out of my range. Also Series II Jags are the way to go. Try out Eagle E Types on the net to see some beauties. How about the big Healy's? MK 3000?

There's 3 Miura P400S' for sale on Yahoo! JP used cars right now, but you know SV's don't exactly come cheap. I think you could expect to spend $500K on a 'common' Miura, easily.

(the silver Miura is sex)
    http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/search/LGS999/

I really like the Islero, actually. Something about those front fenders. If you've ever seen the Beatles rooftop video for 'Don't Let Me Down' there's a red Islero parked on the street that you see a few times, and a series 1 E-type as well. [​IMG]

15. impolyt_one

I have a 67' plymouth satellite

what kind of car is in your avatar? (always wondered) - it looks like a Bertone styled Jaguar XJ?