Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Classic Cameras in Japan.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Aug 1, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

http://www.shutterbug.net/equipmentr...kyo/index.html To the majority of used camera enthusiasts in Japan, a “classic,” or an ideal used camera, must be one that was made in Germany, or at least somewhere in Europe or the US. Mass-produced Japanese cameras, sometimes called “Nicanolympaxes,” are too ubiquitous, too commonplace, and hence lack that important halo of exclusivity. I think the exception might be the Nikon rangefinders.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I went to a 2001 Leica show at an art museum in Tokyo and it was breathtaking. I believe it was considered the premiere private collection of Leicas. It was a visual history of the photography world.

Sadly no sexual assault on the train from Ueno. [​IMG]

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I went to a 2001 Leica show at an art museum in Tokyo and it was breathtaking. I believe it was considered the premiere private collection of Leicas. It was a visual history of the photography world.

Sadly no sexual assault on the train from Ueno. [​IMG]

There's also a rather considerable Leica collection in the Bay Area. Palo Alto's Keeble Shuchat camera store has a large collection of Leica items on the second floor.

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

There's also a rather considerable Leica collection in the Bay Area. Palo Alto's Keeble Shuchat camera store has a large collection of Leica items on the second floor.

Interesting...may be in the Bay Area again soon and have to check it out. The collection in Tokyo was over a hundred cameras, many priceless.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The rangefinder is such a perfect camera, especially when paired with a fine accessory viewfinder. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

it may seem a bit high but it is said that about 50% of all antique leicas exist in Japan. Also LK if you are ever in Tokyo you would probably die if you checked out some of the camera shops in Ginza. Quite a few beautiful old ones. camera shops in Ginza. Quite a few beautiful old ones. Most all are German or Euro models and almost all in very good shape for being old.

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The rangefinder is such a perfect camera, especially when paired with a fine accessory viewfinder.

LK, what do you think about the new Ikon?

[​IMG]

Jon.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

LK, what do you think about the new Ikon? Jon.
    I handled one a while ago and it had a really nice viewfinder. However, like many of the great camera names, this isn't a true Zeiss as it's manufactured by Cosina and seems to use Leica lenses--a suitable irony as Zeiss and Leitz were huge competitors during their heyday. It would seem not dissimilar to the Bessa line of cameras which also uses a past great name of Voigtlander as its "brand". In fact, Zeiss used to boast of its 1/1250 speed on the Contax and that the Contax didn't have any external moving parts as opposed to the Leica screw-mount cameras. However, the M rather put the Contax out of business; and besides, Zeiss was concentrating on its exceptionally complex and expensive Contarex SLR which was something of a failure. After that, the camera division closed.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In fact, Zeiss used to boast of its 1/1250 speed on the Contax and that the Contax didn't have any external moving parts as opposed to the Leica screw-mount cameras. However, the M rather put the Contax out of business; and besides, Zeiss was concentrating on its exceptionally complex and expensive Contarex SLR which was something of a failure. After that, the camera division closed.

Very nice:

[​IMG]

Not as nice:

[​IMG]

Jon.

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Very nice:

[​IMG]

i was close to buying one of these a couple of years ago, but the salesgirl told me it did not function, and they were unable to repair it. the shop actually had 2 or 3 of them, but they were only being sold as collectibles.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Very nice:

[​IMG]

Not as nice:

[​IMG]

Jon.

Both of those are really complex pieces of machinery. Zeiss always managed to over-engineer things.