Classic brogue

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jonnyt, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jonnyt

jonnyt Senior member

Am looking for a stylish but not fashion-forward take on the classic brogue.
    I have almost decided on a MTM G&G Rothschild in antique oak on the soft-square MH71 last (similar to this)

Should I just pull the trigger on an obviously great pair of shoes or are there any obvious alternatives that I haven't managed to find online?

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

Dependent on what other shoes you are used to I would search a bit more for a classic brogue before I went high-end MTM unless your feet are abnormal. Search thru some of the forum sponsors, the shoe p0rn thread, etc. for some ideas.

I went with a MTO Edward Green Malvern in dark oak on the 202 (took like 3 months) and then went with the Inverness in burgundy antique on the 888 which I bought from a forum member NIB. I must say I will not have a need for a full brogue for some time, and that is my favorite type of shoe.

3. jonnyt

jonnyt Senior member

Well, in brown I currently have a dark brown wholecut with medallion, a dark cherry captoe and a burgundy monkstrap.
    I only have one or two more pairs in mind for brown dress shoes, a dark classic brogue, a suede captoe and something in a lighter brown or tan. I'm not in a rush for these, just slowly building up a quality collection. So I'm not looking for a bargain and am happy to spend a bit more for a quality pair that will last me years. I looked at Lobb but couldn't find any brogues at all on their site and the EG and C&J options like nice but just a little less elegant than the G&G pair.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

If you like it and are comfortable with the price, I would say go for it. That's a lovely shoe, and should last you decades.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Go for the G&G, it'll be classic.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

on this last, i consider a tendency to fashion forward...

7. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1

8. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

Not sure one can just jump head-first into G&G. One needs to work up to it IMHO. I'm still not there FWIW.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you set on an oxford? Because I think the Ralph Lauren Darlton is as classic looking as it gets. Plus, it is shell and cheaper than G&G.

Even better, get both.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

11. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

Pull the trigger man!

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

This can be done tastefully - both are great options.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

13. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

+1, exactly what came to my mind when I read the title. That said, they may not be as sleek as what the OP is after.

14. jonnyt

jonnyt Senior member

Not sure what you mean by this, I should work my way up in quality or sleekness/ aggressiveness of last? The reason I fancy these is that I bought a pair of AS Handgrade Moore's from Leffot a few months back (the pair that look exactly like the G&G St James II) and they didn't have the AS tree, so gave me the G&G MH71 and it fits the shoe perfectly. I love the fit and style of the AS pair and have heard a lot of good things about G&G, so figured they would be a good next shoe. I also want to buy in Sterling as the Swiss Franc is so strong at the moment I am in effect getting a huge discount.

These look nice but I much prefer Oxfords to Derbys.

Exactly, my favourite shoes are a pair of EG's on the 888 and the aforementioned AS, so i do seem to prefer the sleeker look.

While procrastinating, I saw these on the same sight and bought them (again, love the weak £...) so I will wait to see how they fit and if I like them as much as I expect I will, I'll pull the trigger on the Rothschilds.

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member