Classic Bomber Jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, May 28, 2008.

1. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Oh well....
    Just got a bit carried away and bid and won (BIN)- almost on the spur of the moment - the attached brown bomber jacket. A Cooper A-2, seller said. Actually, I thought A-2 is regular drop-down leather collar and G-1 has the fur collar. Well, as I've said, I'm new to the bomber jacket scene.
    'Guess, as long as the jacket does arrive, the only problem might be the fit, but
    40s I've tried on have been okay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

2. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Actually, now that I look at more posts, it looks like the eBay seller misrepresented the jacket and it isn't an A-2 but looks like a G-1. Is that correct? In my case, however, G-1 is just fine. It's the look I wanted. However, as this seller is one that sells a thousand kinds of items, I'd hardly be too surprised if he or she is not a bomber jacket aficionado and got the identification wrong.
    Someone who knows - please respond. Also, any opinions? Jacket looks great to me, in photos.[​IMG]

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

4. Nicesuit

Nicesuit Senior member

Here's a copy of a WWII G-1. http://www.lostworldsinc.com/G-1FlightJacket.htm Older Cooper's are great jackets and for the price I think you got a pretty good deal. It might not be an exact copy of a WWII G-1 but if you're not a stickler for such things I wouldn't worry about it. The other jackets are for people that want THE jacket, especially at the prices they go for. That's still a great looking coat and 99.99% of the people in the world wouldn't know if there was a dimes worth of difference between the two. It looks good, it'll give you the look you wanted, and the price was more than fair. An all around wise purchase I would think. As far as fit goes the Cooper was cut a lot fuller than the originals so don't expect it to fit tight. Let us know what you think when you get it.

5. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Thanks! That makes me feel already - that it's more likely to be larger than smaller. If the sleeves are too large I may be able to do something, as I have before. But I hope not.
    You didn't answer the question about misidentification, but would you say this jacket is definitely NOT an A-2? Thanks again.
    [​IMG]

6. Nicesuit

Nicesuit Senior member

Definately not an A-2. A-2's had the leather collar only. This jacket was based off of the Navy's G-1.

7. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

What I figured. I mentioned it to the seller, whom I see sells a thousand types of items.
    I am basically a perfectionist and slightly obsessive; I frequently see an out-and-out error on eBay and simply send a brief note to the seller. The other day a jacket was marked "40" in the headline and a photo clearly showed another size on the label. I let her know. In that case, it was sheer carelessness.

8. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

9. Nicesuit

Nicesuit Senior member

There are some great books out there on flight jackets and what was done to them to make them more personal and unit specific. It's almost silly how much literature has been devoted to the subject. I guess it's just a testament to how well they were made and the image the men that wore them gained.

10. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I saw one in our main library today. It showed virtually all very decorated jackets - not really of interest to me. Like a million other things, I notice there are many who are really, really into this thing. As all the other aspects of wars and the military. I'm into all sorts of things related to clothes and style but I basically got interested in bomber or flight jackets as one aspect of the leather jacket search I've been going through - now coming to realize there are the major divisions, such as bike, bomber, and other types. And, like with so many other things, there are the ones considered by some as "classic," certain makers to look for, and all the rest....
    Started when I noticed one day a lot of wear on my most-likely '70s burgundy Berman's leather period piece, which I still get compliments on.

11. Conrad

Conrad Senior member

I know this is kind of late since you already picked a jacket up, but something to keep in mind is flight jackets run large. If you buy the size you normally wear, it's designed to be worn as the outergarment of the military issue cold weather gear.

I have a Brown A2 that when I bought it i was torn between whether I was going to use the jacket practically or as a fashion accessory. To wear it as a normal jacket i'm a "small tall" in military sizing. To wear it as an outer garment, I'm a "Large short" (which is what I am in military sizing for shirts and jackets normally).

I wound up deciding to get one to use as outerwear for rain and when camping and such. I wear a 40 jacket and my A2 measures about 45" actual.

But I'll tell you what, It's stood up to everything I've thrown at it except the lowered tailgate of a pickup truck. One of the corners snagge dthe jacket as I walked by and and put about a 3" rip on the right side and the back. Over the last 7 years or so I've managed to wear almost all of the finish off of it, but the leather is still in as good of condition as the day I got it (i keep it oiled, so the lack of lacquer isn't that big of a deal)

12. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Thanks. I'll keep the oil in mind. I rushed to bid BIN impetiously but now that I study the measurements described I'm wondering if they're not even correct. The seller's giving 36" for a certain way of measuring the sleeves seems terribly long. The main thing will be if the waist is tolerable and how long the sleeves are. For shirts in general I seem to do best with 29 sleeves. I put an awful lot into my watches and I don't like them buried deep within.[​IMG]
    A few years ago I was getting tired of the sleeves being so long on my leather winter coat and took it to a tailor who was willing to go to all the effort to have them shortened. We thought it was going to turn out okay but he didn't understand the fine points of shortening sleeves on a coat like that and they were greatly shortened but way too tight. I could barely wear the thing. Then I had to go around finding someone to try to at least partially undo the damage so the coat would be wearable. Now it's at least that.

13. Nicesuit

Nicesuit Senior member

That sleeve does seem a bit long for a size 40. I can certainly understand not wanting your watch buried under you jacket, that always sucks. You may have to splurge one of these days and have an Aero or Good Wear made. Those would be considerably more fitting.

14. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Turns out this a.m. my wife finally mentioned a little package that already came Wednesday and was placed in the wrong place.... The bomber came in ONE DAY! It is, indeed, "awesome," as the seller wrote. And amazingly the fit seems virtually perfect as well, despite the dimensions that were given in the description.
    So far I'm TOTALLY satisfied!
    My '70s (assumably) Berman's burgandy leather jacket, which I had purchased preowned, does show wear in quite a few places so I really could rationalize replacing it, but the replacement of this with the G-1 flight jacket reminds me of how I upgraded, for the daughter's wedding, from a '70s burgandy, notch-lapel dinner jacket to my shawl collar Parisian dinner suit last year. I won't say any more here, as I already submitted about a thousand posts last year and early this year about this upgrade, but this forum had plenty to do with it and I'm extremely grateful.
    I really did know virtually nothing about such leather jackets until very recently!
    Should I call this a "bomber," "flight jacket," or something else (photos with earlier post in same thread)?
    Any idea what the leather on this ('80s?) Cooper jacket would be? If you respond would that be a pretty difinitive answer? BYW, some of these Cooper jackets give the style (i.e. "G-1") and type of leather in labels but I didn't see it when I quickly looked over the jacket this a.m. before leaving for work.

15. Nicesuit

Nicesuit Senior member

I would think you could get away with bomber or flight jacket either one. The coat is most likely goat skin but for a definitive answer I'd head over to Fedora Lounge and ask those guys. Someone over there could probably give you an entire history lesson on it. They know their jackets.