• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Class mobility in a classless society?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Class is now more about taste than economic status. There was a decent article in the Atlantic about this a few months ago.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could that author be any more pretentious... he is worse than the X'ers themselves!

flashback

Reaction score
I think we definitely still have classes, although they probably don't matter much in the grand scheme. To some people its about money, and as someone else said some think its about taste. I believe that it's about the way you act, your values & morals. How you are, I guess. To that end, someone with little money and a job that is usually seen as low-class can still be classy. Its common sense for the most part, but the things I think that can make a person classy regardless of other factors is the way they dress - regardless of if it is cheap or used clothing, nothing gaudy or tacky eg. name brands prominently displayed, a strong vocabulary & literacy, does not use swear words frequently, disinterest in celebrity "news" & reality tv, no disgusting habits, comfortable with who they are, not trying to be someone else or live up to societal pressures. Someone that is very secure and their own person, lives by their own refined standards. It has something to do with taste, but taste isn't everything.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is this the article: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200903/class-system ?
confused.gif

Hey, I said it was decent.

aizan

Reaction score
read a book. read this book. in any case, hunter/gatherer societies are the only classless societies.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Usually within sociology (at the most basic levels), social classes are defined by occupations, education, and the lifestyles associated with those levels of education, etc. It's rarely defined by money; or more specifically, by salaries. Technically a "working class" man can make more money than an "upper middle-class" man. Due to situations like this, their lifestyle choices, education, etc define their place on the social strata.

that's just my take on the subject.

I honestly wouldn't argue "taste" plays a role in it, as "taste" is subjective and can't really be measured. I'm very familiar with several upper-class people who have what I would consider terrible taste.

A lower class member of society will not be part of the upper class simply because he "class". The definition of the word is being misused here. Class, in this subject, is a category in the social strata; "classy" is simply a ridiculous adjective that says nothing about one's "class". Personally, I'd shoot for "sophisticated".

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Tartan flannel shirt= Poor.

Tartan flannel trousers= Rich.

laugh.gif

Slim tartan flannel shirt = creative class
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads