1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Clarks X Horween Desert Boot Collaboration (End Clothing Fall Sale)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by NormanF, Oct 3, 2013.

1. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

1 recrafting - $100
    1 brand new Horween Clarks - $120

Math does not compute. If a crepe resole was $25, I'd probably do it. Anything more and I would have to decide whether the uppers are worth another couple of years or not.

But it's your money, you can do whatever you want. I just said what I'm going to do. It's really not up to you to decide for me or anyone else.

I don't think the majority of SFers buy Clark's for long term durability.

2. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

At $50 to $60 for a new Vibram sole, I agree on the cheaper DB, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade them unless its standard leather, in which case you could get more life out of them.

But with the Horween at $120-$140, I think it makes more sense. You're not spending as much as you could on a new pair of boots and the high quality leather may make it a definite keeper!

Of course it all depends on whether you have a sentimental attachment to your DBs enough to warrant resoling them.

3. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I finally got the boots today - they are in UK size 8 and and are a rich taupe tan leather.

According to the Horween tag - the leather is latigo - a kind of rich and velvety leather that improves with age.

The only drawback of the boots at the price is I was expecting them to be made in the UK! No such luck.

I'm not complaining they fit very nicely and I have no problem with the sizing. There is no insole but there is room for a ultra-thin third party insole that would take up some room and provide support for the feet.

Truth be told, I find myself liking them a lot!

4. meso

meso Senior member

:facepalm:

2 people like this.
  5. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I was let down when it said "Made In Vietnam."

American leather made in Asia! Hah Hah Hah

6. Venser

Venser Senior member

Just stop, man.

7. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

I have a pair of these I got today as well. I got the burgundy ones. They are fine, but all of the standard desert boots are fine too. They are actually Chromexcel. :happy:

8. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

Hmm... it doesn't say that on the Horween tag! I find myself liking the leather. It'll age well but I'm not thrilled with the crepe soles. They are already turning soot black! I guess that's adding "character". For me, the tan taupe color is close enough to the sand desert classic color. Only thing now left is to replace a frayed lace and enjoy them.

9. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

it's possible that different colors used different types of leather.