1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Clarks Desert Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jared, Jan 8, 2007.

1. JDJ

JDJ Member

Anyone know if the Banana Republic 'Sahara' boot runs a little big like the Clark's?

2. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

Just another data point: I wear a 9.5D or 9.5E in AE, and my 9.5 Clark Desert Boots fit well.

3. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

The sand suede were very difficult to get a hold of in size 9. They actually won't be shipping again until 7/31. So I called a Clarks boutique in San Francisco and they sent the shoes out to me with FREE shipping.

I would have preferred a slightly more brown color but the sand is pretty cool. It goes with the whole desert muted palette I'm going for.

4. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

It's kind of funny that Clarks calls this a sand suede:

[​IMG]

but this is also a sand suede:

[​IMG]

The desert boot is too greyish for me. If it were more like the sand suede of the second pic I would have took it along with my brown suede.

5. tiecollector

I agree the wallabee color is a little nicer, but the desert boot still isn't bad. Do you think a cobbler could dye the suede?

6. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i love the desert boot sand suede. my original pair from 2 years ago is weathered, but still holding up great.

RFX - these things run a bit big, i would stick to 8's in clark's DB unless you feel you really need that extra width.

7. tiecollector

I am a 9 in Converse Chuck Taylor and got a 9 in the sand suede desert boot and it fits me like a glove.

8. TransparentCranium

TransparentCranium Senior member

I'm a 7.5 in chucks but the 7.5 in clarks was too big on me, you may want to try them on.

9. obsessis

obsessis Member

I think I wear and 11 in desert boots and desert treks and 10.5 in wallabees. I need to get the larger size for the extra width since they don't make wide sizes. Anyone with wide feet might want to take that into consideration.

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

Picked up some of these in the grey, really nice. For reference I'm a 12 in Adidas/Nike and an 11 fit me perfectly.

11. Lovegasoline

Lovegasoline Active Member

Anyone know if the Banana Republic 'Sahara' boot runs a little big like the Clark's?
    Yes, both are pretty much the same size lengthwise and run big. I got both at home to try on. There are some subtle differences between the two boots. The Sahara boot is a little narrower in width (which fit my foot better) and the eyelets for the lacing start a little lower on the boot (closer to the toe) which contributes to a snugger fit. I generally wear a size 9 and I settled with a size 8 in the Sahara. Other minor differences are the eyelets on the Sahara are plain while the Clarks have brass eyelets. The Sahara is slightly more 'fitted' and anatomy following at the heel/ankle in both fit and profile vs. a slightly more anti-fit with the Clarks. The Clarks has only two rows of eyelets vs the Sahara's three, and the Clarks also has a sharper 'corner' where the slope of the front meets the top...both of which IMHO give the Clark boot a slightly more designy edgy looking profile. The Sahara boot in Beeswax is also a shade darker in tone than the Clarks Beeswax, and the Clarks is a slightly warmer brown hue. I bought the Sahara based on one primary consideration, simply because it fit me better (although I liked the color tone and profile of the Clarks better and it is cheaper to boot [to shoe? working through a bad pun here]). I put an insole in it to take up some volume (I have a narrow foot). Frankly, if you are accustomed to ULTRA-KUSH sneakers and are on your feet allot (i.e. walking all over the city's cement vs. the Sahara's fine grain sand) they are not the most comfortable shoe, even with an added thin insole (then again, shitheaps of shoes, including Chucks seem to neglect 21st century innovations in foot comfort). They are attractive.

12. Lovegasoline

Lovegasoline Active Member

BTW, can anyone share their experience with protecting the BEESWAX boot? Are you using anything...for example, wax (if yes, what kind...does it contain silicone?) ....or oil? I wonder if the stock finish is really a true beeswax finish(?). I'm an artist and have blocks of both bleached and unbleached beeswax (unbleached is a little 'stickier/softer'). I could always heat a little beeswax and rub it on a warm boot, then buff the excess off. Something tells me though that in modern times, manufacturers use silicon and other ingredients rather than, or in place of, just beeswax.

13. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I actually have 4 pairs of the Banana Republic Sahara boots, and I prefer them to Clark's. they are narrower, and because there are three rows of eyelets, its a snugger fit. Plus, on sale they were 44 bucks each.

14. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

BTW, can anyone share their experience with protecting the BEESWAX boot? Are you using anything...for example, wax (if yes, what kind...does it contain silicone?) ....or oil? I wonder if the stock finish is really a true beeswax finish(?). I'm an artist and have blocks of both bleached and unbleached beeswax (unbleached is a little 'stickier/softer'). I could always heat a little beeswax and rub it on a warm boot, then buff the excess off. Something tells me though that in modern times, manufacturers use silicon and other ingredients rather than, or in place of, just beeswax.

I use Pecards leather dressing on mine and it works fine.

15. truestorytravis

truestorytravis Senior member

lovegasoline, it sounds like your plan would work fine. i've used beeswax and obenaufs on my beeswax clarks. i prefer the beeswax because the obenauf's seems to make stuff stick to the leather, and they get dirtier faster. i've never had much luck with kiwi on them. the beeswax i had was by havana joe, i think.

16. dual

dual Member

What's a good price for Clark DB's? I looked at my local shop and they have prices ranging from $120 to $160 depending on the colour. They also have a pair on sale for around $80 but it's not really the colour I was looking for. Is $120-$160 overpriced? I see ~$95 on Zappos.

I've also looked at the ones at Banana and right now they have their 'Sahara' boot on sale for $70. I don't like how the Sahara looks though despite the similarities between that and the DB.

17. tiecollector

They are $88 at the Clark's boutique and $94 or so on their website iirc.

18. postnobills

postnobills Active Member

So, I just ordered a pair of the beeswax leather.

First of all, would it be good for me to buy something to put on these shoes for protection?

Secondly, if yes, what should I get?

Thirdly, how do I apply such...liquids/solutions?

That's all. I just want my boots to be as best as they can be. Yay.

19. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I wear a US 6E in dress shoes (Florsheim) and 6.5 in my Chucks. Should I get a 6 or 6.5 in Clarks?

20. Comrade Lenin

Comrade Lenin Member

Damn, Zappos always seems to have every size in but mine. I want that grey leather[​IMG]