Clarks Desert Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jared, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Seanallen

Seanallen Senior member

Okay the winter is coming faster than I thought, I've had no experiance with snow becuase I'm from Las Vegas, so how do I winterize my boots? Also where can I find leather desert boots for cheap?

2. Gentry

Gentry Active Member

not strictly clarks desert boots but has anyone bought boots from H by Hudson? Seen these and was thinking about getting them.

[​IMG]

3. Clyde099

Clyde099 Well-Known Member

I just got my Clarks brown suede form shoes.com.
    I've never owned a pair of suede shoes, so upon opening the box I noticed the shoes were kinda scuffed.
    Is this how suede is supposed to be (new)?

...I guess since suede is very fragile I shouldn't worry too much about it since it's going to get scuffed and what-not anyway, correct?

I got the Clarks for $50 and also got a pair of Mojave 2 boots at DSW for ~$45 since they were on clearance. Mojave 2 boots are a lot heavier but feel really sturdy.

What do you guys recommend to weather-proof suede clarks?

4. Robert

Robert Senior member

not strictly clarks desert boots but has anyone bought boots from H by Hudson? Seen these and was thinking about getting them.

[​IMG]

I really have an aversion to the curled up front some of these boot makers do. I don't get it.

5. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

6. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

The curl does not remain while your foot is in it.

7. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

I really have an aversion to the curled up front some of these boot makers do. I don't get it.

I figure that by shaping the boots this way, they better allow your foot to roll while you walk.

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

I figure that by shaping the boots this way, they better allow your foot to roll while you walk.

That could be.

9. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

I just got my Clarks brown suede form shoes.com.
    I've never owned a pair of suede shoes, so upon opening the box I noticed the shoes were kinda scuffed.
    Is this how suede is supposed to be (new)?

...I guess since suede is very fragile I shouldn't worry too much about it since it's going to get scuffed and what-not anyway, correct?

I got the Clarks for $50 and also got a pair of Mojave 2 boots at DSW for ~$45 since they were on clearance. Mojave 2 boots are a lot heavier but feel really sturdy.

What do you guys recommend to weather-proof suede clarks?

how did you get the clarks for $50

10. danilo

danilo Senior member

I think it's just to make them look like they've been used.

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

The curl does not remain while your foot is in it.

Really? Great.

12. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

my feet are only size 8 and when i wear these clarks with apc ns my feet look huge.

13. Robert

Robert Senior member

Not surprising. I find Clarks generally look big when worn with skinny jeans. They're better with more of a slim fit jean and slightly wider leg opening, and for this reason, also look great with khakis and trousers.

14. aerether

aerether Senior member

So I got my Grey Suede DB in yesterday.

Walked around in them for the day and when I took them off the part of my leg where the very top of the boot hits had been rubbed raw/bloody. Actually, only a small patch on the back of my left leg and a slightly larger patch on the outside of my right leg.

But still.

Gross.

After giving both leg and foot a thorough wipedown and disinfecting, I want to ask if this initial discomfort is part of breaking in these boots (feeling the edge of the leather, it seems pretty rough to me). I sized down a half size from my size in Adidas Sambas to a 9M, same as my Converses and my Allen Edmonds.

Or should I attribute it to the fact that I was wearing ankle socks and not a calf-length deal? (I understand, though, that some people prefer to wear this boot sockless.)

15. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

If it's the top of the boot, it may get better after a break-in period. During that period, I would seriously suggest wearing calf-length socks.

Unless I wear thick wool hiking socks with my DBs, a similar thing happens just above my right heel, at the thickest part of the shoe. After three months, I'm about ready to give up on breaking them in any further and get another pair, sized up one half.

Make sure your DBs fit the way you want to wear them, sockless or not.

So I got my Grey Suede DB in yesterday.

Walked around in them for the day and when I took them off the part of my leg where the very top of the boot hits had been rubbed raw/bloody. Actually, only a small patch on the back of my left leg and a slightly larger patch on the outside of my right leg.

But still.

Gross.

After giving both leg and foot a thorough wipedown and disinfecting, I want to ask if this initial discomfort is part of breaking in these boots (feeling the edge of the leather, it seems pretty rough to me). I sized down a half size from my size in Adidas Sambas to a 9M, same as my Converses and my Allen Edmonds.

Or should I attribute it to the fact that I was wearing ankle socks and not a calf-length deal? (I understand, though, that some people prefer to wear this boot sockless.)