• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Apparently the desert mali is being reissued for FW 2010. From the various web sources, the reissue style might include black, brown, and three types of suede (guessing desert tan, some type of brown, not sure on the 3rd version). UK only, possibly. Anyway, am mildly intrigued.

Anybody know the price, and of a US source, or a UK dealer willing to deal to the US?

The Clark's UK site has the Mali up, but won't ship to the US. I asked Oi Polloi, who stock a good number of Clark's models, and they said they ordered it but that the model was canceled by Clark's. So who knows. Shame if it won't get released in the US, though.

nhung2609

Reaction score

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Thanks. Ijust kopped a pair in my size, 11.5. The picture looks like the beeswax but at checkout the color is reading: Grey.

At $37 bucks, I really don't care.

paulvarjak

Reaction score
Got a pair of Beeswax DB's a few weeks ago and I love them. Found them for about 80 bucks on Amazon, practically any size and color you could want. The issue I have is that they're a little more loose around the ankle than I'd like. I know this normal because of the two-eyelet style, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with modifying the eyelets? My idea is to go to a shoe shop and have them put a third pair of eyelets in. There's enough space to do this, and it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to do (just punch a hole in the leather and pound in the brass rings, right?). Anyone done anything like this before?

ev01ut10ndt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
^^Thanks. Ijust kopped a pair in my size, 11.5. The picture looks like the beeswax but at checkout the color is reading: Grey. At $37 bucks, I really don't care.
Do they have only one gray suede? Or are there other ones? I just wanted to be sure what they looked like before ordering. The J. Shoes that American Eagle is selling for ~$50 after coupons would be another alternative I was considering.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paulvarjak
Got a pair of Beeswax DB's a few weeks ago and I love them. Found them for about 80 bucks on Amazon, practically any size and color you could want. The issue I have is that they're a little more loose around the ankle than I'd like. I know this normal because of the two-eyelet style, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with modifying the eyelets? My idea is to go to a shoe shop and have them put a third pair of eyelets in. There's enough space to do this, and it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to do (just punch a hole in the leather and pound in the brass rings, right?). Anyone done anything like this before?

for wide around the ankle, you could try either one of those gel heel cushions or a tongue cushion. in my experience british shoes tend to be roomier around the ankle than american shoes. could be that clark's have this fit because they were made in england one day long ago.

paulvarjak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
for wide around the ankle, you could try either one of those gel heel cushions or a tongue cushion.

It's more that they're roomy around the top of the ankle, above my achilles tendon in the back and where a third eyelet would go in the front. They're okay towards the bottom of my ankle and my heel.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hxh_killua
I'm from Toronto and own a pair of Tan Leather desert boots. http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/departm...ct-is-20338820 I want to know if there are any precautions I need to take when the winter hits and salt is all over the place. Thanks.
I wouldn't wear them in the winter, invest in a more substantial pair of boots for the snow/slush in TO. Those are a neat pair of Clarks though.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paulvarjak
It's more that they're roomy around the top of the ankle, above my achilles tendon in the back and where a third eyelet would go in the front. They're okay towards the bottom of my ankle and my heel.

This may help.

011017310129.jpg

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
I wouldn't wear them in the winter, invest in a more substantial pair of boots for the snow/slush in TO.

Those are a neat pair of Clarks though.

+1. I live in Southern California and I don't even wear them in the rain. The material is quite thin and the sole provides practically no traction on wet surfaces.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hxh_killua
I'm from Toronto and own a pair of Tan Leather desert boots.
http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/departm...ct-is-20338820

I want to know if there are any precautions I need to take when the winter hits and salt is all over the place.

Thanks.

You can slap on as much Obenauf's, Sno-seal and mink oil as possible, and your feet will still get wet and cold during a Toronto winter.

Desert boots are "boots" in name only. They're not made for winter. Think of them as high top sneakers with only two eyelets.

TheodoreJulians

Reaction score
Clarks Desert Boots have been on my mind all month. I'm not gonna make it through the week if I don't pick some up. I'm going with the oak or the teak destroyed. I can't wait! Here's the problem though. The teaks look like a different color on EVERY site! Does anyone actually have these?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
The Clark's UK site has the Mali up, but won't ship to the US. I asked Oi Polloi, who stock a good number of Clark's models, and they said they ordered it but that the model was canceled by Clark's. So who knows. Shame if it won't get released in the US, though.

That is a shame... I had been thinking of getting either the brown leather or dark brown suede, if they ever come out....

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably been asked a million times but:

What is the best way to waterproof the Beeswax DBs for wearing in the rain? I would prefer to preserve their color as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads