Clarks Desert Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jared, Jan 8, 2007.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Any tips on getting the soles to dirty up on the sides quicker?

...wear them?

2. themselves

themselves Well-Known Member

For the Autumn~Winter season which material do you think best for the DBs:

Suede or the beeswax?

they're cheap, why not get both?

3. ~whip~

~whip~ Active Member

they're cheap, why not get both?

Good point. But for practicality reasons (travel) I may be only able to get one. So, which one: Suede or beeswax?

Or are they both decent materials for Autumn ~ Winter? I imagine Suede to be ok for Autumn, I'm just not sure about Winter...[​IMG]

4. hobojones

hobojones Senior member

Well I mean it depends. Are you in an area where it snows? Because if you were, the snow will obviously not be a good match with the suede. If you aren't, then I'd say go with the suede.

5. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Good point. But for practicality reasons (travel) I may be only able to get one. So, which one: Suede or beeswax?

Or are they both decent materials for Autumn ~ Winter? I imagine Suede to be ok for Autumn, I'm just not sure about Winter...[​IMG]

I would avoid wearing desert boots in winter unless you live in a warm to mild climate.

The leather/suede is rather thin. There are only two eyelets which makes it easy for snow or water to get in at the ankles. And crepe soles do not work well on ice or snow.

6. elizabethtusaad

elizabethtusaad New Member

The Clarks Desert Boot had a simple modern style with plantation rubber crepe soles and just two eyelets for laces. Desert boots became mainstream fashion wear in the 60s and 70s.

7. was385

was385 Senior member

http://www.shoebuy.com/clarks-desert...-_-none-_-none

15% off and free shipping today. Also, I'm thinking about getting these and I don't know sizing. I'm a 13 in Nike's and generally around a 12 in most dress shoes. What do you guys think would be the right size? Thanks for your help

8. GQ1

GQ1 Senior member

http://www.shoebuy.com/clarks-desert...-_-none-_-none

15% off and free shipping today. Also, I'm thinking about getting these and I don't know sizing. I'm a 13 in Nike's and generally around a 12 in most dress shoes. What do you guys think would be the right size? Thanks for your help

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, not all sizes and not all colors are available. I tried these on recently and they run big. I normally wear a US size 9 in all shoes and a size 8 in these fit me nicely so a size down is recommended however you should try one out in person.

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Well I mean it depends. Are you in an area where it snows? Because if you were, the snow will obviously not be a good match with the suede. If you aren't, then I'd say go with the suede.
    Either way, these boots aren't really meant to be worn in the rain/snow. They are fairly thin and once I wore a pair in a drizzle and my feet were wet. The crepe sole also provide little traction on wet surface.

10. sidewinder13

sidewinder13 Senior member

Do Clarks make these desert boots in navy suede? I have been looking online and couldn't find any.

11. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Senior member

Could Desert boots survive in the fall though as far as keeping warm? I want to know before I'm buying boots I have to save until spring/summer.

12. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Could Desert boots survive in the fall though as far as keeping warm? I want to know before I'm buying boots I have to save until spring/summer.
    There's a reason why they're called desert boots, the material is pretty thin. It's fine for me in the Southern California winter where the weather rarely goes under ~55 degrees. But if you're located where you actually have a real winter, it will be a different story.

13. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

I mean, wear a pair of thick wool socks and you'll be fine. Where the hell are you that your Fall (Sept-Dec) is frigid? Are your toes that delicate?

14. Harrington

Harrington Well-Known Member

I mean, wear a pair of thick wool socks and you'll be fine. Where the hell are you that your Fall (Sept-Dec) is frigid? Are your toes that delicate?

Thick wool socks in Desert Boots? [​IMG] Why not just buy boots that actually match the weather?

15. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Thick wool socks in Desert Boots? [​IMG] Why not just buy boots that actually match the weather?

I feel like the aesthetic of DBs (esp the beeswax and darker suedes) match fall-wear pretty well. Getting them wet is an issue, true. But warmth is pretty easily addressed I think.