• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

ataru

Reaction score
Just spray it every once in a while and don't wear them when you think it might rain.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
How long since they made DBs in "Loden Green"? I am guessing that's an army green & the offering has something to do with the Vietnam war?

thus be the nicest amongst...

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gt33
what is a better alternative?
All the better shoe makers do chukka boots in suede. You can even find crepe soles if you look around enough. The beeswax DB is a poor man's waxy boot. Since you can get a good waxy boot for $160, paying $90 for the Clark's shows a little ignorance. At $90 retail, Clarks' DB is not a good value. For 2 to 3 times that, you can get a much better quality boot that should last 10 times longer. Chorse was just taking orders for C&J suede chukkas for $225. In the Thin Red Line sale, AS suede chukkas were $114. Suede shoes often go on sale because there is not a lot of demand for them as professional workwear. Note you can also pay a lot more for a crepe-soled suede chukka that is not any better made than the Clark's. Price alone does always say much. For example, I did not see anything about the J.Crew desert boot that justified the higher price tag. As always, if you have money to burn, go for it. It could be just the thing for you. I buy Clarks in the $40-$60 range when I am in the mood for a new beater shoe. The sand suede is great for life at the beach, where the light construction is a plus. On the great pyramid of quality footwear, Clarks are down there with Chuck Taylors. Classic style, interesting history, but they are nothing to get hot and bothered about. As jet said, there is a buster brown quality to them compared to all the other suede chukkas out there. I like that but YMMV.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ataru
Just spray it every once in a while and don't wear them when you think it might rain.

That's really weak. They're inexpensvie and it's not like they will melt.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
They have wide appeal, yes. Which category does Jet fall into? Surely not 60s icon?!

None I guess.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gt33
what is a better alternative?

It's all relative, isn't it? Depends on how much you want to spend and what you feel satified with. I don't really care whether there are better alternatives at higher prices--the Clarks DB fits my budget, my expectations, and my lifestyle. In my estimation, it's a great low-priced boot with a lot of versatility. Mine are holding up fine, too, and I wear them daily.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'd rather have three pair of Clarks in different colors than one pair of higher end boots in that style.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Same here. Matter of fact, I have four pairs in different colors. And the thing is I don't feel like they're so precious that I can't kick around in them even in the rain or snow.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
I guess I'd rather have three pair of Clarks in different colors than one pair of higher end boots in that style.

I'd choose four pairs of higher end boots. You buy nice things all your life and the good stuff accumulates.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd choose four pairs of higher end boots. You buy nice things all your life and the good stuff accumulates.

If I had a money tree in my back yard or different priorities in life or a bank account with so many zeros I couldn't keep track of them all, I would pay you very good money to pick out 365 pair of high end chukkas for me so I could wear a different pair everyday for one year, and then burn them all in a giant bonfire and start all over again.

ataru

Reaction score
If you've also got non-suede shoes its strange to me that you'd actually want to select suede ones on a rainy day. I wouldn't want to test the rain protector to the limits by getting my shoes completely soaked, but that's me (although that would generally also require getting caught without an umbrella, but if you live somewhere like hawaii a sudden downpour is not a rare occurence) Trust me, I don't baby my desert boots, as I'm more in the 'beat up desert boots look best' camp.

On the subject of the appeal of the clarks desert boot, IMO it is precisely that rough quality that makes them great. A nicer suede chukka like what phat guido wears works well in smarter fits and for older men, but give me some beat up clarks any day if you're pairing the shoes with jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes shoes can look too nice or too elegant.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've also got non-suede shoes its strange to me that you'd actually want to select suede ones on a rainy day. I wouldn't want to test the rain protector to the limits by getting my shoes completely soaked, but that's me (although that would generally also require getting caught without an umbrella, but if you live somewhere like hawaii a sudden downpour is not a rare occurence) Trust me, I don't baby my desert boots, as I'm more in the 'beat up desert boots look best' camp.

On the subject of the appeal of the clarks desert boot, IMO it is precisely that rough quality that makes them great. A nicer suede chukka like what phat guido wears works well in smarter fits and for older men, but give me some beat up clarks any day if you're pairing the shoes with jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes shoes can look too nice or too elegant.

Someone please give this sensible, intelligent man a cold beer and send him out into the rain in his desert boots!

ataru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Someone please give this sensible, intelligent man a cold beer and send him out into the rain in his desert boots!

Hey, I've done it before
smile.gif
My brown pair has some nasty splotches from where it got soaked through in a Hawaii downpour. For some reason the sand suede looks better when it's poorly treated than the brown, though...

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It's not worth it to me. Plus I don't have that kind of money to play with. To me, Clarks is nice stuff.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey, I've done it before
smile.gif
My brown pair has some nasty splotches from where it got soaked through in a Hawaii downpour. For some reason the sand suede looks better when it's poorly treated than the brown, though...

Actually, I tramped for about 3 blocks to my car in huge downpour in my chocolate brown suedes. I had sprayed them well with suede protector. Yes, they soaked through, but after drying at home, they're still perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads