Clarks Desert Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jared, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

Every clarks store I've been to has never carried the classic desert boot. it's quite odd.

2. Robert

Robert Senior member

I've noticed DBs showing up more in shoe stores, especially the more selective or boutique kind, than Clarks stores, for some reason.

3. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

^how much are the DBs going for now? and how long is the sale for

i ordered from onlineshoes.com who had a 20% off promo, ended up $72 and free shipping

not sure if the promo is still on or not though

4. borderline

borderline Senior member

Just picked up my 2nd pair of Clark's DB (hey, I live in the desert) and I'm amazed at how different they are. My first pair were the dark brown suede. The suede is fairly short, i.e. smoother, and the inner part of the shoe is totally smooth or polished. The leather is very thin.

My new pair is the sand suede. The leather is thicker, the inside is rough, similar to the outside, and overall it seems like a more substantial shoe. I think it fits a bit snugger too.

Is this a difference between the ones made last year and the ones this year, or is there a difference in construction b/t the different models even if they are both suede?

5. djh

djh Senior member

haven't really noticed any difference.. been wearing my sand suedes and beeswax leathers for over a year now.

btw, have some sand suedes for sale in my thread, sizes 10-11

6. Robert

Robert Senior member

Just picked up my 2nd pair of Clark's DB (hey, I live in the desert) and I'm amazed at how different they are. My first pair were the dark brown suede. The suede is fairly short, i.e. smoother, and the inner part of the shoe is totally smooth or polished. The leather is very thin.

My new pair is the sand suede. The leather is thicker, the inside is rough, similar to the outside, and overall it seems like a more substantial shoe. I think it fits a bit snugger too.

Is this a difference between the ones made last year and the ones this year, or is there a difference in construction b/t the different models even if they are both suede?

For whatever reason, the sand suede isn't smooth-lined like the other suedes. I got the sand and the wolf at the same time; the sand is rough suede inside, the wolf is smooth lined.

I don't notice any difference in fit. Because of the different lining (unlined?), though, the sand feels a little floppier or softer.

7. borderline

borderline Senior member

For whatever reason, the sand suede isn't smooth-lined like the other suedes. I got the sand and the wolf at the same time; the sand is rough suede inside, the wolf is smooth lined.

I don't notice any difference in fit. Because of the different lining (unlined?), though, the sand feels a little floppier or softer.

There's a wolf? [​IMG]

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

Wolf suede? Yeah. It's a light brown essentially.

9. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

Just wanted to add, that Jeff Tweedy and the bassist in Wilco were both rocking desert boots last night.

10. Robert

Robert Senior member

Rocking them, or wearing them?

11. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

Rocking them, or wearing them?

Strumming them like guitars. Sort of like Nigel Tufnel with the violin.

12. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

After resisting for a long while, I've been smitten by the Clarks desert boot bug. Unfortunately due to my geographical location, I can't try them on in a store. Does anyone know how db sizing compares to dr. martens 1461 sizing? For reference: I'm between size 11 and 12 in docs.

13. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I got my AE desert boots today. They're actually not bad. There's a few problems I have with the quality (some of the glue on the sole was already bad...the upper layer was lifting up, but nothing new glue didn't fix) but overall I'm pretty happy with it. One thing I hate about Clarks is the crepe sole, and after I put mink oil on the boots they ended up looking pretty good.

14. factorial

factorial Senior member

Anyone have any tips on getting indigo off suede DBs? I figure I'm hosed, but thought I'd ask anyway. I suppose the only way to keep it from getting on your boots is to cuff your jeans or wait until you've washed them a couple of times...