• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clark Kent and Lex Luthor suits

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you guys think of the Clark Kent and Lex Luthor suit-shirt-tie ensembles from Superman?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah...they were ill-fitting and he wore them with button-down collars, appropriate for the character but made him look folksy. This is exactly how they dressed Christopher Reeve back in the 70's/ 80's as well.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Yeah...they were ill-fitting and he wore them with button-down collars, appropriate for the character but made him look folksy. This is exactly how they dressed Christopher Reeve back in the 70's/ 80's as well.

Setting aside the issue of fit, the one Reeve wears on this page is much more stylish than Routh's, I think. http://www.chrisreevehomepage.com/m-movie1.html

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I noted Lex wore some nice grenadine ties.
I think that's all he wore
White yellow and black?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luthor's outfits are great throughout the movie. Even in the North pole cave, he is wearing an awesome winter jacket (I think I saw a Phat Farm logo on the sleeve BTW... would it be possible that Lex Luthor shops at Phat Farm?
laugh.gif
)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't much like them. I didn't pay much attention to Clark Kent's outfits. Since I didn't notice, they were probably nothing special. Concerning Lex Luthor's outfits... What's with the boots? The winter coat could have been cool, but the shoulders looked terrible imo. I don't think Spacey fit the role, or the clothes. John Malkovich would have been a better evil genius and he doesn't look marsupialed with a bald head either.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Luthor's outfits are great throughout the movie. Even in the North pole cave, he is wearing an awesome winter jacket (I think I saw a Phat Farm logo on the sleeve BTW... would it be possible that Lex Luthor shops at Phat Farm?
laugh.gif
)

That was a pretty nice coat. Double breasted, no?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few good pics of Luthor's outfits (the highlights of this booooooring flick IMO):

A couple of awesome corduroy suits - grenadine ties of course
SD-8538R.jpg

SD-10859.jpg

Another 3-piece suit, another grenadine tie
cod.jpg

Cool micro-check pattern on this suit
superman_returns_03.jpg

And this is the cool winter jacket (Phat Farm?) I was refering to. Unfortunately the pic is not ideal to check out the jacket...
SR-FX-007.jpg

but I also like Kate's outfits
smile.gif

0,10114,5186571,00.jpg

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Don't see why you found the movie boring. But yes, Luther's suits were pretty cool. I'm not sure how I feel about that tab on the lapel of his corduroy suit though. Sure, it's functional, but I prefer just a normal lapel hole with a button on the underside of the other lapel if you're going to do that. Now, for the last time, Clark's clothes aren't supposed to fit right. If you were an amazingly strong superhero, would you want people to see that you're just as ripped as your alter-ego? Didn't think so.
smile.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Don't see why you found the movie boring.

I'm not going to discuss at length why I feel I wasted 2 hours and 34 minutes of a perfectly nice Sunday night. IMDB reviews and especially this one do a very good job at that. I especially identify with this part:

I walked back into the first theater, found my seat, and looked up to see that the impending Lois Lane space shuttle disaster was almost upon us. Still, it seemed to be taking forever, so I wandered around the theater, met a girl, got married, raised a son and sent him off to college. While attending my son's medical school graduation, I remembered that I should probably check in on Superman Returns, so I excused myself and raced back to the theater only to learn there was no need to hurry. It still took about another half hour before things went wrong for Space Shuttle Lane. When they did, Superman saved everybody, which was pretty cool.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm not going to discuss at length why I feel I wasted 2 hours and 34 minutes of a perfectly nice Sunday night. IMDB reviews and especially this one do a very good job at that. I especially identify with this part:

Funny. I too found it tedious, and largely incoherent.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I like how finding the wittiest way to make fun of a movie passes as being a critic these days.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I like how finding the wittiest way to make fun of a movie passes as being a critic these days.

true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads