• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CJ Peals vs. CJ Benchgrade

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I have embarked on a plan of upgrading my shoes. Right now all my shoes are AE, which from a comfort perspective I like very much. However, I would like to try some british shoes. So my quaestion is:When it comes down to it. Is there a difference between the CJ's made for Brooks and the CJ'S Benchgrade. I assume they aren't the Handgrade.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Correct, the Brooks C & J shoes aren't the handgrade level which I believe is C & J's top of the line.

I cannot tell which level the Brooks shoes would fall into.

I have never worn AE shoes, but based on looks, I believe that the Brooks Peal is step-up (pardon the pun). I wear them.20

BTW, Brooks's Peal line of shoes is made by both C & J and Alfred Sargent. The Sargent shoes has the Brooks names stamped in gold on the sole.

Good luck.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Brooks C&J shoes are comparable to the C&J benchgrades. I think the AE shoes are comparably well made as the Brooks C&J. Your choice depends on which style you prefer. Generally, the C&J shoes are more elegant that the AEs. But you can get the AEs for a lot less money ($378 vs. $285 at full retail).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Brooks C&Js have channeled soles, which the normal C&J benchgrades do not appear to have. I believe that's the major difference. The Peal shoes are a much better deal than the same things at Polo for $500-%600. However, there aren't many C&J-made Peals left. Alfred Sargent does them mostly. The nail pattern and the color of the Peal & Co. stamp are the giveaways.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thanks for the information. I bought two pairs of the Peals with the single nails, not the double, going around them during the recent sale for $241 each (I also had some gift certificates so it was even less cash out of pocket). One is a perforated cap toe with the regular leather sole and one has the dainite rubber. I noticed that in 346 Madison they divide the shoes into different groups. 1) The Cordovans 2) The Aldens dress shoes 3) Peals with 2 double nails 4) Peals with Single nails 5) Boots 6) Dress Casual 7) I don't remeber. I asked the salesperson and was told they are by manufacturer. So I am assuming mine are the CJ's.

Anyhow it sounds like its worth keeping the Peals, I like the shoes, as opposed to trying to get CJ Handgrade. And then put the extra money towards my saving up for a pair of EG's.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CJs are the ones with a double row of tacking on the bottom. They make two models, I believe -- the algonquin and one of the cap toes.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
The CJs are the ones with a double row of tacking on the bottom. They make two models, I believe -- the algonquin and one of the cap toes.

Are you sure? I bought the Algonquins and they had only a single row. Additionally, Both lines had multiple models. Now I'm confused.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Algonquins did you buy? The smooth brown calf model should have the double row -- they do in my local store. But I've heard CJ is being phased out, so maybe it was last year's model still on the shelf.

Anyways, I think most would agree here that the AS models are probably every bit as good as the CJ ones.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$189 for Stuart's Choice?. Fantastic deal... The Stuart's Choice are at least a notch above the BB shoes -- though I believe that Alden shoes are probably equal in quality to the Stuart shoes.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Yeah. I thought they would be a great buy. They had a nice selection on sale. The only thing was that sale items are not refundable at Paul Staurt so I didn't want to take a chance on too much. I had another pair that I liked that was $289 but I decided to get a similar shoe from Brooks that was $241 since it had a Dainite rubber sole which is helpful in the bad weather.

Maybe the Dainite rubber sole is another give away. The CJ's I saw in Barneys had the same sole. Does AS make a shoe with those soles?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most likely they do. Most English makers produce some kind of shoe with a Dainite sole -- Dainite is pretty ubiquitous generally, and is a terriffic and hard-wearing sole.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry for this nice pair of shoes..........
pict00316lg.jpg
pict00309lg.jpg
pict00320kj.jpg
pict00333lt.jpg
pict00297oe.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads