• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

City of Paris blocks opening of Champs-Elysees H&M.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I think it's great! And it's a European company they've rejected too. The Champs-Elysees is pretty far-gone already, IMO. It's like a prettier Times Square. It might be too little too late.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
I think it's great! And it's a European company they've rejected too. The Champs-Elysees is pretty far-gone already, IMO. It's like a prettier Times Square. It might be too little too late.
I concur on all points.

The Grapist

Reaction score
I've always likened the Champs-Elysees to 5th Avenue. Many of the stores are the same, and they both end at an arch. Although 5th Avenue now has two H&M's :-/

gj555

Reaction score
So much for free enterprise.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Why they haven't done this with Abercrombie & Fitch on Savile Row is beyond me.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Why they haven't done this with Abercrombie & Fitch on Savile Row is beyond me.

Because the Brits are free marketeers! The French, only partially so...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah, but this is a matter of dignity, and letting some douchey brand that goes against all that Savile Row stands for move in is not dignified to say the least.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't the City also ban LV's flagship shop from opening on Sundays? LV argued, I believe, that the building was a historic site or something and thus entitled to open seven days. To be applauded.

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Yeah, but this is a matter of dignity, and letting some douchey brand that goes against all that Savile Row stands for move in is not dignified to say the least.
smile.gif
Maybe Cyndi Lauper was right..."money changes everything." (had the pleasure of meeting her...very sweet woman) I know exactly what you mean. Somebody mentioned to me that Starbucks has yet to open in Italy. I haven't been there in years, but recent relatives have claimed never to have heard of it when visiting (and hate it when they taste it). It would just be too sad if that sub-par second rate excuse for a coffee house opened up there, not to mention how my father would spin in his grave. Sooner or later, these giant companies are probably going to be able to buy there way onto whatever avenue they like, no matter how undignified it may seem to some...and the living will envy the dead.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeSica
smile.gif

Maybe Cyndi Lauper was right..."money changes everything." (had the pleasure of meeting her...very sweet woman)

I know exactly what you mean. Somebody mentioned to me that Starbucks has yet to open in Italy. I haven't been there in years, but recent relatives have claimed never to have heard of it when visiting (and hate it when they taste it). It would just be too sad if that sub-par second rate excuse for a coffee house opened up there, not to mention how my father would spin in his grave.

Sooner or later, these giant companies are probably going to be able to buy there way onto whatever avenue they like, no matter how undignified it may seem to some...and we will envy the dead.

Yes, it will be a sad day when that behemoth of blandness and uniformity opens up in Rome or Milan or Venice (if they haven't already). I use the 'will' form here as I see it as only a matter of time; the youth seeking a half-way house between the traditional cafes where the boring old people go and somewhere hipper and more atuned to their sensibilities and consumerist breeding. In this respect I believe a little protectionism at what ever level it takes is necessary. Try finding Hellmans mayonaise in any supermarket here. It's mostly Kraft. Not that I'm bothered by this one way or the other.
I was quite depressed when I saw a Starbucks branch yards from the Pompideau in Paris. Bastards.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
There was some discussion about how Starbucks would be received when it opened in Vienna, where coffeehouses play an importnat role in everyday life and the culture. Now, a few years later, there are no fewer than 11 outposts, so somebody has to be patronizing the chain...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
There was some discussion about how Starbucks would be received when it opened in Vienna, where coffeehouses play an importnat role in everyday life and the culture. Now, a few years later, there are no fewer than 11 outposts, so somebody has to be patronizing the chain...

Actually the Starbucks are very well intergrated into Vienna I think. They serve some local drinks and are very well located within the city. They certainly hasn't stopped people from frequenting the traditional cafes, either, which are wonderful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads