• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

City of London Ties

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy City of London ties? I've done SF and Google searches and have really only seen them for sale on eBay. I haven't found a website or any stores that sell them.

I love the thickness of the silk and they tie a great knot. I know some people are going to say they're junk, but they're 100% silk and Made in England - so bash away and buy a $125 tie.

Thanks in advance!

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I have a couple I will sell you if you're interested. PM me your email and I can shoot you some photos tonight.

samus

Reaction score
I have a couple, and I bought them at Macy's, if I remember correctly. You're right - relatively inexpesive, but they always garner compliments. My favorite one got stained though and I've run in to the same problem you have while trying to find a replacement
frown.gif

cncrd

Reaction score
I don't know if this is true of all regions, but the Marshalls and more particularly the TJ Maxx stores in my area have been pretty stocked with these this Spring. There was a whole rack of them recently at the TJ Maxx near my office- literally dozens of them. I think the price was around $25.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd
I don't know if this is true of all regions, but the Marshalls and more particularly the TJ Maxx stores in my area have been pretty stocked with these this Spring. There was a whole rack of them recently at the TJ Maxx near my office- literally dozens of them. I think the price was around $25.

I don't live anywhere near you, and have ONLY seen those ties at TJ MAXX.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd

Oh, nice! I'l have to take a look at my local TJM and see if they have any. They can be had on ebay for about $25 new and between $5-$15 used

Thanks for the response!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got quite a few, I think (not with my full tie collection), all found in charity shops in London. They're excellent in my opinion. Especially for £2 each.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor

Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy City of London ties? I've done SF and Google searches and have really only seen them for sale on eBay. I haven't found a website or any stores that sell them.

I love the thickness of the silk and they tie a great knot. I know some people are going to say they're junk, but they're 100% silk and Made in England - so bash away and buy a $125 tie.

Thanks in advance!

Really? They're made in England????

I've seen them at The Bay (Canadian mid-price department store) and the City Of London ties were all made either in the U.S. or in China and their shirts were all made in Bangladesh. The quality wasn't impressive.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
The four ties I own from City of London all say 100% Silk and Made in England

cncrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Really? They're made in England????

I've seen them at The Bay (Canadian mid-price department store) and the City Of London ties were all made either in the U.S. or in China and their shirts were all made in Bangladesh. The quality wasn't impressive.

This is my experience as well- I believe most of those I've seen are made in China, but I may be wrong on that. I'm surprised to know that any are made in England.

The name "City of London" was registered for a long time, at least in the US, to Ferrell Reed, back when that company made pretty high-quality ties and other clothing items- very much along the lines of Robert Talbott. All the ones I owned or rememember seeing were made in the US or Italy (mostly US). Again IIRC, the company was sold off somehow maybe six or seven years ago, because the quality went way down for the price point, and the retailers in my area who had carried Ferrell Reed dropped it. About six months after this, "City of London" started showing up as its own brand, with most eveything that I saw at the time made in China.

I'll check out the ones at Maxx here and see if that's still the case.

Robert Hall

Reaction score
Saw some made in China ones last week at Syms on Park Avenue.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota
I seem to remember having seen something called that at the Sam Hober page, but I am not sure... http://www.samhober.com/
Tricota, Thank you for thinking of us - but we do not sell ready-made ties only bespoke /custom made ties. We also only sell our own ties that we make ourselves. We have our silk woven in a number of countries and England is one of them perhaps that is what you are thinking of? WRadvisor, English silk is often thick as is their typical interlinings so together with classic patterns English made ties can be very nice. If as several posters suggest the City of London ties are currently made in China then you will not find the same English silk that you love as Chinese necktie silk is not currently of the same quality. True they could put in thick interlinings but it will not have the same drape. Your best bet will be Ebay.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Tricota,

Thank you for thinking of us - but we do not sell ready-made ties only bespoke /custom made ties.

We also only sell our own ties that we make ourselves.

We have our silk woven in a number of countries and England is one of them perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

Yes, I think perhaps it was. Though I am sure I have seen a website, with the same setup as yours, selling all kinds of club ties and also something called a city of London tie. I dont know if that is what the OP is looking for...

Anyways, the site looks awesome and the ties great, but after having a closer look, I dont think it was your site I was thinking about...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads