Citizens On Patrol Thread...forum rules you would like to see

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matt, Dec 20, 2010.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Don't mess with the CESS, the people that hate it either a) are not smart enough to hang or b) really love it and just like to bitch. (See: Manton).

I had forgotten that these were the two reasons, so your reminder is timely.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

hell, even I weighed in politely. I haven't given MC advice in years. It was...refreshing.

Yeah, I've been weighing in myself here and there. Also answered one of those quick questions about an obscure article.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I will continue my SF habit and not poast anything useful other than saying...for some reason, I am legitimately afraid that SF might be gone for good...

How hard is it to start one's own forum?

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

well with your track record for success ed, I'm sure no matter how challenging it is, you will triumph.

5. edinatlanta

well with your track record for success ed, I'm sure no matter how challenging it is, you will triumph.

aaaaaaaaaaaand someone won't be getting an invite.

6. edinatlanta

N.B.: Matt--you're living in a [email protected] world. My failures have ceased to be. They are no more.

One would have hoped that now being a Matt, you would have adopted to our new realities and paradigms. C.f. the 2010 Secret Santa threak &c..

Alas you have not.

7. Matt

Matt [email protected]

you are my Lance Armstrong.

8. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Close.. you were right in the mix. [​IMG]
    Never having seen that thread when it first appeared, I'm not surprised it was Vox who "initiated" you. True, he contributed much to the forum and was never anything less than kind and polite to me. But this kind of behavior--snarky in-jokes, belittling the initial contributions from new members--was all too common from him. While I wish him well, I can't really say I'm sorry to see him go. Kudos to you for sticking around. Someone with thinner skin might have been disposed to leave, and we would have been deprived of a valued member.

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

^^^ Do you put no stock at all in the "talked out" thesis?
    Sorry I'm a little late in coming to this discussion. While I see some merit to the thesis, I still come back to StyleForum for the Men's Clothing sub forum. Part of it is the fact, dammit, that I enjoy clothing. But it's also a product of the fact that, after this much time, I still have much to learn and enjoy gaining the perspective of those with more experience. A good example would be my What Now, Part II thread. I got a number of great recommendations for a next commission from Chan, among them a gray flannel, which was an obvious hole in my wardrobe. But I hadn't even considered it, until I got that recommendation. A simple thing, really, but a recommendation that really paid dividends. And Matt, thanks for getting this conversation rolling. Even if nothing overt happens from a moderation standpoint, I still think its valuable to have the discussion, if only to remind people to regard one another with a bit less acrimony.

10. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

oh, allow me to flex my muscles there [​IMG]

all evidence of a battle of mock politeness has been removed, and all the n00b sees is two super nice and helpful forumites.

It's lovely don't you think? If I was going to paint my room, I'd do it that color.

The only thing missing are a bunch of swiss underwear posters off to the side.

Funny thing is, the two main helpful guys there probably wouldn't wear a $30 shirt even to paint their room, so I'd take their advice with a grain of salt [​IMG]
    I give this whole gentler and kinder MC three more days, these things never last... fortunately.
    On a serious note, not everybody reads these threads for their information content. The OP does, and so do some lurkers probably, but the 'regular' members read them for entertainment. Let's not forget
    those by trying to appeal to new members too much. Leave some of the snark, drop the meanness -> done.

11. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Close.. you were right in the mix. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG] I forgot about that.

You two are a charming couple.

Do you still have the animated version? It's more evocative of the champers.

14. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

1. Brand and clothing threads should be labelled by season and then retired after that season is done - who wants to dig through 100s of pages on ToJ or whatever just to get to current stuff?

2. Although I am not knowledgeable enough about any one particular thing, it would be nice to have pinned master FAQs on denim, etc. Should eliminate some of the noobie questions.

3. Personally I'd love to see the elimination of all of the stupid relationship threads - I don't care that you got your first boner after getting to second base and you are 19. And the advice given is often just as moronic as the question asked.

4. The racism and sexism is really getting out of hand - there is nothing stylish about it and it is definitely putting a lot of people off.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member