• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Citizen at0200-05e as an affordable watch

DLim98

Reaction score
I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the Citizen at0200-05e as an everyday watch. Its my first real watch besides an old fossil watch I have. I wanted to pick up a black leather strap and maybe some nato straps for it. Seems good for the price! I was originally looking at the JCrew Timex, but though this was a better deal for a better watch?

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-AT0200.../dp/B000EQR6H0

Also does anyone know what size straps I would need to get? It looks like the width on this is 21mm but that seems to be in between the common 22 and 20. Thanks!

DLim98

Reaction score
Is Seiko a better watch for that price range? I don't really like the aesthetics of that one in particular. Maybe I'm not cultured enough haha, this is my first real watch. I think I prefer slimmer watches especially cause I have a very small wrist.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
It's okay, but at that price point it wouldn't be my choice. Many watch collectors feature a Seiko Black Monster in their collection of exceedingly more expensive timepieces. That would be my choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SKX779-B...7176492&sr=1-1

Uhh, these aren't even remotely close. Analogous to a guy asking if he should purchase Oakley Gascan sunglasses and then having Persol 714's suggested.

OP- Citizen and Seiko are very similar watches. I would say that you shouldn't invest too much time into worrying about which is the higher quality. Both are absolutely fine and by the time quality would be an issue, you will likely have moved on.

Also, that monster on a thin wrist will look out of place.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not really a great comparison, as they are two different animals. The Seiko Black Monster is an automatic watch, and the Citizen you are looking at is quartz. For the price point, the Seiko is a great automatic. For quartz watches (which are not as coveted for most collectors, if I may make a sweeping generalization), the Citizen is probably just fine. If you could swing a bit more for a Citizen, the Nighthawk line is quite lovely - this watch in particular: http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BJ7000...7183101&sr=1-4

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Uhh, these aren't even remotely close. Analogous to a guy asking if he should purchase Oakley Gascan sunglasses and then having Persol 714's suggested.

Very true, and after the OP clarified his position a bit more, I made another recommendation. That said, they ARE close in price point.

I got the impression from the OP that he was looking for more general advice about inexpensive watches.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
OP, I have this watch and I like it. It works with a lot of outfits and it's nice and small. The strap is really little, I have 6 1/2 inch wrists and I have it on the middle setting. Mine stopped working after about 6 months and I had a local place fix it, the hands get tangled up. If you use the chronograph feature make sure you're careful with it while it's running. It's even in the manual for all their chrono watches that if you're running it not to bang it against a wall or anything.

godan

Reaction score
I have the exact watch the OP first specified. Like all quartz watches, it is accurate, and the Citizen instructions are typically understandable. The sub-dials are too small to read at a glance. Also, a relatively light bump broke the mineral glass "crystal." The replacement was nearly the cost of the original watch. Eco-Drive is a fascinating technology, and I wish Citizen would put it into higher quality watches of more restrained design.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe

OP- Citizen and Seiko are very similar watches. I would say that you shouldn't invest too much time into worrying about which is the higher quality. Both are absolutely fine and by the time quality would be an issue, you will likely have moved on.

Also, that monster on a thin wrist will look out of place.

Agree that the 2 watches are not comparable. However, the Seiko monster does have have relatively curved lugs which allow it to look fine on skinny wrists.

southbound35

Reaction score
I think that's a good-looking watch. I like the look of it better than the JCrew/Timex. I don't think I'd try to dress it up with a black leather strap, though. I'd stick with NATO straps.

DenimDan

Reaction score
I thought about getting the AT0200 but settled on the BM8180. Here is mine with a NATO:

IMG_20110208_065504.jpg

I would also like to second the Nighthawk as a sporty alternative. However, the Nighthawk is a beefy watch in both weight and case diameter (almost 43mm). I would recommend trying one on to see how if feels on and fits your wrist.

DLim98

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for all your help so far! I really appreciate it all. The Nighthawk does look nice, but still a little on the bigger side for me. The BM8180 does look really nice! What width strap you bought for that watch? Also anyone know about the Sieko 5 military watch and how that compares?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads