• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cities where you don't need a car...

Mblova

Reaction score
NYC and Philly.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In theory you do not need a car in Moscow due to the Metro - still I would hate to use it on a daily basis...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I don't even have a valid driver's license.
Bravo! Seriously.

nilshg

Reaction score
Berlin most definitely, great public transport system that gets you around cheaply and efficiently, plus owning a car is annoying in many areas when it comes to parking (or left-wing activists torching it).
Also, most South-East Asian cities I've been to, driving is just a hassle there and taxis are usually so cheap and ubiquitous that cars aren't necessary. Even more so in cities like Bangkok where a half-decent public transport system exists.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
You could get by without a car in some areas of Dallas, Houston, Austin, or to a lesser extent here in Fort Worth. But part of the fun of living in Texas is owning a big 4x4 SUV (I have two myself) and driving around like you own the place.
smile.gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P-K-L
In theory you do not need a car in Moscow due to the Metro - still I would hate to use it on a daily basis...

If you use Metro during off hours like I do it is not a problem. Rush hour is a no no.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
If you use Metro during off hours like I do it is not a problem. Rush hour is a no no.

Driving the car off rush hours also is no problem
wink.gif

js0930

Reaction score
Bangkok. Taxes make cars expensive, police "fines" make cars expensive, and once you live here you quickly discover that the sky train, subway and buses can take you anywhere, with motorcycle taxis for the braver among us and taxis for the drunk to get home in. Though I am considering a motorcycle for myself, even though it will probably lead to some serious damage to my body.

juliette2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by project2501
Regarding someone's comment about Portland having good public transportation. It is pretty amazing. The light rail, streetcar and bus are all free within the downtown area. In addition, it's also very easy to just walk places as the city blocks are pedestrian friendly. There is an alarming absence of cars driving around downtown even during rush hour. It's a great food city also.

"Alarming absence"?

There are cars aplenty in downtown Portland - heck, the whole metro area - during rush hour. More of an "alarming presence" and certainly no absence. Unfortunately, there's a lot of traffic at pretty much any time, not just rush hour.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was worth visiting, there'd be a train, plane or bus to take me there. I see cities that don't have adequate PT as cities that just don't want younger people around. And all those places are decaying anyways so good riddance.

cncrd

Reaction score
I really envy you guys in cities/regions in the US where public transportation is not only provided, but embraced by the inhabitants. Most of the South has been a nightmare for urban planners for decades because of the attitude toward public trans of any kind.

No matter how cool they make light rail or any other form of public transportation sound, the popular opinion in most places (outside of very small areas of dense/cool/hip/chic/artsy/whatever highly-focused urban development) seems to be that the only reasons not to drive are because you're too poor, lazy, poor, stupid, or poor to own a car. Also because you're poor. Trains are for poor people in slightly larger cities.

I hope the attitude changes. It was pretty depressing when I worked on task groups for a couple of planning commissions and we kept getting the above responses to potential user surveys. It's hard for a lot of people to shake that attitude. Fun thing about going to DC or Chicago for me is not having to hop from place to place in car all day long.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd
I really envy you guys in cities/regions in the US where public transportation is not only provided, but embraced by the inhabitants. Most of the South has been a nightmare for urban planners for decades because of the attitude toward public trans of any kind.

No matter how cool they make light rail or any other form of public transportation sound, the popular opinion in most places (outside of very small areas of dense/cool/hip/chic/artsy/whatever highly-focused urban development) seems to be that the only reasons not to drive are because you're too poor, lazy, poor, stupid, or poor to own a car. Also because you're poor. Trains are for poor people in slightly larger cities.

I hope the attitude changes. It was pretty depressing when I worked on task groups for a couple of planning commissions and we kept getting the above responses to potential user surveys. It's hard for a lot of people to shake that attitude. Fun thing about going to DC or Chicago for me is not having to hop from place to place in car all day long.

I think it's more a question of density and practicality than anything. If we see sustained high energy prices over the next decade, things will start moving in this area (because people will start moving back toward the city centers). But for now, most cities in the South are spread out enough that it really doesn't make economic sense for people to use mass transit.

I'd love to see light rail in Fort Worth just because I want the cool urban feel of it. But let's face it; there is no real benefit today in terms of efficiency because the population is so spread out. Without exception, it would take me longer to get ANYWHERE by using mass transit. The tipping point is when the density is high enough that people can get around just as easily via train as via car, and most cities in the South aren't there yet.

ocelot_ark

Reaction score
One of the reasons I'm planning on moving from rural east texas to manhattan is because I am sick of having to drive everywhere. I spend upwards of $8000 each year right now on car payments/insurance. I should be able to save something like $5000 a year as long as I don't go crazy on taxis. That should help with the extra $15000 I'm estimating in housing costs.

gastarbeider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
One of the reasons I'm planning on moving from rural east texas to manhattan is because I am sick of having to drive everywhere. I spend upwards of $8000 each year right now on car payments/insurance. I should be able to save something like $5000 a year as long as I don't go crazy on taxis. That should help with the extra $15000 I'm estimating in housing costs.

i can think of many, many, many more reasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads