1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Circumcision

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Tck13, Mar 19, 2007.

1. SField

SField Senior member

I don't see the big deal at all. There's a lot of evidence either way, but most medical professionals now believe it is not necessary. Still, I don't think it's necessary for uncircumcized people to admonish those who are and call them barbaric. I'm not circumcised and happy about it but I don't find why people have to be so pugnacious when it comes to that topic. I mean, it's very hard to be objective on a topic that you really had no decision making over. If you grew up having a circumcized penis, of course you'll probably be more for that. That's what you're used to and having foreskin is weird. If not, then you probably like the fact that you don't chafe or whatever. Personally with girls it hasn't been a problem. Once you get a boner it's basically the exact same anyways and I don't think girls concern themselves too much with how your dick looks flaccid. You basically use that to piss with and nothing else so why would they care. I think women might say they prefer one or the other, but if they like you enough to get naked and it happens to be the opposite of what they'd hypothetically prefer, I seriously, highly doubt there's been many cases of a woman backing down from giving the blowjob/handjob or whatever she was about to do until she saw the dick.

It's blown out of proportion. I was in Israel where obviously almost everyone is circumcized and I ended up hooking with two jewish girls (on separate occassions, unfortunately) and neither of them cared during or after. It was more curiosity than anything.

In my observations, when I was younger and playing football, guys in locker rooms no matter how macho will parade around and will talk about that kind of stuff. When I went to a private school, most kids with east coast liberal elite parents were not cut whereas the more kind of "nouveau riche" were. I don't know if that's at all consistent with any kind of research, but generally, at least among doctors who I have heard discuss this issue (I have several in the family, one is a pediatrician), it is now generally among the lower classes who want their kids circumcized. More educated people see it as unecessary. Still, if you want to circumcize your kid, who the fuck cares. It's just his penis, it will work absolutely fine. I really think that people need to stop being so at each other's throats about this.

2. Kohan

Kohan Senior member

^ Bespoke circumcision? So would that be a drape, as opposed to a clean, cut?

[​IMG]

SField, re: "it is now generally among the lower classes who want their kids circumcized. More educated people see it as unecessary" I have to call you out. That's about as bass-akward as you can get on the issue--it's (frequently) the more-educated parents who are familiar with the health literature that especially want it done. And how does class even factor into the issue of penile health and care? Last I checked, equipment tends to work pretty much the same if you practice medicine as if you fix cars all day.

3. SField

SField Senior member

[​IMG]

SField, re: "it is now generally among the lower classes who want their kids circumcized. More educated people see it as unecessary" I have to call you out. That's about as bass-akward as you can get on the issue--it's (frequently) the more-educated parents who are familiar with the health literature that especially want it done. And how does class even factor into the issue of penile health and care? Last I checked, equipment tends to work pretty much the same if you practice medicine as if you fix cars all day.

That is not at all consistent with the findings at John's Hopkins, and extremely far off from the norms in Europe. Circumcision among non muslims and non jews in North America is now most typical among more religious, lower income, less educated families. It's in fact the "liberal elite" that is very much against it, whereas the Palin types are the ones for. Again, I don't much care either way. I think it's silly to look down on someone else's penis or to even think much about it at all. But, if you look at the prevailing thought at places of higher learning, medical students nowadays are not given evidence that encourages the practice, and in general, you'll see a lot of opposition to it at most university campuses where all varieties of issues are discussed and championed by idiolistic youngsters.

4. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

I don't know if that's at all consistent with any kind of research,

That is not at all consistent with the findings at John's Hopkins

Well, which is it? Link?

I think the first problem here may be that your demographic totem poll has state Governors with multi-hundred thousand dollar annual household incomes and the Jewish doctors who write papers about their genitalia at the bottom, pressed under masses of Upper Class low-income blacks, South Americans, post-WWII non-Muslim immigrants and other folks who sit above them arrogantly dangling their intact penises.

5. SField

SField Senior member

Well, which is it? Link?

I think the first problem here may be that your demographic totem poll has state Governors with multi-hundred thousand dollar annual household incomes and the Jewish doctors who write papers about their genitalia at the bottom, pressed under masses of Upper Class low-income blacks, South Americans, post-WWII non-Muslim immigrants and other folks who sit above them arrogantly dangling their intact penises.

Like I said, I don't know of any large scale research that has been done, but if you talk to any doctor, they will tell you the exact same. I know that at JHU an acquaintance of a friend who was a urology post grad did some kind of thesis on this.

6. Armfelt

Armfelt Member

My parents loved me enough not to have my cock mutilated as a baby.

7. SField

SField Senior member

And I'm sure that parents who do have their kid circumcized do so out of as much love and desire for their health and safety as parents who bring up children in a religious household. Let's not be dogmatic.

8. West24

West24 Senior member

yeah but they made you and you came out ugly as hell. either way they fucked up.

9. SField

SField Senior member

I have seen 3 or 4 of these, inlcuding my sons. although it doesn't look like fun, it really doesn't look that painful.

we did discuss not havign my son circumsised, for a very brief discussion. my wife's main point was that his pecker should look llike mine, for his sake. I felt it would make his life easier, later on.

Umm, exactly why would your son care if your penis looks differnet than his. Is he going to freak out as well because you have pubic hair and descended testicles? What about the fact that it's probably much bigger? I mean, those are all things that are going to look different.

The "looking like dad" deal of circumcision is possibly the dumbest, most inane argument for it. There's a very short period of their life span that they'll see you naked. You aren't going to bathe your children for long. It makes no sense at all and I'd love for someone to explain it to me.

10. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

That is not at all consistent with the findings at John's Hopkins[...]
    There's no apostrophe in Johns Hopkins.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Oh yeah? And how did you get to be such an expert? [​IMG]

12. hopkins_student

Oh yeah? And how did you get to be such an expert? [​IMG]
    I won't get into the gory details, but I will tell you that it cost me a shitpot full of money.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I won't get into the gory details, but I will tell you that it cost me a shitpot full of money.
    Hmm... hope it was worth it. All that education and now you are posting in a thread about penises... CORRECTING PEOPLE'S SPELLING. [​IMG]

14. hopkins_student

Hmm... hope it was worth it. All that education and now you are posting in a thread about penises... CORRECTING PEOPLE'S SPELLING.

[​IMG]

No shit. I'm counting the days until July 1.

15. SField

SField Senior member

really? my mom taught at JHU med for 15 years and I didn't know that.

16. Fizzmix

Fizzmix Member

My bias: I'm uncircumcised.

It's functionally identical for coitus, as the skin recedes during erection. That's all that really matters, anyway. There are nerve endings in the foreskin, so it stands to reason that an uncircumsized man would have a (slightly) more sensitive penis. Of course the grand majority of the nerve endings are in the glans anyway.

I have heard women say that they prefer circumcised penises, but when I have asked them why, they almost always respond with "because it's cleaner". Of course, this is simply a misconception, because I highly doubt that a circumcised man who showers every day is at all cleaner than me, who always showers every day.

And I really have no intention of trusting a "study" done by the authors of a website titled: Circumcision: A Lifetime of Medical Benefits.

All I know for sure is that none of the women who have seen my penis have had any issue with its appearance or its feel.

17. Armfelt

Armfelt Member

yeah but they made you and you came out ugly as hell. either way they fucked up.
    Naah, I and I be fly. Unlike your penis.

18. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I did not have my boy circumcised four years ago. We couldn't find a reason to do it, and without a reason, I wouldn't want anyone cutting something off my cock.

I learned a few things about this. Some circumcisions go wrong. One of his best buddies in daycare lost too much -- the diaper-changing girls would whisper and shake their heads about this. Sad. Had I known there was a chance for error, I would have been more against it than I already was.

The other thing is this. He loves his dick. Plays with it all the time. He thinks my dick (which is cut) looks funny. It could also be the hair that's funny, for all I know. Or the enormous size. There's pretty much no way a kid is going to think his father's penis looks like his penis.

Either way, it does not occur him to think that something is wrong with his dick. I did not expect this to happen, and sure enough, it's not an issue. I tell him they all look a little different. That's good enough for him.

So my advice to fathers: don't do it. Unless your religion insists, there's no good reason.

19. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

So my advice to fathers: don't do it. Unless your religion insists, there's no good reason.

Phimosis. Another reason.

I listed it just so you could be wrong. [​IMG] Having said that, it's not common and I wouldn't circumcise unless it became a problem i.e. out of fear it would happen.

20. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Phimosis. Another reason.

I listed it just so you could be wrong. [​IMG] Having said that, it's not common and I wouldn't circumcise unless it became a problem i.e. out of fear it would happen.

Phimosis can almost always be corrected by doing stretching exercises, but yes, sometimes circumcision is necessary.