Circumcision

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Tck13, Mar 19, 2007.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

That was one of the arguments I saw for circumcision but using a condom has a higher rate of success than circumcision. In other words, you could go without circumcision and use a condom (or other forms of protection - I think there are better forms than a condom) and have a higher rate of protection.
    I agree, and I happily and faithfully married so it doesn't really matter to me. However, my opinion on these things is better safe than sorry. Sometimes condoms don't get used.

2. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

It seems incredibly unnecessary to me and, if I ever wind up with a son, I would absolutely not have him circumcised. If he decides to get circumcised later in life, that's fine with me, but I'd much rather it be his own decision than something forced on him as a baby.

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Its widespread practise in the US is clearly a function of the hawkish Israel Lobby. Flame away!

I assume this is a joke! At my prep school, where, of course, we showered communally, I think there was only one boy who was uncircumcised that I was aware of. (Of the 120-odd boys who attended the school during the three years I was there, only two were Jewish BTW.) All of us were born years before the foundation of Israel. My mother told me she had it done on the advice the physician who told her it would be easier to keep myself clean. This was in Australia in 1942. The fact that I was circumcised has never bothered me in the slightest.

I think it is somewhat less common today, there having been a reaction against the practice that started back in the hippie era. Among my contemporaries, it was pretty much universal.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I assume this is a joke! At my prep school, where, of course, we showered communally, I think there was only one boy who was uncircumcised that I was aware of. (Of the 120-odd boys who attended the school during the three years I was there, only two were Jewish BTW.) All of us were born years before the foundation of Israel. My mother told me she had it done on the advice the physician who told her it would be easier to keep myself clean. This was in Australia in 1942. The fact that I was circumcised has never bothered me in the slightest.

I think it is somewhat less common today, there having been a reaction against the practice that started back in the hippie era. Among my contemporaries, it was pretty much universal.

ditto. We called it "the anteater."

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I understand that in the Scandinavian nations circumcision is largely uncommon, even in the past.

6. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

ditto. We called it "the anteater."

In High School after football practice, we had one guy that refused to shower. He was uncircumsised and would get hammered with immature name calling like this.

7. EL72

EL72 Senior member

There are a number of good reasons to circumcize. One of the best ones nowadays is that the incidence of HIV infection is much lower in circumcised males due to the lack of the sitcky cells which are very compatible with that particular virus present in the foreskin.

My sister has done research on AIDS is sub-saharan Africa and they apparently stopped some studies short to circumcize all the subjects in a control group given the overwhelming evidence showing the reduction in HIV infection due to circumcision. They are now recommending it to everyone there.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

One of my neighbors years ago had a big bumper sticker with a large hand and the words "STOP infant circucision."

9. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I'll be the first to speak up on behlaf of the turtleneck brigade. puritans did this to their children so as to callus the glans and disincentiveize masurbation. Thankfuuly, it wasn't a default setting in norway when I was born. Its widespread practise in the US is clearly a function of the hawkish Israel Lobby. Flame away!

Please tell me this was lame attempt at humor.

10. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Please tell me this was lame attempt at humor.
    yes, yes it was.

11. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I don't understand the "lose feeling" people. I mean, how many guys go from uncut to cut after they've started having sex?

Abraham did it.

12. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I remember a few people I know getting circumsized well into their teens, they had to take medication to circumvent* erections after the procedure

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

My sister has done research on AIDS is sub-saharan Africa and they apparently stopped some studies short to circumcize all the subjects in a control group given the overwhelming evidence showing the reduction in HIV infection due to circumcision. They are now recommending it to everyone there.

I read recently that circomsision protects at a rate of 50% - the quote that I heard was that if a drug was discovered that protected against aids in 50% of the opportunities, it would make huge news, but that nobody was talking about circomsision.

14. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I read recently that circomsision protects at a rate of 50% - the quote that I heard was that if a drug was discovered that protected against aids in 50% of the opportunities, it would make huge news, but that nobody was talking about circomsision.
    It's because you can't patent a circumcision. Though maybe you could patent a non-Jew process that makes your helmet look cuter.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

But do you tip?

LOL. [​IMG]

Jon.