• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigars

TowleY

Reaction score
My friend wants to buy himself, me, and 2 of my friends cigars when were in Florida. He had picked some brand which he said was top notch, not a cuban It was some spanish name i forget.
something something fuentes maybe? Anyone know anything about cigars and can clue me in if its a good one if you know what im talking about. What do you guys reccomend, whats your favoirte.

edit: Its name was arturo fuentes maybe.

jhdas

Reaction score
There's a thread dedicated to this pinned in the social life section.

That being said, I'm a big fan of Partagas and Romeo y Julieta. I recently tried some called La Gloria Cubana that were on sale at my local tobacconist, and they're pretty damn good. I'd recommend taking a stroll through the pinned thread and going into your local cigar shop (not a Tobacco Depot if you can help it, but a classy joint) and asking for tips based on what you already know you like. One thing to always look for is a good drag. People call cigars "sticks" but you don't want to feel like you're actually sucking on a stick.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuente puts out some good ****. OpusX is pretty well thought of.

I like Padrons... had a 1921 (I think?) series over Christmas and it was great.

La Gloria Cubana... Golden Sun Reserve (or something like that) is a top notch smoke.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhdas
There's a thread dedicated to this pinned in the social life section.

That being said, I'm a big fan of Partagas and Romeo y Julieta. I recently tried some called La Gloria Cubana that were on sale at my local tobacconist, and they're pretty damn good. I'd recommend taking a stroll through the pinned thread and going into your local cigar shop (not a Tobacco Depot if you can help it, but a classy joint) and asking for tips based on what you already know you like. One thing to always look for is a good drag. People call cigars "sticks" but you don't want to feel like you're actually sucking on a stick.

Honestly, walking into a cigar shop would do me no good. I have no knowledge of anything abou cigars. I havenever smoked one before and the only reason im smoking one is because im going down to florida with 3 friends and they want to buy me one.

And yes they one they were buying was arturo fuentes opusx

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
an opus would hardly be a good choice as a cigar for someone that doesnt smoke, good chance you'd end up with nicotine poisoning.. Walking into a shop would actually be a good idea, as long as its a reputable shop... Your questions would be answered and if you would give the owner a description of the situation he should be able to "tailor" the cigar to it...

jagmqt

Reaction score
Why doesn't your friend get you something you will enjoy? The brands recommended here are all good, but they're not something rare...you can find them anywhere.

If he's in the Keys, he can go to the Conch Republic Cigar Factory...they make a pretty good smoke and they're hard to find outside of Florida...otherwise, wouldn't a better gift be something unique to his trip?

Anyway, if he's getting you an Arturo Fuente, they make some good cigars in all price, flavor, and strength ranges...(they make the Opus X that has been mentioned, and have a Hemmingway series that's really good)

Just seems like an odd gesture...giving a gift that you know the person won't enjoy.

As far as what I like...I prefer Ashtons, their aged maduro is a great cigar. Monticristo Whites are pretty cheap and enjoyable cigars for what they are. Oliva's are excellent...someone mentioned Padrons...I think they meant the 1926...they also make a 1964 and a 40th Anniversary that are excellent.

Cigars are as personal as clothes, wine, scotch, furniture, art, etc...I would say thanks, but no thanks to your friend, and tell him to spend the money on something he will enjoy on his trip.

jag

jhdas

Reaction score
Where in Florida are you going? We've got plenty of good cigar shops down here. If you happen to be going to or through Sarasota, head down to St. Armond's, there's a store called Bennington Tobacco and they're great. They'll give you tips for your first cigar based on what you're looking for and what flavors you already like. Any good cigar shop should be able to do the same.

Mathis

Reaction score
MonteCristo
Cohiba
Ghurka
Fuente are good too

TowleY

Reaction score
Going to South beach Miami, no idea where anything is in relation to it just know its south beach haha. Im prolly going to go to a smoke shop, ask for something thats small, flavorful, and not very strong. What would you guys go to by that criteria, from what im reading arturo fuentes would not be the best choice, Maybe a montechristo, or a R&J

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for something you can legally obtain, I would go with:
La Aurora 1495
La Aurora Preferido
Rocky Patel 1992
Avo #2

Mathis

Reaction score
You would enjoy MonteCristo.

Just tell the guy you buy from you want a very mild cigar.

TowleY

Reaction score
Thanks alot everyone. Leaving for florida tomorrow illlet you guys know what i pcik when I get back on sunday
smile.gif

syberhat

Reaction score
Hope its not too late to post. If you are in Miami I would check out Pepin Garcia's shop and see how cigars are made. I have never visted but have tried many of their cigars and they are all top notch. http://www.elreydeloshabanos.com/

If you can't make it down that way, some of my reasonably priced favorites are:

Ashtons VSG
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos
La Aurora 100 Anos
Padron 1964
CAO MX2 or CX2

Let us know what you end up getting and enjoy your trip!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads