1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

I feel extremely privileged - right place, right time kind of scenario and luck, you couldn't give money to have the same experience in the format it was delivered.

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Damn, that looks like a trip to remember. Glad to hear you had the time of your life!

3. jet

jet Senior member

Fucking awesome, piv was there too. I spotted aj in one of those pics.

I need to go this year need a vacation.

1 person likes this.
  4. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

The Yanks have invaded?!

Yep the place has gone to hell

5. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

No comment I'm a Brit. We overheard an obnoxious guy talking down to a waitress at the outdoor pool cafe at the Nacional for the lack of wifi which worked - had he gone to the front desk after she had told him 5 times he might of got an answer but hey it's Cuba!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

I wasn't referring to you. More Jets comment about seeing fellow Yanks.

Speaking of Jet; thanks for the info on the Montecarlos. A fairly light cigar for your taste but the price is right.

1 person likes this.
  7. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I'm a Yank, but was there with a group of mostly Brits. And I heard Dominique yelling at the Nacionale staff about hot water outage! Ain't just the wifi.

Pretty funny that @torsion and I were there at the same time. We should have got a picture together, your pics look great! Was pretty epic to spend my second night in Cuba in black tie at Festival.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  8. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

My bad J - I only realized I recognized you from somewhere the next morning (it was super late at the Gala after party/smoke at the Nacional and my brain was already switching off). I was trying to sneak off but Mike obviously wanted to stay in support of his boss Edward Sahakian who was rightfully celebrating and he told me to stay put which I'm glad I did.Met so many people!!
    Not smoked since I got back, most of you see I prefer the outdoors and this weather is way too cold, might try the new Cohiba Shorts this evening as a quick shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  9. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Embarrassed to post after Torsion and PIV, but enjoying the last of my HU46s. Usually don't pair with beer, but this Bell's has a touch of honey and a malty profile, so it's sweet enough.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    3 people like this.
  10. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Pffffffft! This was my first trip, and it happened under really fortuitous circumstances and at the last minute.

Also a Mag 46 fan, I found a cardboard 5x3 at el Ajibe's shop from 2005. Not great (cardboard for 12 years), but good with a fresh daiquiri

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  11. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

No need to feel embarrassed at all and as PIV said it was also my first trip and one of those right time,right place kind of moments.We are here to share our love for the leaf,all experiences count![​IMG][​IMG]
    Keep on posting-I feel obliged to keep this thread going by posting as and when I can.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  12. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Couple other pics from the trip:

-new Dumas (smallest of the 3) at the Gala

[​IMG]

Smoking a custom gran corona from Alex at the Tropicana:

[​IMG]

Hector Luis Prieto farm house farmie, 6x60:

[​IMG]

Smoking in La Guarida before dinner:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

That's one thing I didn't get to do, the plantations.How was the farm roll??

14. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Pretty interesting--Hector Luis Prieto won an HSA award in 2005 for best farmer. Most of Cohiba leaves originate from his farm and farms within a 4km radius (take with salt). He had lonsdales and the 6x60's, I only had the latter. Good tobacco, not complex, strong in nicotine. But best part was seeing the shade-grown tents, the drying barn, etc. It's a 3ish hour drive from Havana, so there's always next time...definitely worth going once.

1 person likes this.
  15. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

I definitely need to check out the plantations next time.
    That La Guarida place was amazing-I didn't have dinner there but went to JJFox's event there,what a cool building with such great views!!

16. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

Oh and what are your thoughts on that Dumas?I may burn mine soon as a reference point

17. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I smoked a late 70's Upmann Dunhill ninfa before it, so to me, it just seemed one note. Didn't strike me the way the Monte 80th struck me of really quality tobacco. Also the booze and cigars that day, palate was pretty shot...I'm gonna try the giftbox one soon and we can compare notes.

18. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

Any guys in/around NYC - I am organizing a herf with some guys from another forum (FoH) next Saturday 25th March. Likely to be a daytime thing starting at Nat Sherman townhouse at opening - yes that's right 10AM! If you are interested to come just turn up, the ones I have tried organizing in the past have not had much attendance, the guys that come are super cool and very laid back - I won't be in my usual CBD for a change ;) . Timing may change - the wife prefers this in the evening but depends on what opinions others have. If it ends up starting early I will need to leave around 6pm for childcare duties however I am sure the other guys will keep things going!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  19. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

Anyone thinking of coming PM me as starting venue may change based on weather.

20. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Would love to come, but I'll be destroying my liver at a bachelor weekend...Have fun!