1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Good day yesterday, for wine and cigars both.

One of the few Cuban Davidoff's I've had, followed by one of the best custom rolled cigars I've ever smoked.

[​IMG]

Here's the custom roll - incredible construction.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. jet

jet Senior member

Nice.

Currently enjoying a 98 monarca.

3. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

It's worth describing, briefly, the flavors in the Davidoff. Mind you, I've had a Davi that I didn't think was anything special, so I don't praise rare cigars simply for their rarity (same with wine, etc.).

This one, however, was a trip in the way-back machine. I'm not sure of the production year but I'm guessing late 70s. The simple, and best, way of describing it is this: smoking exceptionally well made vintage cigars like this is an experience in both tasting tobacco that is no longer cultivated, as well as tasting a cigar with a *real* flavor profile, a real personality.

I won't go into too much detail here but these days cigars are not produced in the same way as they used to be. The Partagas factory, for example, does not role exclusively Partagas cigars. The rollers don't know what they are rolling, and a lot of blends are very similar. Blindfolded, many smokers would not be able to distinguish between a Montecristo No. 2 and an Upmann No. 2. While I won't go so far as to say there are no "personalities" to cigar marques any longer, the characteristics that you could achieve when you had deciated factories and rollers and more strains of tobacco in production was *far*greater than you'll ever be able to get today.

That's why it's such a pleasure to take a trip back in time with cigars like this -- it's smoking history, and history tastes good.

3 people like this.
  4. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

@Girardian Lovely review, thank you. Not only do namesake factories not produce their offspring solely anymore, you have certain aberrations recently like MUO 2014 Romeo Churchills, MUO 2014 PSD4 (el Laguito code)--that I've tried, and while the Churchills are Esplendidos in everything but name (budget Cohiba?), the PSD4 taste sort of mottled generic CoRo. Blind tastings are super helpful in gaining humility and confirmation bias with cigars (and wine)--something I am still learning. Increasing roles of provincial factories changed the unique characteristics of marcas, of that marca's cigars, forever--and while you do get the occasional Partagas-factory Partagas, it's perhaps a) more rare and b) less true to the marca of old. Happy to report I've picked up 15 boxes of ULA MAY15 PSD4, early impression is good.

Storage is obviously key in the Davidoff/Dunhill reselling market...there was a large-ish scandal a few years ago regarding very aesthetically appropriate Dunhill cigars that...were not what they purported to be. You can get badly stored boxes/singles, which are dull and lifeless, or you can get one that smokes like the above.

Generalizations are tricky sometimes, but overall, I think there is quite definitely a lack of marca characteristic, and it's for really quite a lot of reasons. Strain changes in tobacco, fermenting changes, et al all contribute to this. But Por Larranaga Picadores--generic. A rash of other cigars just taste like...meh.

And to follow that post up with a '98 Monarca...hopefully a tubo...@jet is pretty sweet. '98 Monarcas are the best of breed and a forgotten recipie...one of the non-edicion limitata edicion limitadas. They are wonderful cigars. '98 Churchills en tubo are really good but not quite the same. Though never had them back to back, blind.

I'm quite tempted to run a blind tasting on my cigar forum of the MUO and ULA PSD4, the Ramon Allones Germany RE 898 and modern Partagas 898...many such blinds to do.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. jet

jet Senior member

Yes tubo of course, it was good though admittedly I was smoking it while working so I wasn't fully focusing on it. I wouldn't say it was wasted though because several times throughout did I pause and pay attention.

In breaking my normal habit of putting boxes away (and being burned by so many boxes of psd4) I decided to smoke one of my ULA d4s and my impression was good as well. The cigar started off very d4 like which is something I haven't experienced in quite a while. It did lose steam and get rather muted after the first third which was disappointing but somewhat expected as I find the cigars mature from foot to head. I will be revisiting one perhaps every 3-4 months to see how they progress. I feel they have the potential to be as great as my buddy's magical 08 d4s were around 2011.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Took the day off today and it warmed up enough to actually enjoy a cigar outside. Smoking a Rocky Patel Super Ligero lancero. This is a damn fine cigar.

7. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

I think this would be very interesting and I'm game if it's run with participation here.

8. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

+1 I'm up for this too.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I've been on a bit of a lancero kick of late. I picked up a box each of Avo Heritage and Eastern Standard Silk Road lanceros.

@jet Where do you get your Cuban connection? Online or through dealers/networks you know?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  10. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Ok, what vitolas would everyone prefer...I think it's cheating a bit for me to do something with cigars specifically mentioned already, but I can do 2 cigars of the same size unbanded?

Dull and lifeless, must have been bad storage, shame.
    [​IMG]

11. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Damn, that's disappointing. Sorry to hear that J, I've heard incredible things about the Habanos2000 releases.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  12. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I've had fantastic Millennium robustos...but this particular cigar, meh.

13. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Many years ago I was at a herf and a friend lit up a Partagas Lonsdale (Habanos) from 2000. Several minutes later, in frustration, he pitched it into the fire. He then proceeded to light another. And did the same thing. Finally, he lit a third – relieved to finally find one with a good draw and good construction, and happily smoked away ....

This story sticks with me because it's emblematic of what separates more "serious" smokers from less dedicated ones. The draw wasn't rigth so it was time to pitch it (others might have opted for a "draw poker" or other device to try and salvage the cigar, but the point is the same -- without redemption, life was too short).

This weekend I lit up an occasional pleasure, an Esplendido. Rarely have I had an Espi that did not "hit the spot" with the classic Cohiba creamy/beany/grassy profile that comes through so well in these cigars. Try as I did to love it, this one seemed imbalanced, and rough around the edges. Ultimately, it wasn't a delightful cigar. I probably should have given up sooner than I did – but the point is that when I recognized that I wasn't getting what I wanted (and wasn't going to get it from this cigar), back to the humidor I went and fetched a much smaller Trinidad original release TPC. Perfection. Balanced, flavorful, satisfying -- not a hint of dissapointment.

The moral of this story? For most of us, smoking is a special occasion. For most of us, we have many cigars to choose from. Make the most of it. Life is too short not too.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. jet

jet Senior member

I have the least patience of all my friends. Some will sit there, pick, poke and cut until they get a draw. For me the frustration isn't worth it and neither is the ensuing experience. I'm quick to pitch a stick regardless of price though I too am guilty of not giving up sooner at times and at times the cigar has gotten better and then I've pitched it. A friend of mine who makes good money will literally do anything it takes to smoke a problematic stick while I puff away and grin at his antics as he struggles. He also has far more cigars than I do yet somehow I spend more time enjoying and less time fighting.

15. alpyigit

alpyigit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never been one of my go to brands, recently enjoying Punch enormously..

1 person likes this.
  16. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Nice Diver! After the 15400 and 15202, it is one of my favorite, non-Offshore, models. I tend to prefer AP's simpler designs and (would) leave the over-sized, fashion-y Offshore models to NBA players and rappers (had I the dough to actually buy one, that is).

17. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Weather have finaly been more clement today (around 0 Celsius) after being nordic last week-end (as low as 30, 35 below zero with wind factor). I took the opportunity to enjoy a nice Padron 1964 Anniversary. These never let me down! Flavorful, the draw is pristine, and I love the box press. Plus, they produce the thickest, creamiest smoke of everything I've smoked so far.

On a side note, I think I've finally got the hang at retro-haling. Definitively took a couple of (painful) tries, but I'm getting there!

1 person likes this.
  18. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

@Girardian Original Reyes, very nice!

Forgot to post this last week. 1997 Churchill, but in a Cuban twist, rolled at el Laguito. Extraordinary cigar, a 'one and done' experience.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Had a ED54 yesterday that was plugged. Per our earlier discussion, ended up just letting it go about 40-50% in after trying to make it work. Instead went with a L'Atelier black label and followed that up with a Montecarlo. Very very good, the two of them.

20. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Those L'Atelier are one fine smoke to be sure. I like the smaller white label cigars as a quick lunch time smoke on those days when the weather permits. If you like Pete Johnson stuff, the Tatuaje Fausto is very good also..