Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Viaje TNT [​IMG] This stick is very substantial. Stands at 6.25"x54rg and is heavy in the hand, sort of like a Liga Privada. the construction is stellar, which is the norm with almost every viaje stick I've handled. Holy pepper start, Batman! Almost knocked me on my ass with the first 10 puffs or so. Certainly gets your attention. The pepper mellows to extinction after a few minutes and a nice nutty/leather flavor with a little cinnamon flavor. The cinnamon is more present in the aroma from the smoke than the taste, but is very pleasant. Coffee comes into play about half way in. Spices dies when the coffee appears. The profile really doesn't change much from here. Pretty full flavored smoke that will take about 1.5 hours to finish. At first, I was scared with how powerful the start was. I thought it was going to be too much and the smoke was living up to its name, but not the case. The burn and draw were flawless. Overall, not a complex as the DES or the Robusto, but overall I will definitely be buying more of these to sit on and see how they age. I'm onboard the Viaje train. Every one of their cigars I have enjoyed. Their regular offering is a good Nic that is about $6-7. Somewhat hard to find due to them being relatively new. Thanks for the bday present, ama.

2. ama

ama Senior member

Have not posted my smokes in a while so I figured I'd update this with a few of rare Viajes that I manged to get my hands on the past couple weeks.

Viaje Summerfest - A 5 x 50 robusto that with a release of only 30 boxes. Lots of citrus and leather. A sour note on the back end ruined it a little, but I anticipate that will go away in six months.

*update* Had another 2 days ago. The sourness turned into sweetness. These are fantastic now. Like smoking a Casa Fuente tangerine mojito!
    [​IMG]

Viaje Holiday Blend - Released for the holiday season last year. a 5 x 52 robusto what is chocked full of leather and holiday spices (cinnamon, clove and nutmeg). Hopefully these will be rereleased this winter too.
    [​IMG]

Viaje Skull and Bones - a 4 x 52 powerhouse of a smoke. Great flavors, lots of coffee and sweets. Construction was spot on, ash held on till the band and could have gone longer had I not knocked it off like a klutz. A little stronger than I like my cigars generally, but the flavors compensated for that.
    [​IMG]

3. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Big time holiday spices like ama said. Reminds me of bread pudding.

[​IMG]

4. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Had my first Viaje today. I understand now.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

which one?

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

Smoked a trinidad fundadores which was good and enjoyable, share a similar profile with most trinis.

Had a cohiba maduro which was very good, surprised.

7. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Senior member

Had my first Patel Bros Toro yesterday and I enjoyed tremendously, by far the best RP I'sve had, full bodied with a pepper start, earth and coffee/cocoa.
    Thanks for the recommendation guys

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Johnny-O Corona Gorda

[​IMG]

These have quite the story. There is minimal info on these but from what I can gather and what I have been told, there is a guy in Florida (probably goes by Johnny) that farms his own tobacco, rolls the cigars, and sells them locally. No bands, no boxes, just bundles of 25 and comes in various vitolas. Some call them Cubans made in America. Sort of an ugly wrapper. Had some spots on it, some veins, but looked OK overall.

I need to sample more (I have 11-12 left so no issue there) because I think these were slightly over-humidified. I felt it when I was cutting it and the draw was slightly tight. I thought about dry boxing it for a few hours outside, but i'm far too impatient.

The flavors remind me of an opus. These pack a punch. I can taste a deep earthy flavor with a bit of clove mixed in. There are some spices in here that i can't identify yet. Something that sweetens it up, but I can't put my finger on it. The flavors really don't change too much. I'm not sure how old they are or what, but I'm sure they will age very nicely over time. I think with time, the flavors will mellow out and not be as in your face strong.

The burn was great all the way through, no issues there. The ask is white and thick as can be and each puff provided a ton of smoke.

I will sit on them to rest in my humidor for a couple months before I sample again, but these are definitely worth trying to find.

9. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Had a La VeritÃ[​IMG] today (paid $20.18 for it). It was good. Very good. I'm not sure if I can say it is a $20 stick, but it was good. I think another will be had soon to sit in my humidor and rest.

Good cigar. Unfortunately, since there's no discount on price when you buy a box, I don't think i'll be buying one soon. If any, maybe the 10 stick box.

I think a Cain Nub is on deck... I've been asked to review it... but large RG sticks aren't really my cup of tea. Ah well, change is good.

10. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

a couple of robustos i smoked on my lunch break in a nearby park.

perdomo 1991 est vintage
    la gloria cubana wavell maduro.

enjoyed them both very much, the post lunch smoke is definitely becoming my favorite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Smoked a Gurkha Evil torpedo last night.. Was probably 90 degrees or so at 9:30 at night, so that was a welcome break. Not sure these get much love in here, mainly because I don't think Gurkha the brand gets much love in here. The Evil is a different cigar though, very different flavor profile from the rest of the Gurkha line.

12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

the evil is pretty good. i've bought a few more robustos since the one you sent me. i agree, it is different than most others and i am a fan.

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

the evil is pretty good. i've bought a few more robustos since the one you sent me. i agree, it is different than most others and i am a fan.

That's right, I did throw one of those in.

I was surprised when I had the first, wasn't expecting much. The guy who works at my B&M knows me very well, and recommends a couple of cigars each time I go in. It's how I found the Evil, Viaje, Illusione No. 2, DPG JJ Maduro, and La Riqueza, among many, many others.... Saved me a lot of money over time, since I don't waste $$ on sticks I don't like.. Cost me a lot of money over time, since I buy his recommendations and come back for more. On net, I am sure I am in the black. Positive. Really..

14. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Had a pretty solid 08 Upmann MAG 46 today.

15. tom153

tom153 Senior member

Had a pretty solid 08 Upmann MAG 46 today.

Mine have been smoking great for the past couple of weeks also. My 09 Trini reyes seem to be coming around as well.