Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Just got everything in my EdgeStar working, and the RH is slowly climbing up to 65%. I have that thermostat working, so it's sitting beautifully at 70 degrees. Have 6 boxes in there for now, but my shelves etc. haven't come in yet for me to get everything fully set up. But I got to empty out a lot of space in my humidors, and started seasoning a travel size one (they had them on sale at cheap humidors for $10+shipping for a 10 count.)

Tomorrow, I already have a Padron Anni '64 lined up to smoke. I hear it's supposed to be good.

BTW: I ended up going with 6 small tupperware containers to spread evenly around the top & bottom of the wineador. Firstly, because I wanted something sturdy for now so I can balance them on the wine racks, and also because I couldn't get myself to go to Kroger and buy some pantyhose. I'm not man enough I guess.

2. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

They are, at least I think. That being said, they taste like they have great potential for their age.

Hmm, yeah, I still have no idea how you can square these two statements:

"Sit on that Upman Mag 48 EL for a good long while, it is nowhere near ready."

+

"You really think that they are better than last year's Mag 48? The couple Mag 48s I've had have been great."

To me, "nowhere near ready" = not enjoyable, like underripe fruit.

3. ama

ama Senior member

Hmm, yeah, I still have no idea how you can square these two statements:

"Sit on that Upman Mag 48 EL for a good long while, it is nowhere near ready."

+

"You really think that they are better than last year's Mag 48? The couple Mag 48s I've had have been great."

To me, "nowhere near ready" = not enjoyable, like underripe fruit.

I don't think they are ready; they will be a lot better in a few years. That said, they are still good. If I had five I would put three away for the future and have two now. I sent B one with the advice that he put that one away since it was all he had. The statements aren't irreconcilable, you just aren't reading them knowing or understanding the full context behind them and jumping to conclusions.

4. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Ama, forgot about the Mag48. Liked the fiver I had. Not the biggest fan of the size but you are right--good, showing promise. V, I will do a full box count tomorrow but for reference I have the unit at the bottom of this page, made to be 25" deep and not the standard 19"--recommended if you're getting the THC model which I have as the insulation adds thickness to the cabinet. Good investment to get the temp control. Bitch to get from the curb to the apt. Smoking one of these now, my first Fonseca in years: [​IMG] Light bodied cigar, progressing to lighter side of medium halfway through. Florals, some mild spice. Gonna try another one with coffee first thing in the morning in after these rest a bit.

5. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Ama, forgot about the Mag48. Liked the fiver I had. Not the biggest fan of the size but you are right--good, showing promise. V, I will do a full box count tomorrow but for reference I have the unit at the bottom of this page, made to be 25" deep and not the standard 19"--recommended if you're getting the THC model which I have as the insulation adds thickness to the cabinet. Good investment to get the temp control. Bitch to get from the curb to the apt. Smoking one of these now, my first Fonseca in years: [​IMG] Light bodied cigar, progressing to lighter side of medium halfway through. Florals, some mild spice. Gonna try another one with coffee first thing in the morning in after these rest a bit.
    How much age do you have on that Fonseca? I have a young box of No. 1s that I bought earlier this summer (box date is January 09), and I'm contemplating having one tonight to see how they are doing. It'll be my first taste of forbidden fruit. just noticed that those were a special edition. nvm on my comment.

6. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Friend told me he has stocked up on the 08 #1's--despite that the statement doesn't mean much since we all have different tastes. But he said "Forget the stories of lousy construction and too light in flavor. Fonseca is one of the best deals Habanos has out there." For what it's worth.

My Benelux RE Fonsecas are Mar10.

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

damn thc adds a grip to the build

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Whelp. Power is out at my place. Drove up to my local and tried a viaje double edged sword and the re release of the exclusivo robusto.

These live up to the hype. The DES is stronger of the two but both are so good. I paid an arm and a leg for these but well worth the investment. Lots of dark chocolate and coffee flavors. Hints of cinnamon throughout. The DES has a bit more of a bite to it.

All told, if you can get your hands on some, buy them. Only 3000 DESs and 1250 robustos were made. Going quick

9. ama

ama Senior member

Whelp. Power is out at my place. Drove up to my local and tried a viaje double edged sword and the re release of the exclusivo robusto.

These live up to the hype. The DES is stronger of the two but both are so good. I paid an arm and a leg for these but well worth the investment. Lots of dark chocolate and coffee flavors. Hints of cinnamon throughout. The DES has a bit more of a bite to it.

All told, if you can get your hands on some, buy them. Only 3000 DESs and 1250 robustos were made. Going quick

He speaks the truth.

[​IMG]

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

With some hype surrounding the recent crop of Trinidad Robustos, I (ama too) have a box on order. Punch Punch as well.

stepping up my CC game.

11. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Had a UK RE Juan Lopez Seleccion Suprema this AM. Forgettable cigar. Thicker, longer, but lighter in flavor than the JL #1's I love. Have a Cohiba '06 EL on deck if weather permits today.

Is there an online source for these Viajes, or are they B&M only? I'd be curious to try a couple.

12. ama

ama Senior member

13. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

He speaks the truth.

[​IMG]

Is that a menu in the background? [​IMG]

Just kopped some robustos, wanted some DES, maybe I'll check some B&Ms but I doubt they'll have any

14. ama

ama Senior member

Is that a menu in the background? [​IMG]

Just kopped some robustos, wanted some DES, maybe I'll check some B&Ms but I doubt they'll have any

Yea, I was on a rooftop bar. [​IMG] rooftop bars!

Unless they were one of the five that got them I wouldn't bother. The DES was a super limted release. You can PM me for more info if you are interested.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

what a week it's been. decided to splurge a little and go for a davidoff maduro robusto. i have had a couple other davidoff blends that i have really enjoyed and wanted to see what the maduro was all about. [​IMG] Pre-Light Beautiful wrapper, obviously darker than other davidoff cigars. scent of coffee and faint vanilla. Draw was spot on. First Third: Hints of cedar, coffee, and light chocolate. apparent maduro sweetness is present, which isn't in the regular lineup. i think it complements the smoke very much. Thick, white smoke after every puff. Very complex, smooth start. Second Third: Things start to change about 1.5" in. taste gets richer and more pronounced. stronger coffee/chocolate flavor. something else is prevalent, but i can't quite figure it out. it's a really refined spice flavor, but for the life of me can't figure it out or what it even reminds of. Final Third: The spice i can't figure out fades and the mocha flavor takes a backseat to cedar, but overall, the profile stays the same. the flavor seems to mellow out to resemble the first third which makes for a great finish. The burn and draw have been spot on throughout. This cigar was absolutely fantastic. easily, one of the nicest cigars i've ever smoked. ranks right up there with a Siglo VI. They are pretty expensive, but I'd be more inclined to buy these over Padron 26s or the Anniversaries for a similar price. I'm not sure how accessible these are for people, but if you can find one, try it. Also. The best trade of my life. Traded a bunch of Brickhouses for this....8 Siglo IIs (2009), 8 SLR As (2001), and Partagas Corona something (1998), and a few others. [​IMG]