Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. dpatsil

dpatsil Senior member

Don't waste your time on the VR DA. The Famoso is better.

AMA, you mentioned the BRC's being a touch harsh in the '09 vintage. It would a good thing if it were true. The cubans have pretty much emasculated the entire Bolivar line in the last 15 years. That earthy flavor is pretty much gone. Just a fucking shame....

2. ama

ama Senior member

I think these are '06, not '09. All the same, within the last 15 years.

3. ama

ama Senior member

Double post, sorry.

4. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I really like the Boli RC. It was my first box of cubans ever. I thought I was bad ass. It's similar to the rass, but a little bit more well rounded. They usually are quite a bit too harsh, which is why I was delited how good this one was, it was a youngin too

5. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I had a really good lunch today. Enjoying rest of my day with this fuente fuente. [​IMG]

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

my vr famoso i had on saturday had a somewhat soapy taste but it was good

7. dpatsil

dpatsil Senior member

I really like the Boli RC. It was my first box of cubans ever. I thought I was bad ass. It's similar to the rass, but a little bit more well rounded. They usually are quite a bit too harsh, which is why I was delited how good this one was, it was a youngin too

Funny, cuz I think they are way too mild. Milder than most Boli's. The last good Boli RC's I had were from the 1994 vintage. I had someone mule back two boxes from Amsterdam in '96. I much prefer the BPC's in Cab 50's. They are a bit punchier. However, the whole line is a mere shadow of its former self. I guess I'm bitter because the old blend is my favorite cigar profile of all time. Why don't they make those really earthy cigars anymore? The old Boli's tasted like potting soil.

8. ama

ama Senior member

Funny, cuz I think they are way too mild. Milder than most Boli's. The last good Boli RC's I had were from the 1994 vintage. I had someone mule back two boxes from Amsterdam in '96. I much prefer the BPC's in Cab 50's. They are a bit punchier. However, the whole line is a mere shadow of its former self. I guess I'm bitter because the old blend is my favorite cigar profile of all time. Why don't they make those really earthy cigars anymore? The old Boli's tasted like potting soil.

Some of the new Davidoffs (NCs, I know, don't shoot me!) have a very musty/earthy profile like the one your describing. That is about the only thing they have in common with CCs though.

9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Tatuaje Boris
    [​IMG]

Sweet (almost minty) salty start. Unlike most regular pepin/pete blends, there is not the initial pepper kick that knocks you on your ass. Hints of almonds and coffee come into play an inch or so in. there sweetness stays throughout but subsides as the smoke progresses. The last half the sweetness goes away and it gets spicier. Roasted nuts and stronger coffee flavors come forward. Strong finish but not unpleasant. The construction was solid. Draw was perfect. The aroma that comes from the smoke is really nice. Even my girlfriend, who normally does not like the smell of cigars, commented on how nice it smelled.

All in all, a really good cigar that is unlike most tatuaje blends. Would I go to the ends of the earth or write Pete Johnson hate-mail (which happened) because I couldn't get some, no, but if you have the opportunity to try one, do so. They are more to my liking that most other Tatuaje blends i've tried.

10. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Oh I dont think they are full bodied at all. The RASS have much more kick to them. By harsh I meant when they are young they have more bite, and they have more of that ammonia taste to them.

11. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Colour of ash doesnt say anything, that's a myth.

12. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

It means it has a lot of calcium and phosphorus in it. I can tell you that just about every cigar Ive had with perfect white ash has been fantastic, while ugly ash cigars have been a toss up.

13. dpatsil

dpatsil Senior member

Tonight was my first time smoking the '04 Wolters Boli Gold Medal. I did not think the Cubans could make an earthy cigar anymore but, wow, this cigar was earthy! It was also medium/full-bodied. I absolutely loved it! This is in stark contrast to the 5 boxes of '07's I had bought. I sampled a few and gave the rest of them away because I was so disappointed in them. They were very mild and had little flavor. You could chalk up the '07's to youth but they should have been unpleasant in a harsh/tannic way than a mild/no-flavor way. I have some '08's that I haven't cracked and will try one soon just to see if the 07's were just a bad year. I guess hope springs eternal.[​IMG]

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

It means it has a lot of calcium and phosphorus in it. I can tell you that just about every cigar Ive had with perfect white ash has been fantastic, while ugly ash cigars have been a toss up.

I have to agree with this. It's not a necessary or sufficent condition, but usually a strong indicator in my experience.

15. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

sol is from mexico, you should be able to find it pretty easily in the usa.