Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

holy, i was just giving you shit. lighten up a little.
    Sorry, can be hard to tell sometimes. [​IMG]
    Oddly, I have 65% beads but the humidity still creeps up. [​IMG] I guess I will leave the cover off for a few hours.

2. dpatsil

dpatsil Senior member

65% should be the top end of your humidity range. I like 60-62%. That is a long way from 70% and it makes a huge difference in how the cigars smoke.

Everybody and their Mother buys from Puro and 1001 so no news there and the gov't could care less anymore under the new administration. The guys on the private boards have password-protected stores where they buy their cigars. The savings used to be significant. I've noticed the past couple years that the prices aren't all that different anymore. The real price difference seems to be in the Cab 50's.

3. ama

ama Senior member

Hmm. Well, I am not planning on smoking very much until I go on vacation so I will perhaps take the time to reduce the humidity and compare after I get back.

Why? Will I be tried before the HUAC? It's not 1963 anymore. Neither of us is American and discussing it is protected by the first amendment.

If you have 65% beads, and you know that they are of quality, and you are sure that your hydro is accurate, than you are most likely over-charging them. Try drying them out (hair dryer works best for this) and only charging 75% of the beads. Or, you could do what I do and get an extra tube and keep it uncharged in your humi to absorb the extra moister in the air in the summer.

In terms of discussing sources, it has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It is about the courtesy to sites themselves and people that buy from them to not draw attention to the purchasing of CCs. The less presence they have on message boards, blogs, chats, etc. the less likely they will be targets of any legal actions or have packages with an address associated with them singled out in customs.

4. dpatsil

dpatsil Senior member

The secret is long out and the volume with which they ship is already quite large. Add to the fact that the embargo is probably going to end in the next 2-3 years. The Feds have already ratcheted down their enforcement efforts. You can thank Obama for that. There is already a bill in Congress to allow American tourists to travel freely to Cuba. The majority of Congress is already in favor of dropping the embargo.

This thing is largely over. BTW, did you see the cover of Fortune a few months back. They argued that since Obama is not enforcing the Feds position on Pot that it is de facto legal in this country as well.

I truly believe you got nothing to worry about.

5. holymadness

^^ Hooray! But would lifting the embargo mean prices will go up? [​IMG]

6. ama

ama Senior member

The secret is long out and the volume with which they ship is already quite large. Add to the fact that the embargo is probably going to end in the next 2-3 years. The Feds have already ratcheted down their enforcement efforts. You can thank Obama for that. There is already a bill in Congress to allow American tourists to travel freely to Cuba. The majority of Congress is already in favor of dropping the embargo.

This thing is largely over. BTW, did you see the cover of Fortune a few months back. They argued that since Obama is not enforcing the Feds position on Pot that it is de facto legal in this country as well.

I truly believe you got nothing to worry about.

For the most part I agree with you. I am sure that everyone and their mother knows about some of more famous sources, but, both from a legality perspective and price protection perspective, there is still no reason to blurt them out on sites that are so frequently indexed by Google. In 2 - 3 years it very well might be a different story!

7. jerms24k

jerms24k Senior member

Incidentally, I am headed to Spain in a couple weeks. I have heard good things about the 2009 ER Punch double robusto and (especially) the 2008 ER Ramon Allones Grandes. Have you tried any?

Haven't tried the punch, but the RA Grandes are excellent and well worth a pickup if you can find them while you're there.

8. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I got a day off today. Smoking a gift t52....oh boy it's great. My boy is sending me a 06 Cazadores. That should be great too.
    [​IMG]

9. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Re: RA Grandes, pick up for sure if you can find them. Plus, love the presentation--3-4-3 in a varnished box. I have had three so far from mine, one 'meh', one good, and one excellent. They all were missing the 'fruit' flavor associated with the marca, but primarily I got cedar, sweetness, leather, and progressively earthier flavor. Very nice.

As for the Punch Grand Robusto (09), I have only had one so I don't want to pass judgement just yet. Not as tannic as an RS, but very full flavored/bodied. Smooth, creamy, with some pepper towards the end.

The real grab, if you can find them, is the 07 RE VR Maestros.

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

^J what's your opinion on trin robustos?

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

He recommended them a few pages back

12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

warren, those t52s are stellar. get better with some humidor time too.

Long day and went two days without a cigar.

Vegas Robaina Famoso
    Robusto - 5" x 48ring
    Box Code: unknown - forgot to write it down before i sent the box to ama
    Weather: 78F (25.5C, 298.7K), 59% humidity, winds from the SSE at 5mph. Barometric Pressure unknown.

[​IMG]

Prelight: Wonderful aroma. sweet smell of fruit, hints of wood. No prominent veins. Slight box press.

1st Third: Slight spice after the start to get your attention, then quickly smooths out. There is an underlying dark fruit flavor, dark cherries to me.

2nd/3rd: Underlying sweetness stays, but some wood notes come out to play. Just real smooth all around. No harshness at all, but does get stronger as the smoke progresses. The spiciness has a flavor not like pepper, hard to explain.

Verdict: TRY ONE! i think even holymadness would approve of such fine tobacco gracing his palette.

13. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

[​IMG] You down with BRC, yeah you know me. [​IMG] A lot of shit talk about the no9, I dont see the hatred for them. This no9 was in a t52 box, so I was kinda pissed. The t52 is clearly better, but the no9 aint bad.

14. ama

ama Senior member

May 09, they are youngins.

[​IMG]

What did you think of the BRC? The ones I've had so far have still been a touch harsh.

[​IMG]

Viaje Double Edged Sword

Couldn't get a good picture, but its a pretty good looking double perfecto with a smooth mocha wrapper. Lots of spice and wood lead it off. After the first ten puffs or so espresso and chocolate join and stay till then end. Leather in there too and something a little fruity sweet that I can't quite put my finger on yet. Draw had a slight resistance and burn was perfect. Really, a pretty incredible stick and prob. one of the better ones I've smoked this year.

On a side note, I managed to snag an extra box so I have few five packs available if anyone here is interested. PM me for details. (P.S. I am by no means trying to get rid of the cigars because I don't like them, quite the contrary, I bought extra to share with some friends of mine and some people on here if they were interested. If no one is interested I'll happily keep these as there were only 125 boxes produced and to the best of my knowledge are all sold out.)

15. holymadness

Haven't tried the punch, but the RA Grandes are excellent and well worth a pickup if you can find them while you're there.

Re: RA Grandes, pick up for sure if you can find them. Plus, love the presentation--3-4-3 in a varnished box. I have had three so far from mine, one 'meh', one good, and one excellent. They all were missing the 'fruit' flavor associated with the marca, but primarily I got cedar, sweetness, leather, and progressively earthier flavor. Very nice.

As for the Punch Grand Robusto (09), I have only had one so I don't want to pass judgement just yet. Not as tannic as an RS, but very full flavored/bodied. Smooth, creamy, with some pepper towards the end.

The real grab, if you can find them, is the 07 RE VR Maestros.

Thanks for the recommendations. "If you can find them" is the operating phrase. I will report back!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    warren, those t52s are stellar. get better with some humidor time too.

Long day and went two days without a cigar.

Vegas Robaina Famoso
    Robusto - 5" x 48ring
    Weather: 78F (25.5C, 298.7K), 59% humidity, winds from the SSE at 5mph. Barometric Pressure unknown.

[​IMG]

Prelight: Wonderful aroma. sweet smell of fruit, hints of wood. No prominent veins. Slight box press.

1st Third: Slight spice after the start to get your attention, then quickly smooths out. There is an underlying dark fruit flavor, dark cherries to me.

2nd/3rd: Underlying sweetness stays, but some wood notes come out to play. Just real smooth all around. No harshness at all, but does get stronger as the smoke progresses. The spiciness has a flavor not like pepper, hard to explain.

Verdict: TRY ONE! i think even holymadness would approve of such fine tobacco gracing his palette.

I love VR Famosos. [​IMG] Probably the only thing in this brand that I consistently enjoy, although I haven't tried their longer cigars (Clasicos and Don Alejandros). Plus for $6 each you can't really go wrong.