Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

cant be too big.. can it?

2. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Whats your guys advice for a good humidor? Should I just get a desk one and when I start buying sticks to age get a bigger one?

go bigger than what you think is big enough.

3. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

+1
    I think a 300 ct would be a solid start.

4. jobro

jobro Senior member

Whats your guys advice for a good humidor? Should I just get a desk one and when I start buying sticks to age get a bigger one?

Good luck finding a decent humidor in Australia.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

i have a 165 count but for someone starting out a 300 is way too big, i'd wait awhile to see what your smoking pattern, level of enjoyment etc is before copping a 300 ct

savoy in size xl is a great size, they can be had for about 220 depending on the wood

may just cop the trinis and report ama

7. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

NCs with 3 years on it wouldn't have given you those problems. just saying.
    With ama consistently posting that this or that NC needs 2-3 more years before it becomes smokable and fucknu and PartagasIV posting about how good some 09/10 CCs are, I'm fairly confident we can put paid to that myth.
    You keep your CCs at 70% RH?

Unfortunate you got a bad one. Maybe you'll have better luck tom.

I recently switched to a bigger humidor and have been adding singles from time to time which has bumped it up to around 70%. I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference from 65%.
    Just ordered a couple of boxes of the new Fonseca Benelux regional, a Hermosos #4 size...same as the Bolivar Simones, another excellent regional from a few years ago.
    http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/ima...ux_614full.jpg

Had a crap draw with my first Monte A today, so lit up an '07 VR Maestros RE Spain and TEB Mar08 RASS which was too loose but superb flavors....

Incidentally, I am headed to Spain in a couple weeks. I have heard good things about the 2009 ER Punch double robusto and (especially) the 2008 ER Ramon Allones Grandes. Have you tried any?
    I like the way that no amount of filtering can disguise the way you slobber like a drunken whore all over the ends of your cigars.
    Since you are just starting out and have no idea what you'll like, how often you'll smoke, or how many cigars you'll want to keep for storage, I would spring for the cheapest setup you can find, i.e. a water/airtight tupperware that can hold around 75-100 sticks, some leftover cedar spills from your local B&M, some Heartfelt beads and an adjustable digital hygrometer. Shouldn't cost more than $50, max. That way, when you replace it (and you inevitably will if you get into the hobby, it's sort of like trading your old AEs for EGs), you won't have squandered a ton of money on a now-inadequate humidor.
    Any good websites for buying cigars?, that will deliver to Canada. Ive seen a few contenders but that last thing i want is to spend 450 on a box of Bolivar Belicosa finos and find them to be all cracked up, or not aged/ rejects from the factories.
    I buy from puroexpress and 1001cubancigars without any problems, though have had no experience with shipping to Canada. Your biggest worry probably won't be cost or quality, it will be getting dinged by customs fees.

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I have finally decided to give up on the Liga Privada No. 9 after three attempts to enjoy these cigars. The T-52 is a great smoke, but I just cannot find anything redeeming about the 9 at its price. It'd make a pretty decent 5 dollar cigar.

9. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I like the way that no amount of filtering can disguise the way you slobber like a drunken whore all over the ends of your cigars.

I bite my cigars, so naturally the head is going to become wet. It's really not an issue, i don't know why you bring it up so often, it's like your obsessed, its adorable.

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

couldn't agree more on the 9s. hard to believe they are related to the t52s, which is one of my fav at the moment.

11. ama

ama Senior member

With ama consistently posting that this or that NC needs 2-3 more years before it becomes smokable and fucknu and PartagasIV posting about how good some 09/10 CCs are, I'm fairly confident we can put paid to that myth.

I recently switched to a bigger humidor and have been adding singles from time to time which has bumped it up to around 70%. I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference from 65%.

I buy from...

I want no part in this. Occasionally one encounters a NC that could use a little more time, but across the board they are much more approachable than CCs fresh on the shelves. I do not consistently post that most sticks need 2 - 3 years.

I am sure that you will notice an appreciable difference if you switch to 65%, especially is you don't dry box. Flavors will certainly be more pronounced and more issues with burns, plugging and draw will dissipate.

Also, you should know better than to name sources in public.

I have finally decided to give up on the Liga Privada No. 9 after three attempts to enjoy these cigars. The T-52 is a great smoke, but I just cannot find anything redeeming about the 9 at its price. It'd make a pretty decent 5 dollar cigar.

Thirded. The T52 is way better than the 9.

12. holymadness

I want no part in this. Occasionally one encounters a NC that could use a little more time, but across the board they are much more approachable than CCs fresh on the shelves. I do not consistently post that most sticks need 2 - 3 years.
    I didn't say anything about most, I was just citing exceptions to the 'rule' that we've seen in the last two weeks alone. The fact remains that it's not a universal given that a 3-year-old NC will smoke 'better' than an equally-aged CC. Not to mention that NC is an immense category comprising several countries hosting individual corporations that all adhere to different standards, so forgive me if I roll my eyes a bit when I hear these sorts of grandiose claims. I find it likewise risible that I get taken to task by the clique for every opinion I have on NCs, but when bdeuce who professes to be new to Cubans and know little about them deigns to weigh in with broad generalizations no one bats an eye; in fact, people jump on board. [​IMG]
    Hmm. Well, I am not planning on smoking very much until I go on vacation so I will perhaps take the time to reduce the humidity and compare after I get back.
    Why? Will I be tried before the HUAC? It's not 1963 anymore. Neither of us is American and discussing it is protected by the first amendment.

13. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Senior member

Its interesting that neither of you are American but claim protection under the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution.

On a different note, had a '99 RyJ Cazadores yesterday, it was pretty amazing, cocoa, woody flavors with a floral note the second half. The amazing thing about well aged cigars is the flavors seem more distinct

14. holymadness

To be clear, discussing it on an American forum is protected by the 1st amendment. That's assuming the servers are even hosted in the US and the owners are American. Otherwise it's a non-issue.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

holy, i was just giving you shit. lighten up a little.

also, reduce the humidity to 65%. in my experience, 70% created a world of problems for me when i first started and bought 70% beads. i threw them away after constant acidic tasting and poor drawing cigars filled my small collection.