Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

That beer looks delicious. One thing that I miss about Europe is the beer. Good beer is ubiquitous there... here you have to search.

Today will be no smoking for me; tomorrow after my organic chemistry midterm will be very different.

haha, sol is neither european nor good. it's just like corona. no flavour.

2. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

haha, sol is neither european nor good. it's just like corona. no flavour.

yeah lol, so it was said; therefore I noted later that I retracted my previous statement [​IMG]

had a cabaiguan that I had intended on smoking earlier last week. burn was strange, flavor profile was a bit off, but was definitely worth the time to smoke it.

Assuming I feel good about this midterm today, another smoke tonight.

3. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Which beers are you talking about when you say European brews are delicious?

4. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

One thing that I miss about Europe is the beer. Good beer is ubiquitous there... here you have to search.

I hope you're not being cereal, there are a plethora of top notch US American beers. Even if you buy your beers at a grocery store you can find some excellent stuff.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

You can pretty much find anything here in socal.

6. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Bolivar Gold Medal Lonsdale 165mm x 16.67mm Box code: SEP 07 Price: 5,40 € / $6.85 USD each Weather: 28 °C, wind E at 5 km/h, 35% humidity Stored at 70% humidity, no dry boxing [​IMG] I've only had these in my humidor for a few weeks but I decided to give one a try. Conditions were perfect and the sun was just about to set over the distant rooftops. This cigar has a fairly veiny wrapper in a dark brown with chocolate highlights and slight oily sheen. The unlit draw was easy without being loose; a good sign. Unlit, it had a pronounced odour of green tea. Never tasted that before. Lighting was easy and the burn was flawless, requiring no touch-ups. First third: Reveals itself to be a medium-to-powerful cigar right away. I’m finding it hard to distinguish between different flavours but the overall effect is pleasant. There are what seem to be woody notes, the taste of something grilled (bread?) and every once in a while a hint of sweetness, as of dried fruit. Second third: All of a sudden, the power kicks up a notch. The sweetness has vanished and it becomes slightly spicy in the nose… maybe notes of pepper? It’s still very hard to tell. That toasted flavour is coming through a bit stronger now but I can’t make out exactly what it is. Nuts, bread, wood? I give up trying. Suddenly, disaster: midway through the cigar it suddenly becomes harsh and bitter. [​IMG] No amount of water between puffs is doing anything to mitigate this. By the time I get to the final third, It’s clearly unpleasant to continue smoking. I’m beginning to feel a nicotine buzz and a disagreeable taste of ammonia or some other acrid chemical is overpowering all else. I leave the last 2-3 inches unsmoked. It seems fairly clear that this cigar is still far from ready. The flavours haven’t had time to resolve and the impurities are still present in the tobacco. It’s fairly disappointing for a vitola that’s already nearly 3 years old. I'll try not to touch these again until 2012 if I can muster the patience. Overall score: Is it fair to give it one? If it had stayed the course plotted near the beginning I think it would have been good, though not great. As it stands now, 5/20. Hopefully that changes with time. For comparison's sake, here's a short review I posted in April of 2009:
    Simon Bolivar Gold Medal: This was recommended to me after I mentioned my fondness for the Belicoso. A very flavourful cigar, but one that unfortunately burns too hot because of its skinniness, which spoils the finish. Otherwise quite nice, but the Belicoso is better for less money.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

NCs with 3 years on it wouldn't have given you those problems. just saying.

8. ama

ama Senior member

You keep your CCs at 70% RH?

Unfortunate you got a bad one. Maybe you'll have better luck tom.

9. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Just ordered a couple of boxes of the new Fonseca Benelux regional, a Hermosos #4 size...same as the Bolivar Simones, another excellent regional from a few years ago. http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/ima...ux_614full.jpg Had a crap draw with my first Monte A today, so lit up an '07 VR Maestros RE Spain and TEB Mar08 RASS which was too loose but superb flavors....

10. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

[​IMG] January 2010... OMFG, WOW. Perfect white ash, flawless construction, got about 3/4 of the way down without ashing once. Great flavor, a little to harsh. 1-3 years these are gonna be SICK. [​IMG] RyJ Petit Julietas, it sucked. bleh. [​IMG] Opus Lonsdale.... fabulosity.

11. Razele

Razele Senior member

Going to put in my order for some good recommendation I've read in this threak Anyone have anything bad to say about www.cigars-now.com? They ship international and re-package stuff, works well for people in Australia.

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

Going to order up some sig ivs, what do you guys think of a 12er of trini robustos?

13. ama

ama Senior member

Going to put in my order for some good recommendation I've read in this threak

Anyone have anything bad to say about www.cigars-now.com?

They ship international and re-package stuff, works well for people in Australia.

The prices seem pretty good over there. Never dealt with them, but if they are willing to try and get you sticks duty free, go for it.

January 2010... OMFG, WOW. Perfect white ash, flawless construction, got about 3/4 of the way down without ashing once. Great flavor, a little to harsh. 1-3 years these are gonna be SICK.

That is a PSD#4, right?

Going to order up some sig ivs, what do you guys think of a 12er of trini robustos?

Do it and report back!

14. Razele

Razele Senior member

Whats your guys advice for a good humidor? Should I just get a desk one and when I start buying sticks to age get a bigger one?

15. ama

ama Senior member

Whats your guys advice for a good humidor? Should I just get a desk one and when I start buying sticks to age get a bigger one?

If you know that you are going to be buying a bigger one soon why waste the money on the smaller one now?