Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I don't like the fact that CI sends their cigars so moist. I have to wait probably a month until my cabaiguans are ready to light. :roma: not cool.

at least my RASS should be coming in within the next week or so.

3. ama

ama Senior member

I don't like the fact that CI sends their cigars so moist. I have to wait probably a month until my cabaiguans are ready to light. :roma: not cool.

at least my RASS should be coming in within the next week or so.

You get moist sticks from CI? Damn, you must be on their good list. Last time I got stuff from them (the Miami and 32 deal) it was dry as hell.

4. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

You've jumped the shark and become a parody of yourself. I like it. Poast moar.

On a side note, did you actually smoke something today?

Nay, I am trying to exercise self-restraint and only smoke on weekends which is not easy given that it has been 30° and sunny every single day this week.

In other news, I had an amusing conversation with my tobacconist yesterday who actually dissuaded me from buying any NCs. [​IMG] It went a bit like this:

"I'm looking to try some NCs but the list of recommendations I was given is at home, can you help me out? All I remember seeing on it is Olivia Serie V."

"Sure, what sort of flavour profile are you looking for?"

"Basically like my favourite Cubans: fairly powerful with cocoa, honey, and mocha flavours."

[Face falls] "Ah, you won't find much of that among NCs. In general they're much less robust, with some nutty and coffee notes. Have you ever smoked any Quai d'Orsay?"

"Yeah, they're weak sauce."

"Yup, that's pretty much what you're getting with NCs."

That, plus the ugly-as-sin, monster-sized bands convinced me and in the end I bought none. Someone send me a gd care package instead.

5. holymadness

[​IMG]
    Cab Maduro at the Cliquot Polo Classic on Govoners Island. Also enjoyed a few Patel Brothers, a 40 Anni Padron, and a very green RP 15 Anni Pre-release.

Was this before or after the cosplay convention?
    Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin is owned by LVMH. I hear that makes it taste even classier.

6. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Well matching the bag and bubbles is a must

7. ama

ama Senior member

Nay, I am trying to exercise self-restraint and only smoke on weekends which is not easy given that it has been 30° and sunny every single day this week.

In other news, I had an amusing conversation with my tobacconist yesterday who actually dissuaded me from buying any NCs. [​IMG] It went a bit like this:

"I'm looking to try some NCs but the list of recommendations I was given is at home, can you help me out? All I remember seeing on it is Olivia Serie V."

"Basically like my favourite Cubans: fairly powerful with cocoa, honey, and mocha flavours."

[Face falls] "Ah, you won't find much of that among NCs. In general they're much less robust, with some nutty and coffee notes. Have you ever smoked any Quai d'Orsay?"

That, plus the ugly-as-sin, monster-sized bands convinced me and in the end I bought none. Someone send me a gd care package instead.

I think you should look for a new tobacconist.

8. jobro

jobro Senior member

What is going to make him more profit, pushing products he can buy in bigger loads or some one-time orders for a few customers.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

Nobody send him cigars.

10. ama

ama Senior member

11. holymadness

I think you should look for a new tobacconist.
    Why? He helps me find what I like. It's not his fault that you can't accept that no one likes NCs.
    What is going to make him more profit, pushing products he can buy in bigger loads or some one-time orders for a few customers.
    Since tobacco prices in France are 100% regulated by the state, he makes the same profit regardless, which means it's impossible that his advice is motivated by pecuniary interests.
    Nobody send him cigars.
    Don't be small-time, persian bro. I know you have enough sticks in that $500 metal monstrosity to help a brother out.

12. ama

ama Senior member

Why? He helps me find what I like. It's not his fault that you can't accept that no one likes NCs.

I don't really care that much that you don't like NCs. What bothers me is that your "tobacconist" thinks that NCs all taste like Quai d'Orsays. That is just plain misguided and dumb. You claim that there is a plethora of NC information and access there, but your actions and posts belie that.

Look, maybe NCs aren't your thing, but coming here and continually bashing them with examples of your narrow mindedness is tiresome. Man up, buy some NCs, and try them. Until then you really aren't on a level playing field around here amongst people who have had tens, if not hundreds of examples of both NCs and CCs.

13. jobro

jobro Senior member

Since tobacco prices in France are 100% regulated by the state, he makes the same profit regardless, which means it's impossible that his advice is motivated by pecuniary interests.
    Wow that is unexpected! List of prices. http://translate.googleusercontent.c...mAeSV311TnAn6g

14. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Cubans are not powerful. I can't remember the last ti me i had a full bodied habano. Maybe a party Lusitania? I remember when boli bf's would knock me on my ass, not so much anymore. Most cubans are light-medium, they just have a lot of bite when they are young because they are not properly aged

It's funny though, you will hear the exact opposite conversation in most shops in the states. Ive been in at least 5 or 6 shops where a guy comes in and asks about cubans. The owner will allays say they are not what they use to be and you can get a better product from the dr or nic.

15. holymadness

I don't really care that much that you don't like NCs. What bothers me is that your "tobacconist" thinks that NCs all taste like Quai d'Orsays. That is just plain misguided and dumb. You claim that there is a plethora of NC information and access there, but your actions and posts belie that. Look, maybe NCs aren't your thing, but coming here and continually bashing them with examples of your narrow mindedness is tiresome. Man up, buy some NCs, and try them. Until then you really aren't on a level playing field around here amongst people who have had tens, if not hundreds of examples of both NCs and CCs.
    I have smoked tens of NCs and with one exception I found them flat, characterless, simplistic and sometimes just plain awful. When your hit-miss ratio is that poor, you have little incentive to go back to the well, especially when a far better (imo) and far cheaper alternative presents itself. To be fair to the guy, I asked him what Cubans NCs most resembled in his opinion and he said Quai d'Orsay, which is painting in broad strokes but the question wasn't exactly precise either. The above was not a verbatim transcript. Anyway, I do not even know how this CC/NC argument started. I only started posting in this thread again to complain about the feebleness of the reviews, fcuncku's photography and jet's douchebagginess. However, you must admit it has become much more entertaining in recent weeks. [​IMG]