Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ama

ama Senior member

[​IMG]

Pete hooked it up with the pre-pre-releases of the L'esprit '08, what an amazing cigar - so smooth, almost velvety, a bit of spice in the nostrils, and a bit of green in the back of the throat. These were rolled with semi-fermented tobacco, hence the green.

Supposedly they are going to be around $20 a cigar too. I'll pass on that.

2. nootje

nootje Senior member

Do you ever buy to invest? I've been thinking about it with certain LEs and HTFs...

to be honest, this was a one time chance.. Due to me being friends with the importer and him having a falling out with prometheus I got the opportunity to buy up all of his remaining stock at bottom price (think aorund 10$ a stick) Given the rarity and year stamp it really was a no brainer. Will let you guys know which retailer gets them when a deal is made.

Im not sure about investing on a regular basis, problem lies with being able to prove that the cigars were stored in a properly humidified eniviroment. With the above I was able to store them in the walk in humidor of his shop, so he would be able to write a certificate when needed. At home, I dont know how one would go about this (unless you have a completely self sufficient system yourself).

as an aside, im running out of stock in my go to cigar, ashton vsg corona gorda and sorcerer. Will need to stock up again, anybody think of something in a similar range Ill try it.

3. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Supposedly they are going to be around $20 a cigar too. I'll pass on that.
    The introductory price for the '08s will start at $16/stick. The idea is to model case futures in the wine industry. I'd buy it at $16 or $20. It was a delightful smoke.
    Im not sure about investing on a regular basis, problem lies with being able to prove that the cigars were stored in a properly humidified eniviroment. With the above I was able to store them in the walk in humidor of his shop, so he would be able to write a certificate when needed. At home, I dont know how one would go about this (unless you have a completely self sufficient system yourself).
    www.twitter.com/myhumidor [​IMG] (undergoing a sensor replacement at the moment)

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

a quick stop to my bm. [​IMG]

5. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Rp had an event in NYC at my local bm to launch his 15 anniversary cigar. They made an exclusive prerelease for the soup and gave it away free with any box purchase. Unfortunatley they were Like 52x7. It be a big cigar. Good stuff though. Construction is a little off, but I'm thinking they need some rest.

6. ama

ama Senior member

Rp had an event in NYC at my local bm to launch his 15 anniversary cigar. They made an exclusive prerelease for the soup and gave it away free with any box purchase. Unfortunatley they were Like 52x7. It be a big cigar. Good stuff though. Construction is a little off, but I'm thinking they need some rest.

Nish was in my shop not to long ago and I tried a prototype blend of the 15. Ehhhh. It was green and all pepper. Tasted like drunk Don Pepin snuck into the RP factory and threw pepper all over the place.

7. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Tasted like drunk Don Pepin snuck into the RP factory and threw pepper all over the place.

I visualized this and laughed. hard. Thanks.

8. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Yeah, i even told rocky that. I said it's very pepinish, he took it as a compliment. They were pretty well balanced, but can defiantly improve

9. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Had this yesterday late afternoon. Hopefully I can light up an Oliver V when I get from work. Thanks for the recommendation ama. I never got the chance to try out a tat.
    [​IMG]

Is this a Casa Magna Toro? If so, it is literally the worst cigar in the world. Like smoking a used coffee filter wrapped in tree bark.

I (unfortunately) have one or two kicking around that I bought as part of a collection from someone who quit smoking. If any of you are in Paris, I will pay you €5 for each one that you smoke in front of me. Matches will be provided free of charge.

In more serious news: I have acquired the habit of cutting the tips of my cigars a few days before smoking them. I find it has completely resolved any issues I ever had with plugs -- by relaxing the tension on the leaves, I think. I'm now considering just cutting the tips of all my cigars as soon as I buy them. Any thoughts from the unwashed masses?

10. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Naw..it was the robusto. It was okay, I'd definitely give it a shot.

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

first time i agree with you on casa magna. they couple i've had were not enjoyable at all. i can't remember which once they were. i threw them both away before the midway point.

I don't think i've ever had the problems you are having with plugged cigars. sure i get one or two every once in a while, but you seem to encounter them often. is it possible that you are over-humidifying your cigars?

12. holymadness

Entirely possible, though less so these days as I finally sprung for some HF 65% tubes. But as my hygrometer is broken, I have no way of knowing for sure -- alas. I suspect you may be right, as I long suffered a crippling fear of having overly dry cigars and so disliked them dropping below 75%.

The trick about cutting the tips and then replacing in the humidor for a few days came from dpatsil, whose expertise in cigar-smoking I've only truly come to appreciate after a year and a half of pursuing the hobby. Nary a month goes by that I don't stop to reflect that some really excellent technique/cigar choice/opinion came to me via his posts here.

13. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i'd peg it on the humidity. 75%+ is way too much. even if you have had the beads for a month, i'd still think that the cigars are over-humidified. probably why some of your cigars taste acidic too.

14. ama

ama Senior member

In more serious news: I have acquired the habit of cutting the tips of my cigars a few days before smoking them. I find it has completely resolved any issues I ever had with plugs -- by relaxing the tension on the leaves, I think. I'm now considering just cutting the tips of all my cigars as soon as I buy them. Any thoughts from the unwashed masses?

I think that is a terrible idea. They will all start tasting alike as the air will be free to flow through each of them free of pesky restrictions like caps. One or two days is fine, but long term seems like a bad move.

15. holymadness

Questions:

1. Isn't it inevitable that your cigars will, to a limited extent, transfer their flavours to one another when storing them together? Isn't that why people sometimes dedicate different drawers or even different humidors to cubans and non-cubans, or to strong and mild vitolas? Isn't this mixing also considered desirable by some aficionados?

2. I am not sure that air 'flows' in a humidor. It certainly circulates a bit, but the extent to which this would allow flavour transfer in a cut vs. an uncut cigar seems exaggerrated to me.

Note I have never tried this in the long term so I have no objective, concrete data.