Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Shit. Forgot liga privada t52s in that list too.

Remeber though, ama, all of those are inferior in holy's eyes.

2. ama

ama Senior member

Shit. Forgot liga privada t52s in that list too.

Remeber though, ama, all of those are inferior in holy's eyes.

He doesn't even see the NC posts, don't worry.

3. ama

ama Senior member

Took a half day today and smoked a couple cigars from B. One I liked, one I can see being appealing, but did not suit me.

First up: 601 Maduro
    [​IMG]

What I liked: The construction was top notch. Very nice box press, slow even burn packed densely. It produced tons of smoke, which I always enjoy.

What I didn't: The flavors didn't really develop. There was a little spice, but mostly a bitterish chocolate taste. The finish was also pretty short and shaded more towards bitter than sweet.

Overall: I definitely see the appeal here. This cigar lasted a lot longer than I thought it would, ~90 mins, and was easy to smoke. But, I think it was too easy, the flavors never changed and I kinda of lost interest halfway through. I may smoke it again, but not at retail price.

Second: La Flor Dominicana L200 Oscuro
    (forgot to take pic so automatically this is disqualified as a review)

More my speed. Spice, but in different forms. First, an attack of pepper upon lighting. Second, as the cigar progressed and got more earth and rich the spice integrated into more of a tongue tingling variety. Lastly, as the cigar neared the end it almost completely blended into the background and peeked out intermittently. It was fun trying to follow it.

tags: underpants, not reviews, NCs, low class, purposeless

4. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I was wondering, and this question might be for DT, but I'll ask anyways:

How do you discern different "notes" in a cigar? I get the idea of general tastes, and spice & pepper and what-have-you, but how do you taste leather & dirt, etc. Is it just that my palate isn't nearly good enough to determine such tastes, or is it something you have to learn by licking leather and eating dirt? I just never figured out how to learn how to pinpoint (that's the word I was looking for) the differing tastes on a cigar.

Tomorrow, I should be going up to my apartment at school to take delivery of a humidor I had ordered, and probably season it too while i'm there. Hopefully it will be a good day to partake in a smoke. I've been feeling lighter smokes since the weather got hotter, so we'll see as to what I choose. Most of what's in my humidor is heavier, fuller-bodied cigars, so hopefully I can find something that will work.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

at first i was in the same boat as you. everything just tasted like "cigar" to me.

wanting to understand cigars more, i read a lot of reviews, whether it was from blogs, cigar forums, etc. as I was smoking a particular cigar trying to detect the flavor a person was describing. Sometimes you get conflicting opinions, but that's probably because everyone's taste and smell is wired a bit different.

6. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

You know it's bad when you forget that you have a box of these......Great $3 cigar. Might be my favorite 5 Vegas blend.
    [​IMG]

7. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

i always thought the A was your favorite blend

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

it's real close. both are great. i'm sitting on some of the AAAs that i want to try real soon but going to let them sit knowing CIs track record with humidification.

9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

last of my original 5 pack. half a box resting peacefully for a month or two.

[​IMG]

10. ama

ama Senior member

[​IMG]

RX Maduro mmmm....

11. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

I met Pete Johnson last night in San Francisco. What a great guy. At the 3 hour event we talked shop for 1.5 hours easy and he gave me a pre-pre-release of the L'esprit. That is going to be something special!

12. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Smoked for the first time in a week. Had a trinidad toro natural, on recommendation of the store employee. Also a La Traviata. Was feeling mild today. Pretty good day. Wish they had cabaiguans, but they sold out :-(

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

Smoked a nov 09 psd4, still dry from transit and unusually dark.

14. nootje

nootje Senior member

There's a good chance that a retailer in NY will buy up my remaining stock of GOF 2004,2005. [​IMG]

That and I've bought the LFD culebras, allways wanted to have some culebras in the humi.

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I met Pete Johnson last night in San Francisco. What a great guy. At the 3 hour event we talked shop for 1.5 hours easy and he gave me a pre-pre-release of the L'esprit. That is going to be something special!

Cool. I usually never have time to go to cigar events at my local B&M, but the two I have made time to go to were when Pete Johnson was in town, and another, when Don Pepin brought one of his rollers on the road. It's an interesting experience to meet the people behind the brands. Must be amazing to have a career in something a person really actually loves to do. Not that I don't enjoy what I do but fuck it, if I could make a good living in one of my hobbies, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.