1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Having a Vegas robaina famoso. These are so delicious right now.

2. jet

jet Senior member

my tastes have been going away from large rings. i have a handful of cigars 54+ ring that probably won't get touched. i also really want to explore the CC world more and more. Not that I don't like NCs, i love them, but just that I've explored that area a lot and want to try new (to me) things. I've pretty much cut off buying any NC outside of certain cigars that are extremely hard to find, which ama knows all too well.

I don't normally smoke anything bigger than a robusto, I remember you saying you didn't like the small gauge of lanceros which I happen to love.

3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

my tastes have been going away from large rings. i have a handful of cigars 54+ ring that probably won't get touched. i also really want to explore the CC world more and more. Not that I don't like NCs, i love them, but just that I've explored that area a lot and want to try new (to me) things. I've pretty much cut off buying any NC outside of certain cigars that are extremely hard to find, which ama knows all too well.
    actually, i've been trying to move away from large ring gauges myself as well. I've been enjoying picking up new lanceros and such when I go to a b&m nearby that has them. I've even been trying to get smokes under 50 RG... my box of cabaiguan corona extras have been seeing a lot of activity recently lol. I did like the DPG blue label lancero a couple weeks ago, and started the summer off with a Nestor Miranda SS Lancero that I was gifted.

4. ama

ama Senior member

Corona gorda, robusto (50 RG or less) and lancero are my favorite vitolas. I never understood the fascination with big RGs, they aren't comfortable to smoke.

5. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Corona gorda, robusto (50 RG or less) and lancero are my favorite vitolas. I never understood the fascination with big RGs, they aren't comfortable to smoke.

People think it looks cool, probably because they see big rgs in movies and tv shows.

6. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

agreed..I'm a huge corona gorda fan.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I don't normally smoke anything bigger than a robusto, I remember you saying you didn't like the small gauge of lanceros which I happen to love.

the original blend ET changed my mind completely. that being said, they still aren't really my favorite. they are something i'll enjoy at home. can't imagine traveling with some. seem too delicate for that.

8. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Had a CAO La Traviata today, pretty good value.

9. Krish the Fish

Had my first taste of forbidden fruit today: Fonseca No. 1 (Jan 09).. been sitting in my humidor for ~5 weeks now, and felt that right now would be a good time to smoke one.

Burn issues were present, corrected a couple times. Also, let it sit while I did some laundry, and after a couple minutes had to relight... twice; rolled rather tightly, but not so much that I couldn't smoke through it without a second cut; draw was firm but not too wispy (like the Cain maduro I had earlier in the weekend). This might be from the humidor though, will look into it (I have 60% beads in there, but it constantly stays at 65%...)

Was a milder smoke, which is what I was in the mood for. Good flavor, with a bit of earth to it and spice on the end. I think it was a great smoke for the price (~$4 a stick at the time I bought it), and will definitely come back to them in a couple months to see how they're doing. Definitely recommendable, though the burn issues were a slight drawback. I think if you haven't had any Fonsecas & are looking for a mild CC at a good price, this is a good place to start. It was for me, anyhow. YMMV.

10. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

At that price get some Monte 4s. I'm not a big fonseca fan, they're a little bland for my raste.

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i need more MC4s. have about 5 left from an 08 box. they are absolutely fantastic right now.

12. ama

ama Senior member

Try dry boxing them too. What RH is your humi at?

Had my first taste of forbidden fruit today: Fonseca No. 1 (Jan 09).. been sitting in my humidor for ~5 weeks now, and felt that right now would be a good time to smoke one.

Burn issues were present, corrected a couple times. Also, let it sit while I did some laundry, and after a couple minutes had to relight... twice; rolled rather tightly, but not so much that I couldn't smoke through it without a second cut; draw was firm but not too wispy (like the Cain maduro I had earlier in the weekend). This might be from the humidor though, will look into it (I have 60% beads in there, but it constantly stays at 65%...)

Was a milder smoke, which is what I was in the mood for. Good flavor, with a bit of earth to it and spice on the end. I think it was a great smoke for the price (~$4 a stick at the time I bought it), and will definitely come back to them in a couple months to see how they're doing. Definitely recommendable, though the burn issues were a slight drawback. I think if you haven't had any Fonsecas & are looking for a mild CC at a good price, this is a good place to start. It was for me, anyhow. YMMV.

13. Krish the Fish

Try dry boxing them too. What RH is your humi at?

it's at 65% now, but with 60% beads. I probably should dry box them, but I'm never sure if I'm going to end up smoking something later. I'll try the drybox & see if it gets better.

14. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Everyone needs to get their paws on these while they can. Excellent flavors to start. Some pepper, leather and coffee to open. Pepper dies out but the leather/coffee blend stays about half way in. Hints of cinnamon and dark cocoa become present. These flavors remain for the rest of the cigar. Big amounts of smoke, perfect draw/burn throughout. Overall, extremely well balanced, not overpowering at all. The change from a full bodied cigar to a more medium bodied really is to my liking. If you can find them, buy some up. Viaje Double Edged Sword [​IMG]

15. ama

ama Senior member

[​IMG]

Maduro does wonders for this cigar. Cuts out a lot of that mustiness that I find very distracting. I'm a big fan.

16. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Sat out by the hotel firepit last night and smoked a Gurkha Evil Torpedo. I love the robusto, but the first 1/3 of the Torpedo was simply, meh. The last 2/3 though was fantastic, smoked this one to the nub. It has the earthiness that is pretty common to the Gurkha line, but a pretty medium body as well.

17. dpatsil

dpatsil Senior member

So some of you guys are now preferring the smaller ring gauges, huh? Horsecock's don't taste so good anymore, no? Ah, the education continues. Keep smoking. I can't wait to hear what other discoveries you'll trip across.

18. jet

jet Senior member

19. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Serious question.

what are some of your favorite cigar blogs? what do you like about them? what do you dislike about? with any blog, what characteristics do you like or want to see? I assume interface is huge. good writing (would definitely need to work on that) is another.

a few of us over cigars and eagle rare 17 started brainstorming some ideas.

20. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I enjoy reading stogie review (all seem like cool guys, and enjoy reading their articles) and cigarguide (he review CC and NC). I also like watching FriendsofHabanos videos review.