Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I did. Custom built. Seasoning it now. Need more storage as well and the cooler was getting to low class for me.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

Oh nice, post some pics. I should take pics of my modest ones too.

3. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

So i bought an edgestar 28 from an online distributor. Free shipping + $0 taxes and with a couple coupon codes put it just under $200, not bad figuring they are $260 + tax here. I bought another pound of heartfelt humidity beads, which i highly recommend. And I am buying these shelves and drawers from this guy. I haven't fully finalized my order yet, but i'm thinking of 3 double trays and 2 shelves. Chasidor Just a little preview of what he can do. [​IMG] The cooler temperature control maxes out at 61F, which is probably fine. My cooler sits between 60-63 in my basement with no ill effects. I will have 1.5lbs of beads spread throughout the fridge, 1lb. on the bottom and .5 at the top. I might add little tubes of beads in the drawers if it's a problem. There are two mods i might make if the humidity and temperature are giving me problems. one is adding a computer fan and the other is buying a thermostat override which can be found online. they are quite popular in the home beer brewing hobby in keeping a fridge at a certain temperature.

4. jerms24k

jerms24k Senior member

So i bought an edgestar 28 from an online distributor. Free shipping + $0 taxes and with a couple coupon codes put it just under $200, not bad figuring they are $260 + tax here.

I bought another pound of heartfelt humidity beads, which i highly recommend.

And I am buying these shelves and drawers from this guy. I haven't fully finalized my order yet, but i'm thinking of 3 double trays and 2 shelves. Chasidor

Just a little preview of what he can do.
    [​IMG]

The cooler temperature control maxes out at 61F, which is probably fine. My cooler sits between 60-63 in my basement with no ill effects. I will have 1.5lbs of beads spread throughout the fridge, 1lb. on the bottom and .5 at the top. I might add little tubes of beads in the drawers if it's a problem.
    There are two mods i might make if the humidity and temperature are giving me problems. one is adding a computer fan and the other is buying a thermostat override which can be found online. they are quite popular in the home beer brewing hobby in keeping a fridge at a certain temperature.

In my experience you should be fine without having to fiddle too much with it. Basically it's just a sealed box, so humidity will spread itself without having to put too much thought into it. There might be a variance of a percentage point or so from top to bottom, but nothing significant. 61 degrees is fine, especially if you plan to age stuff for longer periods of time. You'll only realize appreciable differences once you get well below 60. The drawers will also mediate humidity so you shouldn't really need anything inside the drawers because would is a permeable medium.

I used to have a wine cooler as a humidor, but then realized that it was not enough space, so I sold it and got a couple coolers. Much simpler and in my basement I don't need the temp control anyways.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Had another Patel Brothers robusto last night. Fantastic, and a good diplomat for the amazing consistency of this cigar. I smoke about 2 or 3 of these a week, so it's clearly one of my favorites. Night before, picked up an Illusione No. 2 at a local B&M (am travelling this week) and it was HORRID. Wrapper came apart half way in, and the thing was acrid and didn't draw. Surely a humidification problem, but sucks when you pay almost 10 bucks for a smoke and that's the result.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ama

ama Senior member

Had another Patel Brothers robusto last night. Fantastic, and a good diplomat for the amazing consistency of this cigar. I smoke about 2 or 3 of these a week, so it's clearly one of my favorites. Night before, picked up an Illusione No. 2 at a local B&M (am travelling this week) and it was HORRID. Wrapper came apart half way in, and the thing was acrid and didn't draw. Surely a humidification problem, but sucks when you pay almost 10 bucks for a smoke and that's the result.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sucks... I find that most B&Ms over humidify cigars.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i had a patel brothers the other night as well and it is a fantastic cigar.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

I never smoke them fresh from the B&M, at least give them a few days to normalize in the humidor.

9. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Just had a Punch DC and Mag46 out in the sun, fantastic weather today in Boston.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Oliva v maduro 2009. Solid. I love the V line. I prefer the maduro over the regular V but they are also more expensive

12. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

[​IMG] VERY unimpressed with this cigar. I had a guy at a BM I use to go to recomend it. It is bigger than I usually smoke, so it was a little uncomfertable. The draw was HORRIBLE. For a cigar this big (54) I have never had such poor draw. The blend was alright, a little too spicy, not too well balanced.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

J, what do you think of my staple the l400 single ligero oscuro?

14. ama

ama Senior member

VERY unimpressed with this cigar. I had a guy at a BM I use to go to recomend it. It is bigger than I usually smoke, so it was a little uncomfertable. The draw was HORRIBLE. For a cigar this big (54) I have never had such poor draw. The blend was alright, a little too spicy, not too well balanced.

You didn't happen to used to go to the Davidoff on Madison did you? I recall one of the guys in there automatically recommending the newest sticks, regardless of how shitty they ended up being. I found the guys on 59th to be much more knowledgeable.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

pics of my new humidor. it is made of Wenge wood. It's darker in real life. My shitty camera and artificial light do not do this justice. its 14 x 12 x 10". If any of you guys are interested in buying one the guy's name is Ed and his website is here. He does some amazing work and can pretty much do anything you ask. he posts all his completed humidors on this forum here . In total, with shipping, this cost me $260. Wenge commanded a bit of a premium, but it was worth it. for reference, i have a false bottom in mine to hide my hygrometer and humidity beads. i can access the beads still to re-humidify when needed. Fcuknu, he is doing an all maccassar one now. too bad i am a cheap ass. what's inside. 2 boxes of PSD4s 12 RASS 13 Upmann 50 1 Box of Illusione 2s and about 20 other sticks with room to put about 20 or so more [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]