Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jet

jet Persian Bro

Smoked the 5vegas cask tonight (sup fcuknu) and while it started off promising it turned real bland and tasted like I was smoking ash. Couldn't take it after about a half to two thirds no matter how hard I tried and put it out of its misery. To be fair I just received them and they were tightly wrapped in their cellophane 5 pack so perhaps some box time is in order.

On the other hand the punch rothschild maduro I smoked last night was superb and at three dollars a stick from CI one of the best bang for the bucks out there more so than padrons imho. I think it's time I bought a box of these.

2. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Jet those Punches I smoked a ton of when I was first getting into cigars. Had great flavor.

Speaking of, had a '98 Punch Churchill tube last night right off the mail truck. Was very good.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

Ya man I recommend them to everyone and you can pass them out like candy, a great beater stick when you just want a smoke.

Now that I got this humi situation straightened with the lifetime supply of oasis, the pg solution will hopefully keep it mold free and rock solid as has been at 68% past couple of days. Looking forward to an upmann this weekend, or maybe the epi 2 we'll see.

Ordered a 60% hf bead tube for my 10 stick dunhill travel humi when it comes so I can in a way dry box some sticks when I pull them out for my weekend excursions.

4. ama

ama Senior member

Ya man I recommend them to everyone and you can pass them out like candy, a great beater stick when you just want a smoke. Now that I got this humi situation straightened with the lifetime supply of oasis, the pg solution will hopefully keep it mold free and rock solid as has been at 68% past couple of days. Looking forward to an upmann this weekend, or maybe the epi 2 we'll see. Ordered a 60% hf bead tube for my 10 stick dunhill travel humi when it comes so I can in a way dry box some sticks when I pull them out for my weekend excursions.
    60% seems pretty low, why didn't you go 65%?

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Because they're only going to be in there for a day, two max wherever I go. If they go unsmoked by sunday night I'll drop them back in the desktop. Normally I carry them in my pocket and since there is no humidity here on the west coast they dry out pretty quick. I happen to really enjoy them once they've been out of the desktop for the whole day so that is my reasoning for the low rh for the travel humi. I probably should have gotten a 65 to experiment as well huh, we'll see.

6. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

7. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

^^ Did you like the 1932? Not your first IIRC..

On the RH, I find anything much above 65% to be a little too much for me, and my target is between 60% and 65%. Of course, this is a personal thing, but I think everyone's tastes will vary.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Agreed, but I like higher rh like 68-70 for storage.

Because they're only going to be in there for a day, two max wherever I go. If they go unsmoked by sunday night I'll drop them back in the desktop. Normally I carry them in my pocket and since there is no humidity here on the west coast they dry out pretty quick. I happen to really enjoy them once they've been out of the desktop for the whole day so that is my reasoning for the low rh for the travel humi. I probably should have gotten a 65 to experiment as well huh, we'll see.

I changed it to the 65 for the travel one, reason being what if I don't feel like unloading the cigars every sunday night. I can just keep them in there as long as I want this way, good lookin out ama.

9. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

^^ Did you like the 1932? Not your first IIRC..

On the RH, I find anything much above 65% to be a little too much for me, and my target is between 60% and 65%. Of course, this is a personal thing, but I think everyone's tastes will vary.

Yeah, the 32 is a solid cigar, especially for what I paid for them.

Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, anything from 50-65 for short term is fine. Id like to keep it dead on 65, but Im lazy. Im not so OCD about my desktop because I know cigars in there will be smoked relatively soon. In my humifridge, sure, constant consistent humidification is a must.

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

What are you bringing with you this month? You see my hotel recs?

11. ama

ama Senior member

Yeah, the 32 is a solid cigar, especially for what I paid for them.

Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, anything from 50-65 for short term is fine. Id like to keep it dead on 65, but Im lazy. Im not so OCD about my desktop because I know cigars in there will be smoked relatively soon. In my humifridge, sure, constant consistent humidification is a must.

I like to keep mine around 65%, but I too am lazy. To combat that I just bought significantly more beads than I need. Seems to be working.

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

^hey you see my post, changed it just because of you buddy

13. ama

ama Senior member

^hey you see my post, changed it just because of you buddy
    Oh sweet, thanks for the shout out. I think that will work better for your travel humi. Cause you figure you'll lose a few percentages because of the seal, leakage, etc., so you'll probably be around your 60% anyways. You have a link to the travel humi you are getting? I use one of those otterboxes, its nothing special but it works.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

15. ama

ama Senior member

Wow, that looks beautiful. Put up some pics when you get it.