1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

This thread piqued my interest since I hadn't had anything above the level of grape flavored Whiteowls from a gas station. Picked up a Padron 1964 and was blown away...I think I'm hooked. I hate you all for enabling me.

You're welcome.

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

A bit of a cross-post, but I smoked a R&J Romeo No 2 over the weekend accompanied by several fingers of Woodford: [​IMG] It's a very basic entry cigar and while it's nothing spectacular its consistency is what makes me look for it first. Very easy draw, only needs to be relit once or twice at the most, and extremely affordable. Compared to the H. Upmann's and Hoyo de M's typically found down here, R&J tends to stand out. While sometimes hard to find, I feel Punch offers the best taste/quality for the price. I just wish there was an actual, honest-to-God cigar shop here in CR.

3. jordy55

jordy55 Member

4. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

VR Famoso today -- phenominal robusto. Reminded me of a CoRo, surprisingly. Tremendous value if you find ones that are "on."

5. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

From what you've described, this is a blind tasting against a list.

If so, it probably won't include cigars where few are produced in a given size (i.e. a pigtailed fundadore). With a Robusto or Corona Gorda the list of cigars to choose from can be a lot longer than with a fundadore or Robusto Extra, for example.

It's hard to pin down specific cigars by someone else's description. Indeed, it's hard to pin down a cigar in a blind tasting with your own knowledge given box-to-box variation, but here's some feedback -- integrated into the post below.

there's a cigar smoking contest this coming thursday at cohiba atmosphere in HK if anyone's interested...2 rounds, 1st round on thurs 2nd round is 2 weeks later i think. winner gets a humidor worth $56,000 with cigars in it (im guessing around 100). 9 cigars, 3 of each vitola, gotta guess what they are and youll be given a list to match to.

if not, someone help me out by schooling me on the general flavor profiles of these cigars i havent smoked in a while (you have to study for exams, right? this is no different)

PSD 4:
    = spice and complexity, big 'tobacco' flavors, typicallyl "bigger" flavors than most other robustos, potential to be "in your face" (unmelded flavors) if young, but not always.

Cohiba Robusto:
    = charactaristic Cohiba 'grassy' profile, some creaminess, rich.

Vegas Robaina Unico:
    = wet earth, muted coco tones, sweetness, tobacco.

Bolivar Corona Gigantes:
    = on the milder scale for a Bolivar, less chocolate than a RAG, more leather and dry spice.

Trinidad Fundadores:
    = very distinct profile, you'll know it blind if it's a Fundidore

Hoyo de Monterrey epicure no. 2:
    = lighter, creamier (though recent production have had some spice and kick)

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

VR Famoso today -- phenominal robusto. Reminded me of a CoRo, surprisingly. Tremendous value if you find ones that are "on."

One of my favorites. I've got one that I'm waiting to smoke.

7. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

thanks girardian

the list was given in advance...i took a peek last sunday and i don't think i stand a chance. the contest's tomorrow, i'll go in anyway for $200 and the ability to smoke that many cigars why not

there's stuff like juan lopez no.1, some other cigars i don't remember but definitely stuff i have not smoked in a while. oh well too late to study now.

8. curtis mayhem

curtis mayhem New Member

I am mostly a lurker in the food and drink forum but I reactivated my account to post in this topic. Going by recommendations in this thread I picked up a Punch London Club and a Punch Champion yesterday to go with two La Aurora coronas I bought last week. I looked for a Padron 2000 or 3000 also based on recommendations but they are very expensive here. The gentlemen who runs the cigar shop near me recommended both the Punches and said he personally smokes the London Clubs so I decided to give them a shot. I'm pretty new to cigar smoking but find it very enjoyable.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

A bit of a cross-post, but I smoked a R&J Romeo No 2 over the weekend accompanied by several fingers of Woodford:
    [​IMG]

It's a very basic entry cigar and while it's nothing spectacular its consistency is what makes me look for it first. Very easy draw, only needs to be relit once or twice at the most, and extremely affordable. Compared to the H. Upmann's and Hoyo de M's typically found down here, R&J tends to stand out. While sometimes hard to find, I feel Punch offers the best taste/quality for the price. I just wish there was an actual, honest-to-God cigar shop here in CR.

whodini, you look like you have a very nice life.

I will be in Managua and Caracas in the next few weeks, I am hoping that I will be able to buy some very serious cigars - nicaraguan and cuban.

10. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

So the cigar smoking contest went down tonight, just got home not long ago...I ended up 2nd place, won a box of Hoyo Epi #2's...which I would've preferred over the top prize, a box of Monte #2's (smoked one tonight and it was shite just as expected). Now I qualify onto the final round on the 26th where i get a shot at winning a $56,000 humidor!

11. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

Fade:

Congrats! That's pretty cool. Good luck on winning the grand prize.

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Holy shit, that's fantastic! Good luck.

Smoked an Oliva V tonight. Really starting to grow on me.

Picking up a box of RP Decades this weekend from my local shop. Psyched.

13. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Congrats.

Trinidad Fundadores are the shit.

14. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

I was very pleasantly surprised by The Griffin's Piramide Maduro.

The first Griffin's I smoked was a Conneticut shade. Well constructed but bland and uninspiring, a glorified Macanudo. The Maduro, while not particularly complex, was very rich and had a distinct taste of bittersweet chocolate.

15. Hazad

Hazad Senior member

I'm currently waiting on some CAO brazilias and italias to arrive. I've been migrating into darker cigars as of late and I think these should be a nice treat.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I'm currently waiting on some CAO brazilias and italias to arrive. I've been migrating into darker cigars as of late and I think these should be a nice treat.

Let the Brazilia rest for a month or so. They get reeaaalllyyy nice after a while. I haven't had an Italia, but I'm hoping to soon. The Brazilias are great.

17. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

had a very nice monticristo 2 yesterday, in a garden of a resteraunt in soa paulo.

18. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Let the Brazilia rest for a month or so. They get reeaaalllyyy nice after a while. I haven't had an Italia, but I'm hoping to soon. The Brazilias are great.

+1 on letting them rest. I always let a cigar rest for about a month after i get them. i recieved a box as a gift back in october 2007 and have had one a month since then and they get better as time goes on.

try the italia equivalent to the Brazilia Gol (too lazy to look up the name). it is great.

19. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

I'll have to give that a try. The one time I had a Brazilia, I smoked it the same day it was bought. I thought it was a solid cigar, but just very straight forward and simple. I like a lot of complexity in a smoke.

Right now I've got some Benchmades as my every-days. They're blended by Don Pepin for Ashton. Great for the price.

20. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

Oh, and on the topic of CAO, what does everyone think of the CAO America? I've got one aging in my humidor right now.