Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

just smoked a Cohiba Siglo VI...burned very well but didn't taste as good, one of my more disappointing experiences with this typically fantastic smoke (IMO the best cigar coming out of Cuba right now). i'm assuming it is due to being in its sick period perhaps...don't remember the date of the box as i've shoved them in my humidor but i'm pretty sure it's 07. The last time i smoked one about a month ago it was fine...

2. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

I just ordered boxes of Bolivar Gold Medals and Montecristo Petit Edmundos. [​IMG]

3. Fade to Black

ive heard the reissued version of the Gold Medals are a disappointing smoke - esp considering theyre so expensive. precisely the reason why i havent even tried one to this day. let me know how they are though

4. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

IMO Gold Medals are too young now. i've finished one and I think GMs will age pretty well. After all 56e/10cigars is not bad price.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

[​IMG]

Smoked the Partagas on the top left today. Very disappointed.

6. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

I'm no connoisseur but I'll offer my opinion:

Ashton Monarch - for me, the best cigar, mellow & creamy.

7. Fade to Black

that Partagas - it's a Lusi? The store manager told me they haven't been so hot as of late if it's a recent one.

I find Punch DC to be the most consistent, but obviously not on the same end of the spectrum as the Lusi in terms of body.

8. Fade to Black

smokin a Cuaba Generoso right now on a Sunday afternoon feeling bored as fuck...a bit hungover as well actually

9. Fade to Black

my god that cigar was terrible. this whole box has been shite come to think of it [​IMG]

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

my god that cigar was terrible. this whole box has been shite come to think of it [​IMG]

We have that experience in common this weekend. The only bright spot has been the Don Pepin's. Very nice, amazing price.

Partagas was a Series D No. 4, the robusto that was sitting in there horizontally.

11. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Give them a couple of years. Cuabas come into their own with at least 2 years, but more like 5 years of age.

12. Fade to Black

i will sometimes look out for boxes of cigars from a few years back so i don't have to wait for the aging process...i think with all Cubans 3 years is the point where a smoke really becomes "good" anything under that are usually just my daily smokes that i dont' expect much out of.

i was once talking to a very well versed cigar connoisseur who told me a beautiful quote on cigars, something along the lines of "A 3 year cigar is passable. A 5 year cigar is decent. A 10 year cigar is a good companion."

sadly this quote does not apply for the jar of millenium monte robustos i have lying around...been smoking from this on and off for the past 2 years, like one every few months and the best was when i first got it. last time was last week and wasn't so hot. have heard similar things from others who smoked it, i think it may be past its prime.

the best cigar i have smoked in recent memory was about 2 weekends ago, it was an H. Upmann Connoisseur #1 from 2001...it was everything i like to see in an aged smoke, full of body and character but mellowed with age.

13. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

This is especially true if you are a full bodied smoker. There are no true full bodied smokes coming outa cuba nowadays. In my opinion Bolivar has the most "twang" to it, but it is medium bodied at best (according to my pallet). Young cubans are a whole lot more "harsh" than a beautifully aged one.

14. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

Just picked up Flor Dominicana Ligero Toros w/natural wrapper, CAO Camaroon Anniversario Rothschilds, and Cabiguan torpedo. Flying to Natchitoches, LA (Shreveport actually, then driving to Natchitoches) on Wednesday for work and needed some good smoke.

15. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Lately, I've tried a couple of the Dominican Dunhill Petit coronas and really like them. Great for a 15-minute smoke.

I have cut back on my smoking now that I know what I like and am smoking mostly just on weekends.