1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

my god that cigar was terrible. this whole box has been shite come to think of it [​IMG]

Give them a couple of years. Cuabas come into their own with at least 2 years, but more like 5 years of age.

2. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

i will sometimes look out for boxes of cigars from a few years back so i don't have to wait for the aging process...i think with all Cubans 3 years is the point where a smoke really becomes "good" anything under that are usually just my daily smokes that i dont' expect much out of.

i was once talking to a very well versed cigar connoisseur who told me a beautiful quote on cigars, something along the lines of "A 3 year cigar is passable. A 5 year cigar is decent. A 10 year cigar is a good companion."

sadly this quote does not apply for the jar of millenium monte robustos i have lying around...been smoking from this on and off for the past 2 years, like one every few months and the best was when i first got it. last time was last week and wasn't so hot. have heard similar things from others who smoked it, i think it may be past its prime.

the best cigar i have smoked in recent memory was about 2 weekends ago, it was an H. Upmann Connoisseur #1 from 2001...it was everything i like to see in an aged smoke, full of body and character but mellowed with age.

3. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

This is especially true if you are a full bodied smoker. There are no true full bodied smokes coming outa cuba nowadays. In my opinion Bolivar has the most "twang" to it, but it is medium bodied at best (according to my pallet). Young cubans are a whole lot more "harsh" than a beautifully aged one.

4. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

Just picked up Flor Dominicana Ligero Toros w/natural wrapper, CAO Camaroon Anniversario Rothschilds, and Cabiguan torpedo. Flying to Natchitoches, LA (Shreveport actually, then driving to Natchitoches) on Wednesday for work and needed some good smoke.

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Lately, I've tried a couple of the Dominican Dunhill Petit coronas and really like them. Great for a 15-minute smoke.

I have cut back on my smoking now that I know what I like and am smoking mostly just on weekends.

6. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Senior member

Had my first Padron 3000 last night and can see why it is so popular. May have to pick up a case to add to the humidor.

7. PShow

PShow Active Member

I have always liked the burn and flavor of the Arturo Fuente Anejo Shark #77 and for a mild smoke the Diamond Crown Robusto #3!

8. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

that Partagas - it's a Lusi? The store manager told me they haven't been so hot as of late if it's a recent one.

I find Punch DC to be the most consistent, but obviously not on the same end of the spectrum as the Lusi in terms of body.

I think it is a Lonsdale. Perhaps Partagas 989. The only explanation to his comment I can offer ; it's a Dominican Partagas that he have smoked, as Cuban one's are as good as ever. Actually Partagas 989 and Lusitania are my fav. cigars. I just never have enough time for either.

9. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

Does anyone have any of the Rocky Patel Decade Torpedos that they would like to sell or can find and do a box split on?

10. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I know for a face davidoff on madison (in nyc) has the robusto, I can check on the torpedos if you would like.

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Romeo No 2, pic taken while driving this morning: [​IMG]

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I think it is a Lonsdale. Perhaps Partagas 989. The only explanation to his comment I can offer ; it's a Dominican Partagas that he have smoked, as Cuban one's are as good as ever. Actually Partagas 989 and Lusitania are my fav. cigars. I just never have enough time for either.

No, as I said above, its a Series D No. 4, and those are not Doms.

Interestingly, I gave the Padron 3000 another chance, and was pleasantly surprised. I think I may have smoked the first too soon after arrival, and without letting it acclimatize after shipping. Not bad at all.

13. Fade to Black

989? I've heard of the 8-9-8 but dont think i have seen the 989...

that long Parta in his humidor looks a lot like the Lusi, didn't see the D4.

On a related note the D4 Reserva is one of the best cigars i have ever smoked, i am afraid to smoke them as they feel so precious. when they hit the 10 year mark i might finish them all off in one go (they were already at 5 yrs when they came out). The Monte 4 reserva is a rip off though. I think they shouldve gone with #2 instead.

14. Nantucket Red

I love the Partagas 8-9-8, and all Partagas generally. Those two cigars in that pic do look like Lusis. I'll have to try a Lusi before long.

Another I want to try is the Punch Super Robusto Asia Pacific Edition. I've been eyeing them for a while but haven't wanted to pay the 3000 yen per stick.

15. Fade to Black

the punch super robusto is a really bad cigar...at the moment anyway. way too young, the ones ive smoked showed no character whatsoever it was practically flavorless. Leads me to assume either 1) it's too young or 2) its too mild for my palate. I'd have to say maybe a bit of both...give it at least another year before you pull the trigger.

However the Ramon Allones Estupendo is a great cigar, a chameleon of a smoke that switches beats on you throughout.

16. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

that long Parta in his humidor looks a lot like the Lusi, didn't see the D4.

The D4 is the robusto, left hand side, sitting horizontally up there in red..

17. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I know for a face davidoff on madison (in nyc) has the robusto, I can check on the torpedos if you would like.

Ya the Robusto you can find ont he net but the Torp recieved 95 points and are very hard to find now.

18. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

The D4 is the robusto, left hand side, sitting horizontally up there in red..

I never liked D-4, completely agree with you. They were spun by m,any sources and individual reviewrs as a nirvana ,but when i tryed them (around 6 years ago) they were very mediocre with funky aftretaste half-way into cigar.

19. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I never liked D-4, completely agree with you. They were spun by m,any sources and individual reviewrs as a nirvana ,but when i tryed them (around 6 years ago) they were very mediocre with funky aftretaste half-way into cigar.

I love the SD4, great medium-full bodied (as far as cubans go) robusto. They are even pretty solid young. They have been much better lately, 2006 being their best year in a while imo.

20. Nantucket Red

Ya the Robusto you can find ont he net but the Torp recieved 95 points and are very hard to find now.

The D4 is just ok but nothing great. I much prefer the P2 and smoke them frequently. They're not hard to find in Tokyo.

Generally, it seems that cigar makers reserve their best tobaccos and rollers for torpedos. The Montecristo #2 is a good example.