Cigars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Nov 30, 2004.

1. stvwrd

stvwrd Senior member

I had a fresh rolled cigar by a Cuban cigar roller from the Partagas cigar factory, using Partagas tobacco, that was just amazing. Smoked one, currently aging the rest of them. At the 1-year mark I'll try another one. Habanos sends out a roller on a tour through Asia usually once a year (last year we got lucky had 'em come through twice). Next one's supposed to come through Seoul next month.

Just like any other cigar, a lot probably has to do with the particular roller and where the tobacco is from.

I have a video I took at the last roller event but it was so dark and noisy that it came out looking terrible so I never put it on YouTube.

2. dpatsil

dpatsil Senior member

I had a fresh rolled cigar by a Cuban cigar roller from the Partagas cigar factory, using Partagas tobacco, that was just amazing. Smoked one, currently aging the rest of them. At the 1-year mark I'll try another one. Habanos sends out a roller on a tour through Asia usually once a year (last year we got lucky had 'em come through twice). Next one's supposed to come through Seoul next month.

Just like any other cigar, a lot probably has to do with the particular roller and where the tobacco is from.

I have a video I took at the last roller event but it was so dark and noisy that it came out looking terrible so I never put it on YouTube.

If Habanos sends Hamlet you have to go and see him. He is freakin' hilarious and could keep you rolling for hours with his stories. His English is excellent and they send him all over the world. He is considered one of the best of the new generation of rollers, on the same level as a La China, Taboada or Cueto.

3. nootje

nootje Senior member

Ive seen it in a couple places before. They tend to suck, but I have had some gems. Freshly rolled cigars don't tend to smoke the best though. I would age them.

+1

and about the rollers from habanos being great fun, yeah they really are.. The one I had a longer conversation with some time ago managed to finish a bottle of rum during the day, working all the way [​IMG]

4. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

So I had a Punch Punch today,I was disappointed. The draw was extremely tight,and it unravelled half way through. I want to try another if I can get my hands on one because I have heard from several people that they are great.It was brought to me from Germany a few months back,maybe it didnt have enough time in the humidor.
    Also,what do you guys think is better: Montecristo #2 or 4?

5. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

The PP is a little too mild for my tastes-.

I defiantly prefer the 2 to the 4 in terms of blend, they tend to have more flavor and pack more of a punch. Some 08 4s Ive had lately have been really good though.

6. stvwrd

stvwrd Senior member

If Habanos sends Hamlet you have to go and see him. He is freakin' hilarious and could keep you rolling for hours with his stories. His English is excellent and they send him all over the world. He is considered one of the best of the new generation of rollers, on the same level as a La China, Taboada or Cueto.

Will do. And I'll definitely be able to remember the name.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

have you guys ever been to a resteraunt or specialty shop where they have someone in house rolling cigars? My roomate's girlfriend works at a cuban resteraunt and tonight she brought me home a bag of 6 cigars, she says there is a guy at her work that rolls them in the resteraunt. Just curious if anyone has found some really great smokes like that?

a wedding i went to once had a cigar roller. they were extremely good for what i expected. not sure the cost on such a thing, but everyone seemed to enjoy them.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Had a cao lx2 pre-release lancero today after work, draw was way too tight but quite tasty.

Nod still goes to the oliva but shit I love me the lancero size.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Had a cao lx2 pre-release lancero today after work, draw was way too tight but quite tasty.

Nod still goes to the oliva but shit I love me the lancero size.

+1

Most of my favorite cigars are lanceros, whether the Miami 8&11, Serie V, Cubao, Pepin BL, Decade, Tempus, Tatuaje, Illusione.. The list goes on and on.. I just find the flavors much more pronounced in the lancero..

10. JordanH.

JordanH. Senior member

almost a year ago, I had a Carlos Torano Signature in a robusto I believe. I had other cigars that seemed good before this, but after this smoke, it seems like it is the one I think about most often. Anybody else like them? It was a maduro or an oscuro, closer to the latter. What do you all think about them?

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

So I had a Punch Punch today,I was disappointed. The draw was extremely tight,and it unravelled half way through. I want to try another if I can get my hands on one because I have heard from several people that they are great.It was brought to me from Germany a few months back,maybe it didnt have enough time in the humidor.
    Also,what do you guys think is better: Montecristo #2 or 4?

I prefer the 2 - pretty much my all time favorite, but the 4 is a very nice smoke, too.

12. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Had another R&J short,what a great cigar. Becoming one of my favorites.
    Has anybody ever had a Cohiba Genios 5 maduro?I always watch the friends of habanos reviews on youtube, and it sounded really good.

13. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

yawn to the Maduro5 series. I wanted to love it, they just didnt do much for me.

14. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

I'm having a Macanudo somerset Gold Label again this evening.
    For those who are Maduro fans I can recommend the new Casa de Torres Maduro Toro, fantastic smoke in my book for the low price (less than 5€).
    Slightly different than the average Maduro one gets, a bit sweet and less spicier than most other Maduros.

15. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

[​IMG] mystery unbanded cigar in the bottom of my humidor... pretty good too.