1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by RamNYC, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

What was it that old Winston Churchill said?

A drink before and a cigarette after are the three greatest things in life.

2. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

Only stupid people can smoke  =

Paying for being ill, how do you call these people?

Is looking stupid, beeing a social clone, having bad gum and teeth classy ?

3. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

(RamNYC @ July 10 2005,05:36) What do people think of smoking cigarettes...I know there will be those of you that flip out for even proosing such a question, but hell, some of us might have other opinions. Â I enjoy Parliament Lights, basically now just socially. Â I don't really smoke during the day, but occasionally I can be caught lighting up. Â To be honest, I think at times smoking can be quite classy.
    Only stupid people can smoke  = Paying for being ill, how do you call these people? Is looking stupid, beeing a social clone, having bad gum and teeth classy ?
    I'm not paying for smoking; or at least not for long-term effects. Right before I get ill, I'm moving to France so that you can support me. Viva la Fumer. Cigarette for Fumer.

4. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

I gave up 4 months ago (smoked 30+ a day for 17 years and found it surprisingly easy to quit, there is a lot of rubbish talked about that, but that is not the issue here)

I am afraid I have turned into the archetypal "ex-smoker" and am now even more obnoxious and self righteous than most born again Christians, and that is saying something.

For the record I used to smoke Benson & Hedges "lung-busters"

I am considering going back onto my pipe for recreational smoking only.

5. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

I don't know what you mean by "social clone." Bad teeth and gums can be avoided by brushing your teeth regularly, and as I said, smoking in moderation. I am not a pack+ a day smoker..there are many days where I have zero. I also run often, play tennis, and golf. I like working out and I also enjoy smoking occasionally..sure it is a vice...sure it can kill....but so can almost everything. Smoking indeed can be attractive..especially when done by a good looking person.

6. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Well-Known Member

Cigarette smoke is disgusting, never mind the health effects. I'm so glad that a citywide smoking ban went into effect here in January.

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Smoking gives you extra cool points. I only smoke when drinking or out partying.

American Spirits Lights. No artifical chemicals, burns twice as long, less harsh, tastes better, a bit more expensive.

8. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

Haha, I like it. During the day though, if you see someone cool smoking, don't you want to light up as well? It's sort of wierd because of the person is, on the other hand, say disgusting looking, I get this repulsive feeling and have no desire to smoke. Talk about being influenced by others.

9. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Ugh...

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

11. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

Never heard of it

12. LabelKing

(LabelKing @ July 10 2005,16:43) Shepherd's Hotel.
    Never heard of it
    It is German with an Oriental taste. Fairly hard to get.

13. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

I don't think smoking is any classier than drinking or eating, and I do all three.

I smoke Players Light Regular, a Canadian brand.

14. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

(RamNYC @ July 10 2005,21:40)
    Shepherd's Hotel.
    Never heard of it
    You can get them in the US?

15. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I tried to smoke only for pleasure but it always turned into a habit. I smoked Dunhill (regular and menthol). Camel wides were always good for road trips. I tried to knock the habit several times and always picked it back up. I have not smoked for about 5 years now and have no craving for it. I stick to coffee. Less cool, perhaps, but now I have fewer colds, and I don't cough as much, and my clothing never stinks like old something shitty. Charvet, Cifonelli, and Corthay don't need the "cool" of smoking.

16. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Sorry, just read this thread, coming in late. Interesting to see the split of opinions.

I used to smoke american spirits, because that's what the cool kids did. Couldn't tell you the last time I smoked a cigarette. Now I either feel like shit, or get a dumb buzz and then feel like shit. I smoke cigars on occasion, pretty much just when they're offered to me. I don't pretend to have a well-developed smoke palate.

My parents both smoked until the late 90s, my father still does. When my younger sibs catch him, you'd think he'd committed treason. They're disgusted. They've even cried. The anti-smoking sentiment in this country is incredibly strong...

I'm split on smoking bans. I dislike smelling like smoke, but I like freedom.

People who occasionally smoke cigarettes usually don't get the cool points.

17. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Sobranie Black Russians.

18. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

How old are your younger siblings? Man, it's like some facistic reflex that the schools and commercials are teaching -- turn on your parents. Yeah, the anti-smoking sentiment is not cool. Smoking, however, is.

19. LabelKing

(LabelKing @ July 10 2005,23:34)
    Shepherd's Hotel.
    Never heard of it

You can get them in the US?
    Yes, at some specialty tobacconists that tend to deal with high end ciagrs, and accessories.

20. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

We have a lot of catching up to do.