Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by RamNYC, Jul 10, 2005.

1. sayaret

sayaret Well-Known Member

since coming to israel i've got the bug of this country's national vice...currently benson & hedges are my poison

2. theber

theber Member

This is a very old thread but i thought I'd bring it up again.

We are currently going through a health crusade in the UK. Smoking is banned in all enclosed public places. It can be difficult to rent a flat if you smoke. Cigarette packs now have pictures of cancerous lungs and babies on ventilators. In Scotland they are considering banning vending machines and displays in shops.

It's getting the same with alcohol. Adverts on TV about not exceeding the recommended amount of units per day. For men that is 3 to 4. Depending on what you drink that is under 2 pints. That would work out at 3 bottles of wine per week being the MAXIMUM a man could drink. Think about it, does 3 bottles of wine in 7 days seem excessive when you take into account weekned parties, nights out etc. You must get yor 5 fruit and veg a day but too much fruit will damage your teeth. Frankly it is getting over the top and ridiculous.

I smoke occassionally and drink but not to excess (often) I know all the associated health risks. I am sick to the back teeth of having it rammed down my throat on a constant basis. If I follow all the rules and advise life could become a lot more dull.

As for people who constantly tell me to stop smoking, if it directly affectsyou, fine, I shall do it elsewhere. If not, sod off and let me live my life you sanctimonious shits.

Sorry for the rant but had to get it off my chest.

3. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I smoke Dunhill Reds. very infrequently though.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I smoke Dunhill Reds. very infrequently though.

I began smoking Dunhill red in the mid 90's on business trips. It became full-time in '99 but then quite in 2004. I took them up again for a month-long trip to Europe in 2005 when you could still smoke indoors in most countries.

I enjoyed every cigarette I ever smoked. I only gave them up because of allergies.

5. aleeboy

aleeboy Senior member

Alcohol, coffee, and coca-cola are all so much better when enjoyed with a cigarette. For me, I can easily have a few smokes at the bar during the weekend and still won't feel like smoking the rest of the week.

The reason I smoke it purely for the taste. Most foods taste better with a cigarette. There's nothing tastier than enjoying some drinks with grilled snacks and a smoke after work. I would have to turn vegan to get off the smokes...

6. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I began smoking Dunhill red in the mid 90's on business trips. It became full-time in '99 but then quite in 2004. I took them up again for a month-long trip to Europe in 2005 when you could still smoke indoors in most countries.

I enjoyed every cigarette I ever smoked. I only gave them up because of allergies.

I was told that they were going to discontinue them due to the cigarette paper used as it doesn't burn a certain way. But I guess they fixed them.

I need to buy a cigarette case again, a slim one that I can fit in my pocket...one of the best things ever.

7. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

I've come to enjoy them on long bike rides.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Dunhill Reds are now $8 a pack in the Fey Area.

9. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Dunhill Reds are now $8 a pack in the Fey Area.

I paid 9-fiddy in Vegas.

10. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Camel Turkish Silvers
    or
    Lucky Strike (unfiltered, or course).

Granted, I live on Tobacco Road.

11. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

I smoke the Nat Sherman Classic.. the brownish box that says "Classic" on the front.

I usually go to the Nat Sherman store to buy my cigs (it is on 42nd near 5th). They give you free samples and let you test out all the cigs in the store. It is kind of a weird experience. Just sit there in the store and start lighting up a selection of cigs.

My favorite cigs are those French ones called Gaulloises. But i havent been able to purchase them here since the honorable Bloomberg came into office. IF anyone knows where I can buy those online, let me know. I dont mind paying some kind of tax or import duty. I also like the Camels in the powder blue box that they sell in Europe.

12. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Well apparently in five minutes a pack of smokes will be taxed a dollar more here.

I roll my own so it doesn't affect me, but I'm still livid about this bullshit.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Though I smoke, I'm not a pack a day person, so I don't mind the tax.

14. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

You are a weak man without principles.

15. PERhodes

PERhodes Active Member

It's an annoyance but it's never going to change in our favor. I'll keep dishing out the money rather than quitting. What can I say, I like to smoke. In Mass. I'm already paying around $7 for a pack of Marlboros; the state tax increase didn't do anything to curb my habit, and neither will a federal tax. I've cut down on my own over the last year and a half from two plus packs a day to half a pack, so I'm still paying far less than I used to.