1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cigarette Lighters.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Sep 24, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

This is the sterling Cartier lighter I used to have: Mine had a monogram on the square part though. [​IMG]

2. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

LK, you seem to be a connoisseur of the lighter.

Personally, I had to give up the seductive pastime through lack of finances; at one point I was getting through two disposables a day.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Smoking is, in fact, one of the most stylish things one can do because it represents the abandonment of base concerns (health, expense, etc.) in favor of purely aesthetic/sensual rewards (the smell and taste, the beautiful complex systems graphed by the wisps of the smoke, and the stimulant rush of nicotine.)

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Smoking is, in fact, one of the most stylish things one can do because it represents the abandonment of base concerns (health, expense, etc.) in favor of purely aesthetic/sensual rewards (the smell and taste, the beautiful complex systems graphed by the wisps of the smoke, and the stimulant rush of nicotine.)
    This is the truth of the matter. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Edward Appleby

[​IMG]

I think becuase he wasn't classicly handsome, nor affectedly posh or cultured, Humphery Bogart was the coolest man in history, in the strictest sense of the word.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think becuase he wasn't classicly handsome, nor affectedly posh or cultured, Humphery Bogart was the coolest man in history, in the strictest sense of the word.
    I've always loved how he had the mannerisms and persona of a fallen idealist, sort of like Chandler's Marlowe. There was also that undercurrent of contempt.

7. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    No, taking all history into consideration and excluding mythical pre-history, Steve McQueen is the coolest man with a cigarette.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

9. Edward Appleby

No, taking all history into consideration and excluding mythical pre-history, Steve McQueen is the coolest man with a cigarette.

McQueen would probably be able to pull broads better than Bogie, but compared to Humphrey Steve comes off a bit fussy.

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Here's a Ronson Whirlwind, with a retractable cover around the wick: [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    McQueen would probably be able to pull broads better than Bogie, but compared to Humphrey Steve comes off a bit fussy.
    How so?

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Here's a sterling table-model Varaflame: [​IMG]

13. casanova

casanova Active Member

Top smoking accessories for me would be a Dunhill Rollagas in black lacquer, or possibly a sterling silver zippo - utilitarian and exclusive...

But the ultimate piece of cigarette lighting paraphenalia simply has to be an enameled matchbox by Faberge. There were a few in a Sotheby's sale a year or so ago. Estimates ran between 300 and 800 GBP, or 600-1600 USD at todays prices. If you'll pay 500 USD for a lighter it's not such a huge premium and the pleasure (and cachet) of owning an original Faberge piece must be immense.

It just cropped up in my mind as I had a new Sotheby's catalogue in my door the other day for a sale that has a few Faberge pieces. Might be worth a look for anybody who really wants to impress...

14. j

j Senior member Admin

Thank you for being one of the few, the proud, to spell 'cachet' correctly.

15. casanova

casanova Active Member

How else could you possibly spell it?

16. j

j Senior member Admin

People try cache and cachÃ[​IMG] all the time.

17. casanova

casanova Active Member

I believe terrorist organisations keep guns in a cache. Usually in a ditch or abandoned outbuilding. I hope nobody would keep their Faberge in one of those. Not that many terrorists would be buying enameled match-boxes in the first place.

: )

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Indeed, a Faberge case would enhance the look immensely. The San Francisco socialite, John Traina, has a large collection of rare Faberge cigarette cases which were covered in a book that was published called The Faberge Case. Those prices do not sound bad for a Faberge cigarette case. In fact, they're cheaper than what say, an 18kt gold case by Asprey would bring. Amongst the pens that Namiki did for Dunhill, they also did cigarette case and lighter sets that are magnificent.

19. j

j Senior member Admin

Here's my former daily carry lighter, a nicely worn silverplate Rollagas I found in a thrift shop for about $50. I lost it somehow, which is very unlike me. It must have fallen out of a pocket some long night.

[​IMG]

I'd like to replace it. Currently my carry lighter is a Dunhill Unique in goldplate but I'm hesitant to take it out because it was a gift, brand new, and I don't want to put the first major ding in it.

20. casanova

casanova Active Member

Those prices are for matchboxes. There were a few cigarette cases in that sale as I recall. Much more expensive than that though I'm afraid. You'll find them on the Sotheby's site. There was a sale inside the past year of Faberge pieces, in London I think, because the prices were quoted in GBP. A quick search should turn them up if you're interested.