1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cigarette for Beginner

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Jekyll, May 26, 2010.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Doesn't this thread belong in DTs?

Don't push your anti smoking agenda onto us!

2. RobertN

RobertN Member

I am a smoker. I smoke because I enjoy it and usually I smoke with my close friends - privately. And I am not cool. What does that say about me?

Have you ever thought what your absolutely appalling spelling and grammar says about you as 'a men'? Anything you type loses credibility when the reader has to decipher the intention behind your message, notwithstanding that your intention is fundamentally flawed.

Ohh I don't doubt you at all when you say you enjoy it. Nicotine is after all one of the most addictive substances in the world.

Now I'm not going to hold a anti-smoking speech here.

I can assure him though, women that don't smoke will never find him attractive. I mean really smell your shirt after a night at a smoky bar. That is what she will smell but more so since she doesn't smoke. So starting smoking might be very counter productive to what he wants to achieve.

And I'm very sorry for any mistakes in my English I'm not a native speaker so I apologise for any errors in my spelling or grammar.

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

I am not going to go on a anti-smoking diatribe here; I won't try to guilt you with stories about those around you, or the health effects, since smokers are aware of all that. But bottom line, don't start smoking.

I admit, it does feel pretty cool to smoke, and a smoke during a nice summer drive with the windows down and music playing is a pretty awesome feeling... And when you've got a nice buzz going, a cigarette really does hit the spot.

I was a light smoker for a short period of time, and I nipped it in the bud before it got worse. Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking was very helpful, so most of what is below is ripped off from that book...

Smoking does not relax you, it increases everyday stress and nervousness, robs you of your confidence and no regular smoker truly enjoys smoking.

Smoking merely lowers your 'base' level of comfort. The more and longer you smoke, the lower this base level of daily functioning gets. The false sense of relaxation and relief you get from smoking is simply getting back to your "normal" levels. The more you smoke the lower your base gets, and the more you crave a cigarette to get you back to "normal", and the greater the false sense of enjoyment and relaxation gets.

4. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

nobody really truly enjoys smoking.
    This is blatantly false. I smoke about 5 times a year and I enjoy every single time.

5. sonick

sonick Senior member

This is blatantly false. I smoke about 5 times a year and I enjoy every single time.

Redacted. No regular smoker truly enjoys smoking.

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Nothing sexier than a deft roll-your-own.

You can get filters for rollies at a decent tobacco shop too. Roll yourself an all-American unfiltered but if a lady should ask roll a filter in hers like a proper gentleman.

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

anyone tried these?

e-cigarette

8. PoloPlayr

PoloPlayr Well-Known Member

A men that smokes says two things:

1) I have a addictive personality
    2) I'm willing to sacrifise my health and those around my to be part of the "cool" group.

Neither is cool nor attractive. Define youself with your own style and people will recognise you as you are and you will find out there is nothing more actractive.

I don't even think you're buying that yourself.

9. yfarmanara

yfarmanara Well-Known Member

Lucky Strikes, it's TOASTED

[​IMG]

10. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Redacted. No regular smoker truly enjoys smoking.

When I was a smoker, I LOVED that first cigarette in the morning or the one after the first drink or sex. All the others were awful - just a chore topping-up my nicotine levels.

11. sonick

sonick Senior member

When I was a smoker, I LOVED that first cigarette in the morning or the one after the first drink or sex. All the others were awful - just a chore topping-up my nicotine levels.

Well the first cigarette in the morning makes sense. How many hours without nicotine would you have been running on by the time you woke up? You were basically topping up your nicotine levels after 5-8 hours without a smoke. I realized after, that it's not so much a sense of enjoyment, it's more just a sense of great relief to get that nicotine back in the system.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I am not going to go on a anti-smoking diatribe here; I won't try to guilt you with stories about those around you, or the health effects, since smokers are aware of all that. But bottom line, don't start smoking.

I admit, it does feel pretty cool to smoke, and a smoke during a nice summer drive with the windows down and music playing is a pretty awesome feeling... And when you've got a nice buzz going, a cigarette really does hit the spot.

I was a light smoker for a short period of time, and I nipped it in the bud before it got worse. Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking was very helpful, so most of what is below is ripped off from that book...

Smoking does not relax you, it increases everyday stress and nervousness, robs you of your confidence and no regular smoker truly enjoys smoking.
    Smoking merely lowers your 'base' level of comfort. The more and longer you smoke, the lower this base level of daily functioning gets. The false sense of relaxation and relief you get from smoking is simply getting back to your "normal" levels. The more you smoke the lower your base gets, and the more you crave a cigarette to get you back to "normal", and the greater the false sense of enjoyment and relaxation gets.

I am a regular smoker and thoroughly enjoy it.

13. sonick

sonick Senior member

Perhaps it's phrased too black and white. True, it's enjoyable, but it's enjoyment in a sense that you are relieving yourself of that hunger pang for a smoke. Without that pang in the first place, there would be no need to fill that void.

It's like any addiciton. You aren't comfortable when it's not in your system, but once it gets in there, your body is comfortable. That relief of getting to that baseline of normal "comfort" (meaning you have absolutely no craving for nicotine) relays as a feeling of 'enjoyment'.

Or kind of like finally being able to take a giant piss after holding it in for a long time. It builds up and builds up, until finally you have to go, and when you finally do it just feels soooooo good.

Anyways, no more of this shit from me in this thread, I promise.

14. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Doesn't this thread belong in DTs?

It would seem so.[​IMG]

15. mrkenlewis

mrkenlewis Member

Don't do it. It's cheaper to buy yourself a Rolex than to become a smoker.

16. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

American Spirit yellow. Chrome lighter or matches. Matches especially when the weather is poor, its extra badass points.

Good choice.

I smoke Camel Turkish Golds or Silvers; but probably only about 4 packs a year.

[​IMG]

anyone tried these?

I have read posts on message boards about them with the users raving about how great they are. Manly men who should be above sucking on a water vapor e-garette.

17. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Perhaps it's phrased too black and white. True, it's enjoyable, but it's enjoyment in a sense that you are relieving yourself of that hunger pang for a smoke. Without that pang in the first place, there would be no need to fill that void.

It's like any addiciton. You aren't comfortable when it's not in your system, but once it gets in there, your body is comfortable. That relief of getting to that baseline of normal "comfort" (meaning you have absolutely no craving for nicotine) relays as a feeling of 'enjoyment'.

Or kind of like finally being able to take a giant piss after holding it in for a long time. It builds up and builds up, until finally you have to go, and when you finally do it just feels soooooo good.

Anyways, no more of this shit from me in this thread, I promise.

I kind of agree with sonick here. I've been smoking for way too long to still consider it cool or truely enjoy it. Meaning I don't enjoy or get the enjoyment of smoking like the first cigarette anymore. There is no buzz, it's simply a disgusting habit I have yet to kick. I'm finally getting around to the self conscious aspect of it as well. ie. my teeth are yellowed because of it.

18. office drone

office drone Senior member

Yes...this.

19. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

[​IMG] But seriously folks, I actually had my first cigarette, an American Spirit Blue, a few days ago. It was a curiously underwhelming experience. I believe I inhaled properly, but I experienced nothing. About halfway through I gave up in disgust. Perhaps I was doin' it wrong?[​IMG]

20. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Shepheard's Hotel. Nothing beats these, I smoke about a pack a month or so.