Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cigarette advice sought

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by MrSmith2U, Oct 13, 2006.

1. MrSmith2U

MrSmith2U Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

This morning I happened upon my third born smoking in the Lodge.

Naturally I was faintly surprised, and not a little ashamed when my gaze rested upon the brand he was meekly holding: a garishly decorated packet with the words 'Lucky Strike' thereupon printed.

He informed me that the cigarettes in question were popular with the young people of his acquaintance. I was on the receiving end of down-wind cloud and almost dropped my Corona at the nauseous stench I received.
    I myself, in the distant past, used to smoke Boyards Maïs but realised the error of my ways; and the fact that their manufacture was brutally discontinued. My father was, sadly, in no position to offer me guidance.

I would be interested to hear what you would have me recommend him take up in place of this vulgar brand he believes is the bees knees.

Yours optimistically,

Mr Smith

Note to 'publisher':
    There seems to be a lack of cigar or pipe icon availabe for my use in this thread.
    Please see to it forthwith.

2. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Kick him in the balls.

3. A Canuker

A Canuker Distinguished Member

I'd have him take up the gym instead. As a former smoker since the age of 16 I can say with all honesty that this was the single most useless habit I have ever had. When compared to other useless habits like smoking dope or drinking one could make a case that with these at least your crushing brain cells and progressivly you won't know the difference, smokeing is not the case.

More then likely there is little to do save for advising that he should consider not smokeing at all. Preaching might do more harm then good but a friendly loan of deep thought could do something. Best of luck.

4. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Distinguished Member

if they are gonna smoke, american spirit or nat sherman. both are additive free. i personally smoke the american spirit roll your own... helps keep me smoking less. i somke about half of what i would if i had "normal" smokes.

shits bad for ya tho.....

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

He did you a favor by making you drop the Corona.

6. ATM

ATM Senior Member

First, do what johnapril suggested. Then kick yourself in the balls.

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

As he is your son, it may be possible to kick him so hard that it makes your own balls hurt. You would kill two birds with one stone, as it were, with that maneuver.

8. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

As he is your son, it may be possible to kick him so hard that it makes your own balls hurt. You would kill two birds with one stone, as it were, with that maneuver.

If at first you didn't feel it, try again harder...

9. MrSmith2U

MrSmith2U Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mr Cheapmutha, for the constructive input.

I fear the other recommendations would leave one, if not two, smarting somewhat, and obviate the purpose of my sincere enquiry entirely.

Still, the waters have been tested.

10. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

like smoking dope at least your crushing brain cells
    Negatory.

11. ATM

ATM Senior Member

I fear the other recommendations would leave one, if not two, smarting somewhat, and obviate the purpose of my sincere enquiry entirely.

Still, the waters have been tested.

It's a mad world.

12. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

if you have a doctor friend, try bringing home a human lung wrought with cancer. that'll knock the coolness out of those luckies (which are truly awful cigarettes, btw)

that worked for me when i was a boy- my science teacher showed us a human lung full of cancer spots. never smoked until my mid-20s!

13. Britalian

Britalian Distinguished Member

A move on from the Luckies would be wise.
    Try him on Davidoffs or if he's not keen, maybe Sobraine of London 100s. The 'common' alternative which appeals to many youngsters is 'Silk Cut' or the inevitable Marlboro Lights.

14. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

Okay, enough kicking. Now for some reality.

My grandfather smoked (Luckies, sans filter) for decades.
    By the time I was in college, he came to visit but could not climb any stairs for shortness of breath.
    By graduation he was stuck in Maryland, unable to travel.
    He could not travel down to Texas for my wedding.
    I brought Mrs. Thomas up to meet him - by this time he couldn't leave his apartment, and could hardly get out of his chair. He could hold up a conversation for around 20 - 30 minutes, but after that he was out of voice.
    Our last conversation, I could almost "hear" him smile, but not much else.
    Rest in Peace, Grandfather.

If you or yours are going to smoke, go ahead, but I doubt that swtiching brands would make much difference for the damage it can cause, and I couldn't let this go without getting this off my chest.

15. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

I used to smoke Luckies - nothing wrong with them. In fact, the whole point of smoking is to look cool. If you whip out a pack of Davidoffs, you don't look cool, you look like even more of a pussy than you looked like without smoking at all. Better to have him stick to the Luckies. The only thing worse than Davidoffs is More reds.

As for the American Spirit, I used to work at a convenience store selling cigarettes. Whenever anyone would ask for American Spirit, I thought to myself, "this person can't afford regular cigarettes."

By the way, in case you can't figure it out, this post was made with a certain amount of tongue in cheek.